Former monarchies historic discussion: France, Germany, Russia etc..

Started by amabel, January 10, 2010, 10:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

When Prince Frederick Charles of Hesse was King of Finland, what was the title of the heir to the throne?

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on April 13, 2024, 10:59:20 PM
When Prince Frederick Charles of Hesse was King of Finland, what was the title of the heir to the throne?

Crown Prince was the title, between Oct 1918 and Dec 1918, after which all concerned considered it a bad idea and the monarchy was abolished. He was married to Vicky's daughter Mossy by the way. Fritz Carl never reigned anyway, and lost his royal status within Germany as did members of all the other royal Houses in that country. He and Mossy lost half their six sons in World Wars 1+2.

LouisFerdinand

King Henry I of Portugal, who was a Roman Catholic Cardinal, reigned from 1578 to 1580.   
He served as regent until 1568 in the latter part of the minority of his grandnephew Sebastian who reigned 1557 to 1578. King Sebastian died in 1578. He had no children.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

The demise of Queen Maria I of Portugal's elder son to smallpox was something that she blamed herself for.   
She could have had him inoculated against the disease when he was young.
  However, she did not.

LouisFerdinand

Toward the end of his reign, King Frederick II of Prussia physically connected most of his realm by acquiring Polish territories in the First Partition of Poland.

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on April 26, 2024, 09:05:58 PM
Toward the end of his reign, King Frederick II of Prussia physically connected most of his realm by acquiring Polish territories in the First Partition of Poland.

Poland must be one of the most unfortunate geographically placed countries in recorded history. I have always been so glad that I was born and have lived on islands, including an island continent. No chance of nearby foreign nations slithering over into the country, acquiring some of this and bits of that by any and all means possible. With apologies to all who've had it done to them by GB!