King Frederick William I of Prussia

Started by LouisFerdinand, September 12, 2015, 12:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

King Frederick William I of Prussia (1688-1740) reigned from 1713 until 1740.     
He was known as the "Sergeant King".     
He believed the key to influence lay in military strength. Over the course of his reign he built up a strong army.     
To fund this King Frederick William instigated numerous domestic reforms that vastly improved Prussia's economy.

LouisFerdinand

King Frederick William I had a special regiment of Potsdam Giants, consisting of especially tall men. These men he never sent to participate in battle. When he was ill or depressed, Frederick William would have a few hundred of them marching through his bedroom to cheer him up.   
:therethere: :therethere: :therethere: :orchid: :orchid: :orchid:

LouisFerdinand

King Frederick William I inspecting his Giant Guards. They were known as the Grand Grenadiers of Potsdam. They were also referred to as Potsdam Grenadiers or Potsdam Giants.   
King Frederick William I of Prussia Inspecting his Giant Guards Stock Photo: 87105834 - Alamy

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on December 16, 2019, 11:57:45 PM
King Frederick William I inspecting his Giant Guards. They were known as the Grand Grenadiers of Potsdam. They were also referred to as Potsdam Grenadiers or Potsdam Giants.   
King Frederick William I of Prussia Inspecting his Giant Guards Stock Photo: 87105834 - Alamy

Frederik the Great had a taste for tall young men anyway. Especially six feet and over.

LouisFerdinand

King Frederick William I was named after his grandfather, Frederick William the Great Elector of Brandenburg, who had died three months before his birth.