Will Prince George ever become King George?

Started by Limabeany, October 24, 2013, 07:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limabeany

Why Prince George will never be king
QuoteBut have not the Cambridges rescued the monarchy's image? There is no evidence that William and Catherine have reconnected the royals with the people. The Cambridges are very much celebrities appealing to a younger generation. But there is only anecdotal evidence that they have improved the image of the monarchy.  Clearly, the Queen has done that and there is nothing to suggest that the Prince of Wales will sustain that relationship. After his coronation, the polling history of the royals will be re-written.

After Charles will come the universally popular William and Catherine.  Young, smiling, connecting as young parents openly preferring a night in with a fish supper. That's a now image. Given the longevity of the British royals, they will both be well into middle age by the time William is crowned and the pollsters will have quite different questions to ask.

On similar actuarial evidence, George could be well into his 60s before crowning – certainly 60 years from now. Here is the earth in the debate over royalty's future.     
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

georgiana996

Surround yourself with people who are going to lift you higher.

FanDianaFancy

Yes, as sure as the sun  comes up and the the next day  changes  to a new one,  the BRF  will long reign and Prince George  will become  King George.

I  am  not  saying  I  am  pro or  anti monarchist  because  it  really does not matter...my belief  does  not  matter.

The British  people  can never  and will never  be  alllowed  or have another way  to rid themselves  of the BRF, the  class  system of the nobility  and  the  whole sytem.

SophieChloe

I'm starting to doubt that William with make it there, let alone George. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Limabeany

I don't think George will make it there, if William keeps being a decorative recluse, by the time he and the wife decide to work regularly to make themselves relevant through work instead of because they look good, they might be too old for people to care about people who are no longer attractive, it is their youth and looks that make people want to see them, neither has any other achievement unlike Charles, if that is gone by the time they decide to stop playing Greta Garbo and Howard Hughes,
I don't see the Monarchy existing happily ever after. Too many people underestimate how much of a deterrent of criticism and of a real debate on the value of the Monarchy HM is. 

Charles is facing a very difficult time ahead unless William is already an asset. not a decorative asset but one with a visible, palpable and actionable purpose of his own before HM passes.

After she passes, anything he does will be received as bandages on a wounded Monarchy, the biggest wound of all being her death because Charles has many detractors and it will be impossible to muzzle them when HM is no longer here, too many are simply biding their time because they know when she passes, there will be no public outcry at their suggestions simply because Charles doesn't command the love and respect that HM does which makes debates on the Monarchy easily ended by the mention of how valuable she is.

William needs to have an agenda and a purpose that is real and that can be asset to Charles in defending the Monarchy after HM passes, otherwise George won't be King...
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

SophieChloe

Once again - perfection  :notworthy: :notworthy: :love6:

Eri

The child is three Months old for God sake !!!  :loco:

georgiana996

Quote from: Limabeany on October 31, 2013, 11:05:49 PM
I don't think George will make it there, if William keeps being a decorative recluse, by the time he and the wife decide to work regularly to make themselves relevant through work instead of because they look good, they might be too old for people to care about people who are no longer attractive, it is their youth and looks that make people want to see them, neither has any other achievement unlike Charles, if that is gone by the time they decide to stop playing Greta Garbo and Howard Hughes,
I don't see the Monarchy existing happily ever after. Too many people underestimate how much of a deterrent of criticism and of a real debate on the value of the Monarchy HM is. 

Charles is facing a very difficult time ahead unless William is already an asset. not a decorative asset but one with a visible, palpable and actionable purpose of his own before HM passes.

After she passes, anything he does will be received as bandages on a wounded Monarchy, the biggest wound of all being her death because Charles has many detractors and it will be impossible to muzzle them when HM is no longer here, too many are simply biding their time because they know when she passes, there will be no public outcry at their suggestions simply because Charles doesn't command the love and respect that HM does which makes debates on the Monarchy easily ended by the mention of how valuable she is.

William needs to have an agenda and a purpose that is real and that can be asset to Charles in defending the Monarchy after HM passes, otherwise George won't be King...

:goodpost: as usual
But I feel William doesn't want it he and kate would be fine living the highlife without any work and they have the inheritance to do it he's happy to be middleton and normal , my theory is after HM passes on we will see William walking away and passing it on to harry goal one knows if he's already is secretly being prepped for the job of King there are royal watchers who suggested that they were preparing harry
Surround yourself with people who are going to lift you higher.

amabel

William CANNOT "pass it to Harry".  He might abdicate, though I think it is unlikely.  The monarchy MIGHT end in another 30 years, that's a possiblity but not I think likely.  But if Will were to abdicate, he woudl have to do so in favour of his own son.

PaulaB

Why worry about it unless I have the same luck my grandmother had I doubt I will see it.  She was born in 1884 and died in 1966 so she lived through the last years of Queen Victoria, King Edward VII, King George V, King Edward VIII, King George VI and part of the reign of Queen Elizabeth II.

Windsor

The Monarchy will continue for centuries and centuries to come, just as it has done for the past few centuries.  :windsor1:

Mike

Am I correct is thinking only an act of Parliament could end the monarchy?  If so, George will be there regardless of the name he chooses.
Mark Twain:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
and
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

Limabeany

However it ends,  I don't think George will be King but if he is, he'll be the last. I don't see people hanging on to that for dear life in 50 years...

amabel

Quote from: Mike on November 01, 2013, 07:50:25 PM
Am I correct is thinking only an act of Parliament could end the monarchy?  If so, George will be there regardless of the name he chooses.
Yes of course.  The monarchy is established by law and can only be removed by law.  George will be king, almost certainly because I think it is unlikely that people will want to get rid of it.

SophieChloe

People are queuing at food banks the Red Cross are collecting for hungry families this year. Do you really believe the royals will be tolerated into the future?  We have William and Kate (Greta and Howard) who seem beyond reluctant to do get their backsides into gear anytime soon.   

The people at the palace(s) will have a job on their hands to convince the future generations that these "royals" are relevant in their liifetime.   

Limabeany

I agree, times are changing and it is dellusional to think the Monarchy will be around forever.  :shrug:

Windsor

For centuries people have speculated about the end of the Monarchy, especially when there are plenty of living direct heirs to the throne. It was said the Monarchy would not survive after King George III, then again after Queen Victoria, and now of course after Queen Elizabeth II, or a future King George VII (Prince Charles) or a possible King George VIII (Prince George)

The Monarchy is the most stable of institutions and has kept these old islands secure and stable for almost two thousand years. Long may it continue.

Limabeany

For centuries the Monarchy had a real tangible purpose other than to wave at people and show up places for photo ops. The Monarchy may be a long-running institution but it is not the most stable institution because it is not a necessary or relevant institution.

Windsor

Make of the Royal Family what you will, but the institution of Monarchy as such is still very relevant and important even in our Modern times. It is the guardian of our freedoms and liberties. It prevents greedy politicians from obtaining absolute power. It is the ultimate system of checks and balances in our political set up.

The Monarchy also opens many doors when it comes to international diplomacy, hence why members of the Royal Family are often asked to travel abroad on behalf of the Government. Another added benefit is the huge support to Charities the Royal Family provide, as well as the bonus of the increase in morale in our Armed Services, the Police and other sectors of our Public Services. Not to mention the tried and tested theory of the Monarchy being the beacon of absolute national stability.

On top of that, we have the most highly recognisably and respected Head of State in the world, which coincidently helps put Britain on the map.

Limabeany

It is entirely dependant on whether the heir to the position is qualified and capable of doing all that you attribute to him (which is nothing another institution that is based on merit and not on bloodline (qualified or not) can't do). If the heir is not capable the system of checks and balances will not work. So, it is a sketchy system of checks and balances as sketchy and dodgy as if politicians were running it and, ay least the politicians can be booted out.

Elizabeth will not live forever and she is the only person in the family, aside from Anne, about whom you can use the words respected, blah blah blah and not be sneered at by many.

amabel

So? I cant think of many heads of state who have plenty of people who don't respect them or think well of them.  The fact is that the monarchy is at present the institution that the British people are accepting, to provide a head of state.  If that changes, and the bulk of Brits DONT want it any more, it will be removed.  for now, however I see no signs that it si not quite well accepted.   

Limabeany

Quote from: amabel on November 03, 2013, 01:50:36 PM
So? I cant think of many heads of state who have plenty of people who don't respect them or think well of them. 
But they can be booted out.
Quote from: amabel on November 03, 2013, 01:50:36 PMfor now, however I see no signs that it si not quite well accepted. 
The Queen is still alive.

amabel

yes and so can the RF if the British public don't want a monarchy.  If they were really hostile to the idea of the RF and to Charles or William succeeding whey wait for the Queen to die?   there was a time when it did look as if Charles' marital woes were going to come against him, and that he might not be King but the fact that by the time he married Camilla, the public were indifferent, shows that he's accepted as the queen's heir...

Limabeany

When the Queen dies, the real future of the Monarchy will be evident, no one can claim that people will be as adoring of either heir.

amabel

I see no sign that they are "adoring"of the queen.  She's respected by many people.  Most people probably don't think of her form one year to the next.  Some like her a lot, and admire her, on a personal level - others like the monarchy as an institution and prefer ti to a republic. The monarch does not have to be "adored" just accepted as king or queen.
And I don't see again why the "British republicans" are so shy about their cause that they are waiting for the Queen to die. If they want to end the monarchy it will be done properly and legally as indeed it must.  So they would be setting up a political party, aiming at getting a majority in Parliament, and working towards this over the next few years. I see no signs of this.  The Tories are in power with some Liberal Dems and probably will win the next Election.  The Labour party is not particularly republican minded....