Global Political News and Elections Thread

Started by wannable, December 12, 2019, 10:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessOfPeace

PM Kim Campbell was in office from June to November 1993.

Canada had a PM for less than a year in 79-80. Joe Clark had won a minority government and Trudeau's Liberals defeated him on a vote of non-confidence.

TLLK

Curryong

wannable

BREAKING: The New York State Supreme Court just ordered that New York City reinstate all city employees with backpay who were fired due to the covid vax mandate.

Curryong

Thank God that hasn?t happened here. The judge is anti-vax it seems.

However there is an appeal.

https://abc7ny.com/covid-vaccine-nyc-mandate/12376163/

PrincessOfPeace

Quote from: wannable on October 25, 2022, 06:17:34 PM
BREAKING: The New York State Supreme Court just ordered that New York City reinstate all city employees with backpay who were fired due to the covid vax mandate.

The new Premier of the province of Alberta has apologised for the 'draconian' covid measures the province employed during lockdown, including vax mandates.

Alberta premier?s plan to forgive COVID fines has legal precedent, needs legislation: expert | Globalnews.ca

Curryong

Imran Khan shot in the leg, along with others, while on the campaign trail in Pakistan. Isn?t voting against a candidate at the ballot box enough?

Former Pakistan PM Imran Khan shot and wounded on campaign truck

Nightowl

Not anymore Curryong.......the world is in a very dark and scary place right now...my country's democracy is in trouble here and I fear what will happen in all the elections coming forth.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on November 03, 2022, 11:51:10 PM
Imran Khan shot in the leg, along with others, while on the campaign trail in Pakistan. Isn?t voting against a candidate at the ballot box enough?

Former Pakistan PM Imran Khan shot and wounded on campaign truck

One would think that would be enough but when former PM Abe was assassinated on the campaign trail, that reasonable act of voting for another candidate seems to be going by the wayside.

Recently Paul Pelosi (husband of Nancy Pelosi-Speaker of the House) was attacked with a hammer in the couple's San Francisco home.

Also a candidate for North Carolina's District 14 had a family member's home shot at. The candidate's young daughters were sleeping in a bedroom when shots were fired.

Shooting at NC-14 GOP candidate Pat Harrigan family home, none injured

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on November 04, 2022, 01:30:53 PM
One would think that would be enough but when former PM Abe was assassinated on the campaign trail, that reasonable act of voting for another candidate seems to be going by the wayside.

Recently Paul Pelosi (husband of Nancy Pelosi-Speaker of the House) was attacked with a hammer in the couple's San Francisco home.

Also a candidate for North Carolina's District 14 had a family member's home shot at. The candidate's young daughters were sleeping in a bedroom when shots were fired.

Shooting at NC-14 GOP candidate Pat Harrigan family home, none injured

Yes, we were just looking at footage on TV last night of Bhutto. She was blown up in an armoured truck I seem to remember. Her father had been assassinated when she was a girl.
The Pelosi attack was bizarre. Of course political assassinations and attempts aren?t exactly unknown in the US (and the country is riven by division at the moment) but this attack on Nancy?s elderly husband is particularly strange. I think the person involved is mentally ill. 

TLLK

The Pelosi attack seems to be getting stranger as it appears from footage that Paul Pelosi seemingly was somewhat familiar with the person who attacked him. The attacker reportedly is in the U.S. illegally and is likely to be deported to his native Canada.

David DePape: Immigration officials say Paul Pelosi attacker was in US illegally | CNN Politics

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on November 04, 2022, 10:18:41 PM
The Pelosi attack seems to be getting stranger as it appears from footage that Paul Pelosi seemingly was somewhat familiar with the person who attacked him. The attacker reportedly is in the U.S. illegally and is likely to be deported to his native Canada.

David DePape: Immigration officials say Paul Pelosi attacker was in US illegally | CNN Politics

Thanks TLLK. My son mentioned some early rumours about the two men that were circulating around the Net just after the attack became known. So?interesting? It?s a little strange that the attacker should be deported, however. Surely if a criminal offence is committed, even in private property, the jurisdiction in which the crime took place should be the one to try that person, whether the individual is from Canada, Chile, Timbuktu or the planet Mars. Anyway, I read that he?d been floating around the New Age traps and locales for several years. Odd!

TLLK

@Curryong-Yes it is very odd. I certainly don't believe certain salacious rumors but it is possible that Paul Pelosi had seen his attacker in the area and maybe had had an exchange with him at some point. It's just very bizarre. Like it's happened before with other mentally ill individuals who attack high profile people, the attacker seems to have been following a mix of extreme right and left wing conspiracies theories.  :(

wannable

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/

^ For more graphics of surveys.

I guess we have to wait for results, but it seems red is the colour.

Curryong

Well, I woke up this morning and saw the Dem slaughter/red wave I was dreading basically didn?t happen. Fierce battles going on throughout the country but any damage done to Dems with some of these results looks repairable in 2024. Many of the GOP candidates endorsed by Trump lost, so it will be interesting next week if, as he has signalled, Trump intends to announce that he will be running in 2024.

Exit polls apparently revealed that Inflation worries and the rollback of abortion rights in some States were chief concerns of voters, especially young women. Watch, listen and learn from this, legislators in some red States!

TLLK

Yes it was definitely not the "Red Wave" but more of a "Red Ripple." There are some contests that have still not been decided and I believe that Georgia will be heading to a run off to determine the next Senator from the Peach State.

It appears  at this point in time that the Republicans will control the House of Representatives. The Senate's outcome (51 required for a majority) is still being determined. There are currently two Independents in the Senate.

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm-elections-results-nov-9-198d61bcafe31d96c0a966eae7492756

Curryong

Yes TLLK, the results came as something of a relief to me this morning. Of course it?s expected that incumbent Presidents lose seats in the midterms but this seems manageable at the moment. I believe Bernie Sanders is an independent Senator who generally votes with the Dems, not sure about the other, I believe I read he is also left-leaning but I may be misremembering. The Dems should be reasonably happy though of course it means a difficult passage for the next 18 months for some legislation to be passed.

TLLK

The race to control the Senate will come down to the Georgia run off as neither candidate garnered the necessary over 50 % to be declared the winner.
Currently the GOP has 49 seats, the Dems 48 and there are 2 Independents.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on November 10, 2022, 05:34:18 PM
The race to control the Senate will come down to the Georgia run off as neither candidate garnered the necessary over 50 % to be declared the winner.
Currently the GOP has 49 seats, the Dems 48 and there are 2 Independents.

Thanks TLLK. Yes, an exciting contest so far and really getting down to the wire in the Senate.

Curryong

A report from the BBC analysing the whys and wherefores of why these US midterms have turned out very differently (so far!) to what was predicted. It?s certainly been a change from every midterm election for decades. In a way the Dem Party has the Supreme Court decision on Roe/Wade to thank for the energising of Gen Z voters who were outraged and turned out in droves. Good to see!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63569850

wannable

I'm surprised it's almost equal halves for each party, the ''close call'' in the majority of the mid term elections, minus 15 states no election.

The reps are quiet, the dems are giving woke answers to the tendency.  I actually thought the latter (dems) were going to win with a ''superiority victory''.

It's not interesting to me to see the divide, in politics I prefer a superiority victory in order to work better/results rather than that divide, which makes decisions to be halted or slow down.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on November 13, 2022, 12:55:20 PM
I'm surprised it's almost equal halves for each party, the ''close call'' in the majority of the mid term elections, minus 15 states no election.

The reps are quiet, the dems are giving woke answers to the tendency.  I actually thought the latter (dems) were going to win with a ''superiority victory''.

It's not interesting to me to see the divide, in politics I prefer a superiority victory in order to work better/results rather than that divide, which makes decisions to be halted or slow down.

I have to say that it surprises me to read above that apparently you expected that the Dems were going to win, as you posted on this forum just before the midterms  a VERY large coloured printed diagram showing a projected decisive GOP victory, and you yourself also stated under that diagram that ?the colour appears to be red? predicting a Republican win.

I don?t know about ?woke? but there is evidence that all over the country, even in red states, newly registered Gen Z voters, both male and female, turned out in large numbers to make sure that anti abortion rights candidates were defeated, an example of how the Superior Court Roe/Wade decision has impacted on the young, especially females.

The US is no longer living in a world of hats with white gloves and pearls circa 1959 and a woman?s right to choose what to do with her body has been supported for decades.That was accepted by Americans in poll after poll in recent years. But not apparently by the Supreme Court!  These rights were in  danger of being removed in some State legislatures (and in the past few months in several States voters have refused to ratify such anti abortion rights laws.) And as one young male voter stated when leaving a polling station a few days ago ?What?s going to be next? Gay rights repealed? Not if I can help it!? And he was correct, imo.

I don?t know what you mean by ?a superiority victory?. Every victory won by votes in the ballot box is a ?superior victory?. I suppose you mean a clear victory by one side or the other? Well, all I know is that in every mid term election for decades the incumbent administration has lost significant seats in Congress. Well it hasn?t happened this time in the same way, leaving Republicans, except for the appalling DeSantis in Florida, floundering, and that includes many Trumpite candidates who lost their battle. Good!! Great, say I!!

wannable

An opinion (my opinion above) versus what one reads from reliable (political) sources, basically a copy/paste but not exactly, said it with my own words rather than taking an entire paragraph (a couple of weeks ago).

That is the difference.

Curryong

I take it then that you are happy with the Dems doing very well in the midterms and Republican candidates and Trumpites losing seats, quite badly in some cases. Wonderful for women who believe in legislatures keeping a female?s right to choose.