The quarterly and annual royal tallies 2019 to the present

Started by TLLK, May 28, 2019, 04:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Clover

TLLK

Prince Charles emerges as hardest-working royal of 2019

Prince Charles has eclipsed Princess Anne as the hardest working royal this year after attending 521 functions, it has emerged.

The Princess Royal, historically the most industrious of the family, had 506 engagements in 2019, The Times said.

The siblings have shared the bulk of royal duties since the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh began to scale back their work in the mid-1990s.

In total, the royal family undertook 3,567 varied engagements in 2019, with The Prince of Wales visiting Japan for see Emperor Naruhito take the throne and Cornwall for a tour of the sausage roll company Ginsters.

The Earl of Wessex attended 308 engagements, and the Queen 295. Prince Andrew, who has faced criticism over his relationship with the convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, attended 274 engagements, his fewest for 20 years.

Unless other members take up the slack next year, the total number of royal engagements could drop below 3,5000 for the first time since 1986.

The statistics were compiled by Times reader Tim O'Donovan, who has monitored the royal family's public service since 1979.

The Queen 295
Prince of Wales 521
The Duchess of Cornwall 224
Duke of Cambridge 220
Duchess of Cambridge 126
Duke of Sussex 201
Duchess of Sussex 83
Princess Anne 506
Prince Andrew 274
Earl of Wessex 308
Countess of Wessex 236
Duke of Kent 203
Duke of Gloucester 226
Duchess of Gloucester 84
Princess Alexandra 60

Like "Gert" and the poster from the big royal forum, Tim O'Donovan uses the printed and online versions  of their Court Circular as their source of information. However since all three that I have seen have had different sums for each other working members, there doesn't seem to be a set manner in how an engagement is considered to be part of the tally. The British royal family reportedly does not keep an official tally.

For those of you who want to find out a bit more on Mr. O'Donovan, the following is an informative article...even if it was in the Daily Mail. The late King George V actually met the newborn Tim O'Donovan as an infant when the King paid a visit to the hospital in which he was born.

Who the hardest working royal REALLY is | Daily Mail Online

Curryong

I've been waiting for this to come out. Look forward to it every year. The Queen keeps on going, nearly 300 engagements. Her cousin the Duke of Kent, in his eighties and not well, over 200. Even Alexandra did 60. And Harry 201, his wife, in her birth and maternity leave year, 83.

The last I read, many of Andrew's remaining charities are mothballed for the duration (although how long remains debatable.) Apart from Pitch I think some of the more worthwhile ones could be shared out among other royals. Those charities are blameless. It's not their fault their Patron turned out as he has.

TLLK

@Curryong-Yes I agree that Andrew's remaining patronages/charities/military appointments will be in a state of limbo because IMO he possibly believes that he's in "time out" for a short duration and then will return. However I do believe that more will choose to drop him though.

TLLK

How many days  did QEII's Scandinavian and Spanish peers have public engagements in 2019? (Nothing available for the  Benelux nations, Monaco, Lichtenstein or the ME/Asian monarchies.)
How many days did the Scandinavian and Spanish royal families work in 2019? ? Royal Central

The poster at the big forum did keep a tally for the number of days worked in 2019 for the BRF so I do have QEII's.

The most active was Spain's Felipe-180, followed by: Sweden's-Carl Gustav-141, Norway's-Harald-123, UK's Elizabeth-120,  finishing with Denmark's-Margrethe-116.

oak_and_cedar

The Prince of Wales and Princess Anne both did around 500 engagements each. At their age it is very admirable.

The most impressive is HM who reached 300 engagements. My goodness. Very admirable.

TLLK

Going by days worked the winner among all of these families is ...The Princess Royal with 191 days worked.  :happy17:
British Days worked: Charles-160, Camilla-98, William-123, Catherine-83, Harry-95, Meghan (maternity leave)-41, Andrew (before mid-Nov.) 129, Edward-121, Sophie-95, Richard-112, Brigitte-62, Edward Kent-110.

Denmark days worked: Frederik-96, Mary-104, Joachim-23, Marie-32, Benedikte-78 (Joachim and Marie moved to France in 2019 for new positions.)

Sweden days worked:-Slivia-126, Victoria-138, Daniel-98, Carl Phillip-52, Sofia-52, Madeline-17

Norway days worked: Sonja-70, Haakon-156, Mette-Marit-36 (Health issues), Martha Louise-6, Astrid-11.

Spain days worked: Letizia-123, Juan Carlos-8, Sofia-21, Elena-3.

oak_and_cedar

Well, those are all good numbers IMO.

I do wonder if prince Philip will ever make a 'semi' official appearance again.

Curryong

Comparing the BRF numbers with those of Spain and the Scandinavian countries is like comparing apples and oranges though. No other monarchy in the world has the number of full time royals on roster that the British Royal family does, the Spanish Royals for instance have just the King and Queen. Tiny Denmark, with few big centres of population, has five full time representatives while Sweden has six.

None of the others mentioned has a Commonwealth that their royals tour regularly either, though Spain does have Latin spheres of interest which are visited, though not as regularly as British royals do with the Commonwealth. So really, while interesting figures, these say nothing comparitively speaking.

TLLK

I agree it's difficult to compare, but it's still interesting IMHO.  :happy: Besides it's the "slow winter season."  :snowflake:

Curryong

I love that Mary of Denmark has performed more yearly engagements than the heir, her husband. That should make the posters at a certain dishy forum happy as its averred there that Mary is the nasty power behind the (coming) throne pushing aside her spineless, wandering eye Frederik aside at every opportunity!

TLLK

This accounting was done by the team at UFO No More and there is a short disclaimer.

QuoteAt the end of each year, we can study and comment on the work of the British Royal Family. The UFO No More team decided to look at the work of the Scandinavian and Spanish royal families which is something that is not always done.

Before diving into the data, a small disclaimer is needed. These numbers represent the days worked by each member of the royal families based on their official calendar. Of course, there are meetings, ?office work? to prepare each event that we don?t know about, so they are all working more than these numbers show, but they still are a good overview. It was decided to count the days worked rather than the numbers of events because it was easier but also clearer. Naturally, they sometimes attend several events a day.

AFAIK these are the only royal families who keep a form of a  public diary (UK-Court Circular) available for viewing via print or electronic media.

Double post auto-merged: January 05, 2020, 09:56:29 PM

That team also posted their annual "The Price is Right" fashion tally for 2019 so you can go to their site if you are interested. :Jen:

TLLK

Thread dedicated to the annual engagements tally for the British Royal Family

This is  a quarterly tally based upon the Court Circular listed engagements for the BRF. :Jen: :windsor1:
(Unfortunately many of the activities for the family have been postponed or cancelled at this point in times especially for those members who are over seventy years of age: QEII, PoW, DssoC, Gloucesters and Kents) :( Also I am including the engagements of the Sussexes and the DoY that have been recorded in the CC for 2020.

QEII-61, PoW-115, DssoC-42, DoCam-56, DssoCam-41, DoS-2, DssoS-1, DoY-1, EoW-62, CoW-60, PssR-91, TL-10, DoG-34, DssoG-12, DoK-34, PssA-7.

Blue Clover

TLLK

The Firm continuing to hold its meetings while the UK is on a stay at home order. The CC has entries for  PoW, DoCam and EoW all having meetings with their organizations this week via telephone or video conference. Also QEII continues her weekly meetings with the PM over the phone.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: TLLK on March 26, 2020, 03:15:12 AM
The Firm continuing to hold its meetings while the UK is on a stay at home order. The CC has entries for  PoW, DoCam and EoW all having meetings with their organizations this week via telephone or video conference. Also QEII continues her weekly meetings with the PM over the phone.
Wonderful! And hopefully the POW continues to have a mild case. I understand that he and the Duchess are isolated from each other at Birkhall. Thank goodness, as she is clearly one we don't want to get sick.

TLLK

Quarterly tally for the BRF at around the six month mark. It includes a mix of in-person and virtual engagements for 2020 for the members of the BRF who carry out official engagements. This does include the activities of the Sussexes and the DoY for engagements listed in the Court Circular.  :crown: :coach:

QEII-87, PoW-162, DssoC-59, DoCam-109, DssoCam-67, DoS-2, DssoS-1, DoY-1, EoW-80, CoW-88, PR-127, TL-11, DoG-54, DssoG-29, DoK-38, PA-12.

TLLK

3. The overall number of engagements has plunged in 2020. Usually by the August vacation break, the royals have completed more than 2,000 engagements. This year, they haven?t even cracked the 1,000 level. An excellent color coded graph for the British engagements in 2020. It color codes the months from Jan.-Aug and compares to the previous years.

THE ODDEST OF ROYAL WORK YEARS, IN CHARTS | Write Royalty

QuoteThe year started out normally. On Jan. 5, the head of the royal family started her work schedule for 2020. That day, Queen Elizabeth II ?presented The Queen Elizabeth Prize for Academic Excellence at Springwood High School, King?s Lynn, to Ellie Chen, who was introduced into Her Majesty?s presence by Mr. Andrew Johnson, the Headmaster,? the Court Circular reported.

Almost immediately, things went off the usually polished, honed rails. First, Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex announced they were jettisoning their roles as senior working royals, then, two months later, the COVID-19 pandemic hit Britain. The royals soldiered on until mid-March, then they suddenly stopped all public engagements as they hunkered down in their homes. A few days later, they started again, but by video and phone. A huge number of the COVID-19 era engagements were remote meetings with charities.

The COVID-19 era, which began on March 24, ended on June 15. The next day, Prince Charles and other top royals appeared in public at in-person engagements. Everything was very distanced (no handshakes, no indoor events, nothing announced in advance to deter crowds from forming). But the royals were back in public. Still, video and phone meetings continued.

So, how much did COVID-19 disrupt the royal schedule for 2020? A lot.

Using a new tool, Infogram interactive charting software, I plotted what happened in 2020, then compared it to previous years.

1. The ranking of hardest royals is pretty much the same as previous years, though, by the end of July, Prince William has vaulted into third spot.2. The type of work has changed radically to accomodate the reality of a worldwide pandemic. In-person engagements all but disappeared during the COVID-19 lockdown, and are still in the minority after the reopening started in June. 

wannable

@sara8150 Where are you!!! If someone has her contact, please find out if she's well. I miss her article postings.

The Royal Family
@royalfamily

The Queen has sent a message of condolence to the Lord-Lieutenant of Kincardineshire, following the train crash near Stonehaven.

TLLK

I just sent a PM mesage to sara8150 to check on her.

TLLK

It's been awhile but here are in the last quarter of the year...one that most of us would probably want to forget! :wacko:

The update on the BRF engagements. (Those in italics are no longer full time working royals.)

QEII-112, DoE-3 PoW-218, DssC-103, DoCam-150, DssoCam-97, DoS-2, DssoS-1, DoY-1, EoW-142, CssoW-127, PssR-194, TL-11, DoG-63, DssoG-43, DoK-58, PssA-13.
Not surprisingly the older member of the family QEII and her cousins have lower engagement numbers than usual.

TLLK

So we're coming into the final days of 2020 with an update on the BRF's engagements. :crown: :happyuk:
Here they are and those who are no longer full time are in italics.

QEII-139, DoE-3, PoW-282, DssoC-139, DoCam-186, DssoCam-129, DoS-2, DssoS-1, DoY-1, EoW-189, CoW-166, PR-247, TL-12, DoG-77, DssoG-54, DoK-71, PA-13.

Curryong

Some of the more elderly members of the BRF like the Kents/Alexandra pulled back quite a bit, not perhaps being very comfortable with zoom , or performing engagements with masks. Of the other members I think that a good 65% of their engagements this year were by zoom and phone. It must have been a very weird sensation. Of course it will continue into next year. Not everyone in Britain will be vaccinated by next autumn.

TLLK

While we're waiting for Mr. Tim O'Donovan's annual tally to The Times, here's another one from Write Royalty with an impressive number of graphs and pie charts based upon the Court Circular. Here's the list according to who came in first, second etc... in this tally for 2020. (Keep in mind that things can shift a bit when compared to other tallies.) Overall the total number of engagements are down due to cancellations in domestic and foreign events as well as the fact that the Sussexes and DoY are no longer undertaking royal duties that are recorded in the Court Circular.

Royal family in 2020, a.k.a. an odd royal work year
1. PoW 2. PR 3. DoCam 4. EoW 5. CssoW 6.  QEII 7. DssoC 8. DssoCam 9. DoG 10. DoK 11. DssoG 12. PA.

Curryong

It has been an extremely odd year for the working royals. However, in spite of their ages and considering the Queen's, I'm not surprised to see Charles and Anne still leading the pack in spite of Covid. They do so almost every year and both have a considerable number of patronages. Zoom and other alternate communications have certainly come into their own in 2020.