William:Centrepoint Patron and other charities related to the homeless

Started by wannable, December 17, 2014, 12:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Twitter

QuotePrince William will visit Tarmac?s National Skills and Safety Park and will meet the company?s young apprentices to learn more about their roles and career ambitions before officially opening the centre.

There is also a second engagement in Nottinghamshire that day but it is currently embargoed. Details will be released later.

wannable

Nottinghamshire County Council
@NottsCC

There's a royal visitor in #Nottinghamshire today!
Our Chairman will attend the visit of HRH The Duke of Cambridge to
@TarmacLtd new National Skills and Safety Park.

Did you know that Nottingham's Radcliffe Road was the first tarmac road in the world

PrincessOfPeace

TLLK

Prince William's visit was the first royal visit to Mansfield since 1985 when his mother the late Diana, Princess of Wales visited.

Prince William visits Mansfield ? the first senior royal to visit town since his mother Diana in 1985 ? Royal Central

QuoteWilliam then traveled to The Beacon Project in Mansfield to hear more about the facility and the people it helps.

This was the first visit to Mansfield by a senior royal since his mother Diana, then the Princess of Wales, visited the former mining town in 1985.

Founded in 2001, The Beacon Project is a day centre that helps the homeless and vulnerable population around Mansfield by providing ?a welcoming and safe place where people can get a hot meal, clean clothes and access to toilet and shower facilities,? according to its website.

When the Project began, only five people utilised its services, but now over 50 are taken care of on a regular basis.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: TLLK on February 29, 2020, 12:16:25 AM
Prince William's visit was the first royal visit to Mansfield since 1985 when his mother the late Diana, Princess of Wales visited.

Prince William visits Mansfield ? the first senior royal to visit town since his mother Diana in 1985 ? Royal Central
Clearly a successful project!  Homelessness is, of course, an unhappy issue, but it is also an interesting one. I was part of a homelessness project in our area. I noticed that many (NOT ALL) of the people using the facility did not want permanent homes....they do not want that kind of life. For them, food, shelter from extreme cold, and toilet facilities (in that order) are what matters. So organizations that understand this and don't try to mold them into something the rest of us are is helpful and important. Sad fact of life, but there it is.

Curryong

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on March 03, 2020, 02:21:07 PM
Clearly a successful project!  Homelessness is, of course, an unhappy issue, but it is also an interesting one. I was part of a homelessness project in our area. I noticed that many (NOT ALL) of the people using the facility did not want permanent homes....they do not want that kind of life. For them, food, shelter from extreme cold, and toilet facilities (in that order) are what matters. So organizations that understand this and don't try to mold them into something the rest of us are is helpful and important. Sad fact of life, but there it is.

Yes, that is true of some longterm homeless people, and of course various forms of mental illness and/or addictions of various kinds are high among that sector.

I've been involved with homelessness in my social work for over twenty years however, and have found that a large part of the problem for others is high rent in the private sector caused by a dearth of public housing.

For people on inadequate social security incomes like single mums or the unemployed, crises can mean falling badly behind in rent arrears. This leads to eviction and then they couch surf or sleep in cars etc. Its an ongoing problem because governments never put enough money ever into affordable public housing.

PrincessOfPeace

Prince William has visited a facility for rough sleepers to see how a partnership of voluntary, community and public service organisations managed to provide support during COVID.

The Duke of Cambridge saw first-hand how dedicated services have been provided for people experiencing homelessness.

The Duke also spoke to past and present clients of a local shelter for the homeless

Prince William Visits a Homeless Facility for Rough Sleepers - YouTube

Macrobug67

Centrepoint

National charity providing accommodation and support for socially excluded, homeless young people.

PrincessOfPeace

TLLK

Quote40 years. 40 years of life-changing work @PassageCharity

Every time I come here, I am touched by the warmth and friendliness, and the dignity and respect you show to everyone who comes through your door.

Perfectly stated William. IMO this is so true to know that Passages has been providing life changing work for forty years now.

wannable

Rebecca English
@RE_DailyMail
I?m with the Duke of Cambridge as he visits Leeds to celebrate the welcoming, diverse, resilient communities across the region who have come together to support newly arrived refugees from Afghanistan to rebuild their lives. First stop, a hotel where the refugees are being housed.

William listened to some really traumatic stories today of people given hours - or sometimes minutes - warning to leave their homes, jobs and family.
Everyone he spoke to was hopeful of a bright future in the UK, but expressed fears for loved ones left behind in Afghanistan.

The community in Leeds - and across Yorkshire, in fact  - has come together in such a remarkable way to support those who arrived from Afghanistan. At their hotel there is a weekly playgroup for parents and young children.

He also met with families who experienced the relocation process six years ago who asked him to thank the British government - and the people of Yorkshire - for all they have done (one worked for the government and the other as a translator for the British military in Helmand )

https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/status/1465668307172868098
Rebecca English timeline in twitter has several clips of the visit.

TLLK

More on Prince William's visit to Afghan refugees in Leeds today. :snowflake: Glad to see that so many who served as translators and in other functions for the British have been evacuated and are being resettled in the UK.

Prince William visits Leeds to meet Afghan refugees after councils pledge to resettle 1,000 people - Leeds Live

QuoteThe Duke of Cambridge has visited Leeds to meet Afghan refugees as local councils promise to settle a thousand across Yorkshire.

Prince William came to a hotel in Leeds today, November 30, where refugees evacuated from Afghanistan are staying to hear their experiences.

Councils across Yorkshire have today also announced that 1,000 Afghan refugees will be resettled in the region.

Click here for more Leeds news and stories

The Duke of Cambridge came to Leeds to learn how Yorkshire charities and councils are helping refugees get settled.

All 15 councils in Yorkshire and the Humber have promised to resettle Afghan refugees whose lives are in danger in Afghanistan or who aided British forces.

There have 300 people resettled across Yorkshire and the Humber already.

Migration Yorkshire manages the Afghan Resettlement programmes for Yorkshire and the Humber and works closely with the Refugee Council and other charities.

Yorkshire and the Humber has been the first region in the UK to accept every major group of refugees since Kosovans arrived into Leeds Bradford airport under the Humanitarian Evacuation Programme in 1999.

Dave Brown, Head of Migration Yorkshire said: ?For those people who had to flee for their lives from Afghanistan, it was an incredible boost and an honour seeing the Duke of Cambridge, and also for all those who have worked tirelessly to support them.

TLLK

On January 20, 2022 while in Lancanshire, the Cambridges paid a visit to The Church in the Street. The organization assists the homeless and those in need.

WIlliam and Kate visit Church on the Street in Burnley - YouTube short video

Prince William Shares Moment with Young Boy During Church Visit with Kate | PEOPLE.com

Quoterry January 20, 2022 01:55 PM
FB
Tweet
The Duchess of Cambridge The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge meeting Pastor Mick Fleming during a visit to the Church on the Street (left) in Burnley
Kate Middleton and Prince William
| Credit: PA Images / Alamy Stock Photo

After surprising healthcare workers (and cuddling a therapy puppy!), Kate Middleton and Prince William continued their royal outing in Lancashire on Thursday with a visit to Church on the Street, a charity that lifts people out of poverty while providing a space for worship.

The couple visited with Pastor Mick Fleming, who has dedicated his time in lockdown to supporting the homeless. Pastor Fleming ? a former drug dealer who is now known for his charitable efforts ? started Church on the Street in 2019 to help the homeless and people living in poverty in the town of Burnley, about 240 miles northwest of London.

TLLK

A passerby in London noticed something familiar about the man selling copies of "The Big Issue" earlier this week.

Royal Family: Prince William praised for quietly selling Big Issue on London streets - MyLondon

QuoteThe Duke of Cambridge has received huge amounts of praise after it came to light that he had recently spent a day quietly selling The Big Issue on Rochester Row in Westminster. Prince William donned the famous red hat and vest and was seemingly only recognised by one member of the public during his outing.

The images of the second-in-line to the throne selling the paper on the street were shared by retired Met Police Chief Superintendent Matthew Gardner on his LinkedIn account.

It is understood that he took to the streets to raise money for those in need and for homeless charities. Prince William has been working to promote the cause for many years ever since his mother, Princess Diana, took him to meet rough sleepers in London when he was very young.

wannable

:notworthy:  I really like this approach very much.

It's like what do I have tomorrow, no video calls, no on site meetings, no vists in/out, then 'I will get my ID card worker for xxx and will dedicate that whenever I have those 'weekday' (s) available.

PrincessOfPeace

The Duke of Cambridge writes about why he took to the streets to sell The Big Issue and why ending homelessness is a cause close to his heart.

https://www.bigissue.com/opinion/prince-william-why-i-wanted-to-work-with-the-big-issue/