Princess Eugenie, Jack Brooksbanks and Family General Chat

Started by wannable, May 31, 2018, 07:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

Well, Harry quite obviously wants to be kept as a tenant at FC. We don't know what the Sussexes' plans for next year are, (you don't, I don't, and in fact nobody on this forum does) and there are plenty of people living in the US who can afford it who have a home in Britain or Europe.

His grandmother gave him FC on a lease and that's that. The latest story from the tabloids is that he and Eugenie (to whom Harry has always been close) arranged the sublet between themselves and then let the Queen and presumably her parents know afterwards.

wannable

Ultimately Jack and Eugene are living in FC.  The monarch is the only one officially and technically to make about leasings and what not the crown estate corporation. The corporation has to notify the government.

PrincessOfPeace

Moving vans in the middle of night isnt exactly a good look. Makes it seem shady. Whatever the technicalities of the lease, for all intents and purposes its Eugenie and Jacks home now. Meghan and Harry live in California.

I think the narrative that its still H&Ms *official residence* is for tax purposes. I doubt they will spend any time there in the future.

Curryong

As I said before nobody knows how much time Harry and Meghan are going to spend in the UK next year. Certainly nobody on this forum knows. And it remains the Sussexes' home, with Eugenie and Jack paying installed there, paying rent to them, a perfect arrangement really, for a very ugly and poky house.

Harry gets no tax benefits from the lease so he has his close cousin and her husband there at FC for the time being.

Amabel2

Quote from: Curryong on November 22, 2020, 12:44:37 PM
Well, Harry quite obviously wants to be kept as a tenant at FC. We don't know what the Sussexes' plans for next year are, (you don't, I don't, and in fact nobody on this forum does) and there are plenty of people living in the US who can afford it who have a home in Britain or Europe.

His grandmother gave him FC on a lease and that's that. The latest story from the tabloids is that he and Eugenie (to whom Harry has always been close) arranged the sublet between themselves and then let the Queen and presumably her parents know afterwards.
I dont know of any evidence that Harry wants to remain as tenant of Frogmore.  What is the point?  He and Meg are settled in the US, she clearly likes it a lot better there, and I doubt if she would willingly settle in England again.. so Harry's not going to want to move back.  And if they HAVE done a deal with J and Eugenie and only told the queen afterwards I dont think that is going to go down well with the queen.  It is a crown property.. she gave occupancy of it to harry as a wedding present, and I would guess that she has hoped that he would come back there to live...  If he doesn't want to, and I dont think he does, it would be better for him to give it up and let someone else have it...

Curryong

Well, we will have to wait and see what happens in 2021 won't we, rather than endlessly speculating that people we don't know won't want this, don't want to do that, wouldn't care for the other. It's all perception anyway, depending on whether we like or don't like the Royal concerned.

It's all guess work. 99% of what royals want, care about or intend to do or not do, is hidden away from public view. Every now and again an RR strikes gold with some leak from a palace insider and observers behave as if all RR's extremely knowledgable about every member of the RF. Well, they're not. It's not been a month since they were all chiming together that Harry was coming home and that was why FC was being brushed up.

wannable

I see them going to the UK similar to the Duke of Windsor.  Night shifts cost double for any kind of job.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on November 22, 2020, 03:53:55 PM
I see them going to the UK similar to the Duke of Windsor.  Night shifts cost double for any kind of job.

That depends, doesn't it, on whether you believe the bit in the Sun that reports that furniture and other things were removed in the middle of the night. I don't. You believe what you want. However there are other reports that no furniture went anywhere.

Harry and the Duke of Windsor's situation are completely and utterly different. For one thing it was made clear to the ex King-Emperor that he and his wife were better off in exile. They rarely even saw Queen Mary though they only lived across the Channel. On the other hand with Harry, Queen Elizabeth has made it plain, publicly and privately that if Harry and his family wanted to come back and be working royals again they could and can.

I don't think Harry wants that at all but without Covid we don't know how many trips back to the UK there will be for the Sussexes's next year and in the future, so it's all speculation again, depending on whether you like them or not. And you plainly don't, while I plainly do.

Amabel2

It may be that the queen hoped in January that Harry would come back, that they'd find Canada where they were then supposed to be settling not right for them and probably hoped that things would come about that Harry regretted leaving and would want to come home.  Now I don't think that ther's any doubt that as long as he is with Meghan he wont want to come home.  She would hardly say publicly anyway that she wasn't happy with Harry's decision or that he wasn't welcome...

Curryong

My last post was in reply to the contention by wannabie that the Sussexes' situation was akin to the Duke and Duchess of Windsor's visits to the UK in the decades after 1936. I was pointing out that it was very unalike. For instance King George did not release a statement in 1936 stating that he loved his brother and would welcome him back at any time.

That would have been ridiculous, and so is the contention that Harry and Meghan are somehow the modern Duke and Duchess of Windsor. I repeat again, No-one knows what the Sussexes plans are for 2021 or how many times next year and the years afterwards that they will return to Britain, for whatever reason.

Amabel2

Of course George VI didn't release a statement about the Duke of Windsor,  Royals didn't do that kind of thing at the time.  I don't think anyone did... 
The queen lives in a different era and perhaps felt the need to say something about her grandson's choice to move away.. and she made it clear that while he was still part of her family he was not part of the working family any more.  I think she's hoping or at least did hope that he would change his mind in the following year and might come back.. so she's emphasized that the doors open.  Hhowever I dont believe he will come back except for visits.  Do you really think that Meghan wants to see teh UK again?

Curryong

I don't know that Meghan wants to be in the UK all the time, as the British tabloids constant Aunt Sally ever again. No I don't. In the very difficult first couple of years many ex pats have great homesickness.

But to convert that to a hatred or even dislike for Britain and/or the British people is drawing a pretty long bow. She, (as well as Harry) still has friends in the UK, including a very longterm friend Lyndsey who lives in London. Meghan was always happy to meet British people connected to her charities and to chat to people in the crowds who came to see her.

sara8150

Quote from: Amabel2 on November 23, 2020, 07:30:39 PM
Of course George VI didn't release a statement about the Duke of Windsor,  Royals didn't do that kind of thing at the time.  I don't think anyone did... 
The queen lives in a different era and perhaps felt the need to say something about her grandson's choice to move away.. and she made it clear that while he was still part of her family he was not part of the working family any more.  I think she's hoping or at least did hope that he would change his mind in the following year and might come back.. so she's emphasized that the doors open.  Hhowever I dont believe he will come back except for visits.  Do you really think that Meghan wants to see teh UK again?

Harry and Meghan is no longer members of royal family due HM Queen strip Harry and Meghan HRH and hardly to says but Harry and Meghan didn?t went to Sandringham 2019 for Christmas holidays and HM Queen is head of state for 67 years as monarchy but Harry and Meghan did her last day engagement spring 2020 and Harry&Meghan will not welcome to UK work represent HM Queen Elizabeth II and members of royal family but Harry and Meghan will come to London,England for his mom?s 60th birthday and unveiled his mom?s statues at Kensington Palace if Diana was here today from heavenly

But Harry and Meghan will lived California in USA same Duke and Duchess of Windsor who lived in France when quit UK but Duke and Duchess of Windsor will not allowed work with members of royal family but HM King and Queen when young Queen Elizabeth II was little girl but HM Queen Mother hate Duchess of Windsor for good but it?s true story when King George VI and Queen Mother went to his brother?s house of former King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson but Queen Mother wouldnt approve for date this woman who twice divorce either option throne or married?!? 

They NOW William and Harry got ugly fighting and Kate&Meghan didn?t well enough if HM Queen Mother and Duchess of Windsor would alive today from heavenly will hate to says that but no truce!! 😒👎🏻

Amabel2

Quote from: Curryong on November 23, 2020, 08:22:08 PM
I don't know that Meghan wants to be in the UK all the time, as the British tabloids constant Aunt Sally ever again. No I don't. In the very difficult first couple of years many ex pats have great homesickness.

But to convert that to a hatred or even dislike for Britain and/or the British people is drawing a pretty long bow. She, (as well as Harry) still has friends in the UK, including a very longterm friend Lyndsey who lives in London. Meghan was always happy to meet British people connected to her charities and to chat to people in the crowds who came to see her.
She didn't have any choice, did she?  She was a working royal, that's her job, to smile and be friendly to people at engagements.  But I think its very obvious that she's a lot happier back home in LA now and I doubt if she'll leave there unless things go pear shaped.  And Harry will stay...
The queen may hope they'll come back but I think by now she's probably giving up hope.. and even if they come back a few times a year, the house will be standing empty most of the time which isn't good for a house...

oak_and_cedar

I think Harry and Eugenie were always close so this isn't surprising. It looks like Meghan and Harry arent coming back and have established themselves in California.

Amabel2

|I think that's been clear since March that California was where they really wanted to be, and that Canada was just a blind...
I dont know if its been confirmed that Jack and Eugenie are taking over the house, it would be better if they like the place and need a house for them to take it for a few years but if Harry sub let it, without talking to the queen first, Im sure she is not too pleased. I would say that the queen wouldn't want to make changes in the arrangement till the years review of Harrys situation is up.

TLLK

Just a reminder to keep to the topic of the Brooksbanks moving to Frogmore Cottage. Please keep the discussion regarding the Sussexes' future visits to the UK in their forum. Thank you.

Curryong

Re official confirmation of the news of the Brooksbanks at Frogmore Cottage-- The news that Eugenie and Jack have moved into Frogmore Cottage appeared in practically every news outlet in the UK, and many around the world, in the past week. I think if the British and overseas media was broadcasting that I was living somewhere I wasn't then I'd be informing them differently very sharply, especially if I had an IG/Twitter account as Eugenie does.

There won't be an official announcement about the Brooksbanks' move to the Cottage from BP, as the spokesman there has already pointed out, when asked days ago, that any arrangements regarding FC are a private matter. And the Queen and Charles certainly don't want to stir the wasp's nest of the use of FC any more after the firestorm of months ago when the Sussexes' left.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: Curryong on November 22, 2020, 12:44:37 PM

It's actually a brilliant move, as Eugenie will now live very close to her parents and in a lovely home. TBH, I didn't think Meghan and Harry were that keen on FC.  Remember, they asked for Frogmore House (what cheek imo).  If the Queen said "no" (which we are told she did) and offered them Frogmore Cottage instead, how could they refuse without sounding ungrateful?  It isn't a very grand building, for sure, and so close to one of the drives at Windsor.  They can stay with Eugenie if and when they visit, unless they choose to stay in a hotel or maybe even in Clarence House (which Charles and Camilla would love!).   

Amabel2

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on November 30, 2020, 01:31:49 AM
It's actually a brilliant move, as Eugenie will now live very close to her parents and in a lovely home. TBH, I didn't think Meghan and Harry were that keen on FC.  Remember, they asked for Frogmore House (what cheek imo).  If the Queen said "no" (which we are told she did) and offered them Frogmore Cottage instead, how could they refuse without sounding ungrateful?  It isn't a very grand building, for sure, and so close to one of the drives at Windsor.  They can stay with Eugenie if and when they visit, unless they choose to stay in a hotel or maybe even in Clarence House (which Charles and Camilla would love!).
I cant help feeling that while Charles would be happy to see his son and granchild again, there's still tension in the family and perhaps its best if they stay at an hotel. 
I think if Eug and Jack have moved in, it will seep out in due course even if there's no official announcement..
but if they have IMO it means that Harry's not expected back in the UK any time soon, if at all...

TLLK

Would St. James Palace have apartments available for the family to use in the short term? I know that Charles, William and Harry used to live there in the 1990's before Charles took over Clarence House. Beatrice and Eugenie were living there until the Brooksbanks married in 2018. Anne and the Wessexes were using it while BP was undergoing restoration when they needed to stay over in London. It might be an alternative that would give the Sussexes a central London location.

Amabel2

I don't think they'll be around long enough to need an apartment.  Unless they come back properly, it will be short visits to do the odd charity engagement or see family....The fact that they may have given up Frogmore shows what way the winds blowing

Curryong

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on November 30, 2020, 01:31:49 AM

I've never read (and I kept a sharp eye on it at the time) that Harry and Meghan asked for Frogmore House as their residence. It's huge and would take a fortune in maintenance as well as being a well known venue for parties, receptions etc for royals and others and has been for years.

Reputedly they did ask the Queen if it would be possible to have a fulltime flat at Windsor Castle. That was a tabloid story so God knows if that was true. At any rate they were knocked back. I too don't think the couple particularly liked FC. It's an ugly, rather poky house and cost a fortune to renovate. However the Queen offered and they accepted, or, as you've said, they probably felt they had to accept.

They didn't want the Gloucesters old place at KP as I think they preferred a place with a large garden, away from central London, especially when they knew they were expecting a child. I really think their ideal location for a home was Oxfordshire. Harry and Meghan were both happy in the rented Cotswolds property they rented early in their marriage, but it wasn't a longterm proposition as it was too far for London engagements, and with a baby little Nott Cott was out except as an overnight pad.

I don't know about St James Palace. AFAIK, others besides royals can rent apartments there. There probably isn't anything available.

Double post auto-merged: November 30, 2020, 03:45:36 PM

Two large flats went up for rent in St James Palace in 2015 and were snapped up by wealthy members of the public. It made news at the time but there have probably been other flats rented out since.

Live like Royalty as The Queen puts two flats in palace up for rent ? The Sun

wannable

I believe the couple knew about FC.  According to the planning records of the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead, the conversion of 5 apartments to 1 dwelling is dated April 2018, 1 month previous to marriage date.  From there on, there has been 7 planning applications, the No 7 being the Sussex's last one, a retrospective on the external landscaping.

Before April 2018, the 1st application for the Sussex's, the borough has recorded 2009 fixtures to the 5 apartments, from 2009 to 2018 nothing.

wannable

Apparently Eugenie and Jack have moved back to Ivy Cottage, Kensington Palace.