The Wessexes Foreign Offiical Visits and Tours

Started by TLLK, April 18, 2019, 11:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on June 08, 2020, 04:16:13 PM
I can't find the royal charter of this specific or the supersede in the Privy Council website using any key words.

You probably won't. There was a discussion in an earlier part of the particular thread that I have linked above in which the Queen's decision to make Alice Duchess of Gloucester a Princess in her own right in her widowhood (at Alice's request as she loathed the thought of being referred to as Dowager Duchess after her son Richard wed) and apparently (according to the poster who brought it up) the Queen did not follow the procedure of using the PC in that case either. Another case of the Queen's Will in action, I suppose. There was just an announcement.

wannable

That makes a lot of sense.  The legalities? Sophie surely knows what she's speaking about.

QueenAlex

Quote from: wannable on June 08, 2020, 05:17:24 PM
That makes a lot of sense.  The legalities? Sophie surely knows what she's speaking about.
Then the queen's clearly changed her mind.. since the announcement was made in 1999 and up to a few years ago, BP seemed to be clearly saying that the children were titled as the children of an earl...

wannable

I don't know the specs and details of the announcement at that time, but I'd like to think Sophie the mother does and knows what she is saying to a serious broadsheet like the Times.

QueenAlex

Quote from: wannable on June 08, 2020, 10:25:10 PM
I don't know the specs and details of the announcement at that time, but I'd like to think Sophie the mother does and knows what she is saying to a serious broadsheet like the Times.

Its not just the announcement,  it was BP replying to someone who asked and saying that the children did not have the HRH.  It wasn't a case of "they have the style but they/their parents are choosing not to use it".  they did not have it.  The HRH is at the queen's wish, and she can remove it or grant it...
Its possible that (a) Sophie is wrong.. or (b) things have changed in the last few years and the queen now feels that when the children reach 18, they can use the style and title of HRH PRince etc.  The queen or Charles could formally announce it...or possibly when C is king he will issue new letters Patent which will clarify things with  these titles. 
I've always felt that the queen wasn't that happy with the idea of her grandchildren not having that rank but in the years after Di's death the RF was not all that popular and it seemed wiser to simplify matters, and not make it look like the family are obsessed with "who has what title" and who is superior to whlom...

wannable

I haven't seen the letter from BP to the royal watcher.

I trust Sophie didn't make any mistake whilst being interviewed by Sunday Times.

QueenAlex

It has been metioned on another forum by a regular poster tehre.  RE Sophie, she can make mistakes, just like anyone.. or possibly the queen's changed her mind since 1999 or has plans to change things.  However I suspect it is unlikely that the children will want the HRH so its moot

PrincessOfPeace

The Countess of Wessex has started a visit to New York today, March 14, and first visited the Queen Elizabeth II Garden on Commonwealth Day.

She will speak at the "Upholding Women's Rights in Afghanistan" event, hosted by the Group of Friends of Women in Afghanistan, UN Women, and the Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace and Security:

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed/2022/03/14/sophie_countess_of_wessex_visit_to_new_york,_day_1

Sophie Wessex plants a rosemary bush in New York | Daily Mail Online

PrincessOfPeace

Day 2. The Countess of Wessex attended a briefing, "led by the UK Mission to New York, on the impact of the conflict of Ukrainian women and girls, and the international humanitarian response":

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed/2022/03/15/sophie_countess_of_wessex_visit_to_new_york,_day_2

TLLK

Platinum Jubilee tour of Grenada is postponed ? Royal Central

QuoteThe Platinum Jubilee tour of Grenada by the Earl and Countess of Wessex has been postponed.

Buckingham Palace announced that, following consultation with the Government of Grenada and advice from the Governor General, the visit would not go ahead in the coming weeks. It?s hoped the visit will be able to take place at a later date.

No official reason for the postponement was given.

The Earl and Countess of Wessex are set to head off on their Jubilee tour of the Caribbean in the coming days. They will visit Saint Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Antigua and Barbuda between April 22nd and April 28th 2022.

Curryong

Seems Grenada is another country in the Commonwealth that isn?t exactly slavering for a royal visit!

wannable

It' better to be honest...'we don't want to spend moneys in any way shape or form.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on April 21, 2022, 03:26:11 PM
It' better to be honest...'we don't want to spend moneys in any way shape or form.

But Granada wouldn?t (won?t) be charged for the Jubilee visit. As with the Caribbean one the FO/Commonwealth Secretariat pays. Unless you?re inferring that the British Govt doesn?t want to pay. That would be odd as it was they arranged the Wessexes visit. And what we know from the brief statement is that the balking for this visit came from the GG (though Granada is a republic in all but name) and the Granada Govt leaders.

wannable

The latest I read about W&K tour, there IS some expenses paid for and by each country they visited.

Some as in 'local', as in manpower uniformed employees of those governments. Other misc.

Some, not 'all'. i.e. The UK government didn't purchase the gala clothing (of the locals participating, Kate yes and W) of any of the countries , didn't pay for the food production (from manpower to the actual ingredients, cleaners, local staff working extra hours, night shift) of the gala dinners.  Other miscellaneous items that each gov had to put forth.

PrincessOfPeace

TLLK

Hope that their visit continues to go smoothly.

PrincessOfPeace

Blue Clover

Yes, I hope the visit moves along on a positive note.

Curryong

Yesterday the couple had another setback on their Caribbean tour as St Lucia's biggest radio host criticised the Jubilee tour - asking how it benefits the islanders.

Sam Flood, host of Tells It Like It Is on Saint Lucian radio, slammed the visit saying: 'I would like to know what is the purpose of this royal visit and who is paying for it.

'They kept a reception at the Governor's house for the Prince and Princess and I would like to know whether all those attending were wearing any face masks for protection.

'Who paid for the drinks and food that was being consumed at the Governor's house? Did the Royal family sponsor it or did our government?'

TLLK

From what I have read, the invitations for the Jubilee tours are issued by the hosting governments and together with the UK's Foreign Office, an itinerary is drawn up. However for the Jubilee tour, there's been some additional funding coming from the UK.  So to answer Mr. Flood's questions about the Governor's House reception..."The Government of St. Lucia and the UK were likely jointly  footing the bill for the reception.."

This article pertains to the Cambridges' visit, but I believe that it would also pertain to the Princess Royal's, the Wessexes' and the PoW/DssoC's upcoming tour of Canada.

Who is Paying For Prince William And Kate Middleton's Caribbean Tour?

QuoteThe cost of this tour is being borne jointly, according to a Kensington Palace source, by the host countries, the Sovereign Grant (money given to the monarchy by the British Treasury), and Britain?s Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office. A specific breakdown or further details have not been provided, but it?s possible that some figures will eventually find their way into the public domain through royal accounts or other means.

The question of payment for the visit has already been reported on in Jamaica?s media, with the Jamaican Observer reporting last month that Minister without Portfolio in the Office of the Prime Minister, Robert Morgan, told a press briefing that Jamaica would be responsible for some costs such as security but said that the Government was ?not paying for the visit.? The disclosure, which tallies with the information from a royal source, highlights that the three Commonwealth realms being visited by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will not be asked to foot the bill for all the costs associated with the trip.