Official visits to Romania, Austria and the Holy See

Started by TLLK, March 07, 2017, 03:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Cambridges and Prince Harry do tend to keep their activities low key when QEII/DoE and PoW/DoC are overseas on state or official visits.

Curryong

^ Yes they do. I was referring more to the tabloid press and their emphasis (illustrated with many photos in the case of the DM)  on what the younger royals are doing, whether low key or key note, rather than the activities of Princess Anne or Prince Charles.This seems to occur whether Charles is in Britain or away.

royalanthropologist

I really hope Charles resists the temptation to have his agenda driven by the tabloids (i.e. suppressing the activities of younger royals because they are getting all the tabloid coverage or some two-bit journalist is once again suggesting we skip a generation). The media did help to destroy his first marriage by sowing/exaggerating discord between the estranged couple and caused lots of tension in the royal family during the 1980s-1990s. He should be proud and fully expect that younger people will attract more interest than pensioners. That is the nature of things and does not reflect badly on him. Just ignore the tabloids and do what is right. The media is trash and Donald Trump has shown us that the best way  is to either ignore it completely or aggressively attack it. 
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

sandy

Quote from: TLLK on April 05, 2017, 04:36:21 AM
Cambridges and Prince Harry do tend to keep their activities low key when QEII/DoE and PoW/DoC are overseas on state or official visits.

They always keep them low key no matter what.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on April 05, 2017, 05:07:25 AM
^ Yes they do. I was referring more to the tabloid press and their emphasis (illustrated with many photos in the case of the DM)  on what the younger royals are doing, whether low key or key note, rather than the activities of Princess Anne or Prince Charles.This seems to occur whether Charles is in Britain or away.
Ok now I understand. However it does seem that their schedule is cleared though when he's away or when there is an important state event ie: incoming Irish State visit that occurred during the Australian/New Zealand tour and a "rest" day was scheduled for the first day of the state visit. To have the Republic of Ireland participating in its first ever state visit to the UK was a historic occasion that needed to be the focus rather than the Cambridges' tour for that day.

Double post auto-merged: April 05, 2017, 02:42:39 PM

Quote from: royalanthropologist on April 05, 2017, 05:09:23 AM
I really hope Charles resists the temptation to have his agenda driven by the tabloids (i.e. suppressing the activities of younger royals because they are getting all the tabloid coverage or some two-bit journalist is once again suggesting we skip a generation). The media did help to destroy his first marriage by sowing/exaggerating discord between the estranged couple and caused lots of tension in the royal family during the 1980s-1990s. He should be proud and fully expect that younger people will attract more interest than pensioners. That is the nature of things and does not reflect badly on him. Just ignore the tabloids and do what is right. The media is trash and Donald Trump has shown us that the best way  is to either ignore it completely or aggressively attack it. 
It is a tricky balancing act. The tabloids know which type of articles sell or earn clicks so they'll tend to push those to the front. Perfect example is how the tabloids have been cherry picking details from the soon to be released Bedell-Smith biography.

sandy

I read two of Bedell Smith's books, one about Diana the other about the Queen and both had the same axe to grind re: Diana. This IMO is more of the same whitewash of C and C.

sara8150

Arrivederci Roma! A windswept Charles and Camilla arrive in Vienna for the next leg of their European tour after a morning of engagements in Italy
Prince Charles and Camilla welcomed by Italy's Mattarella | Daily Mail Online

TLLK

Quote from: sandy on April 05, 2017, 11:01:39 AM
Quote from: TLLK on April 05, 2017, 04:36:21 AM

They always keep them low key no matter what.
Considering that monarchies tend to focus upon the monarch/consort, adult heir/heir's spouse it isn't surprising that the heir-to-the-heir would not take precedence over those who are more senior to him/her.  :windsor1:

Double post auto-merged: April 05, 2017, 08:40:06 PM

Ciao Italia and Gross Gott Austria!!

Prinz Charles und Camilla bei Van der Bellen

Video of the couple meeting the Austrian President and First Lady in Vienna.

Double post auto-merged: April 05, 2017, 08:41:48 PM

Sorry that should be Grüß Gott

Curryong

What I meant to point out in previous posts is --with regard to tabloid and TV coverage of royals, and of Charles and Camilla in particular, I feel, and I do think that this is borne out in the number of photos, that with the exception of the Queen, the focus is on the younger senior royals (not so young any more, but anyway...)

This is because TV and tabloids like the DM concentrate on the visual image and they know that the public in general would rather look at vigorous and reasonably attractive people in their thirties than  people who are twice as old.

This focus means that Kate (whatever her personal skills and attributes, which in my view aren't great), gets more attention than her male counterparts, simply because a woman in a pretty dress/gown, coat, shoes, hat, etc gets more attention than a man in a suit, even a young man. Similarly, a young(ish) woman in a pretty outfit gets more attention than an old one.

(The Queen out on Royal duties is an exception to this, as I do think she's regarded more as an iconic, unchanging  figure and as HOS her work is considered more important. Even so, her outfits are mentioned almost every time.)

It has been said that Charles gets frustrated that his particular charities and causes get starved of oxygen while the younger royals' excursions enjoy far greater publicity. (Ironic that first Charles has been stifled in that way by a beautiful, much loved  first wife and then by his grown sons and to a greater extent his daughter in law.)

The above is true, I think of much of Camilla's coverage too, except perhaps when she is visiting places like dogs homes or entertaining children at Christmas at Clarence House. There is a certain amount of media coverage when this couple go overseas but nothing like the attention given, when for instance, the Cambridges visited Canada or the Pacific.

That's why I thought it made a refreshing change when the crowds have come out in Romania and Italy for this couple. Large enthusiastic crowds and their responses to them make for greater all-over coverage in the media at home.

sara8150

Charles and Camilla top off their whirlwind tour of Europe in style with an opulent state banquet at Vienna's Hofburg Palace
Prince Charles and Camilla attend a state dinner in Vienna | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: April 05, 2017, 10:45:34 PM

Jet-Setting Royals! Prince Charles and Camilla Visit the Pope in Italy, While King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia Head to Brazil
Prince Charles and Camilla Visit Italy, King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia Visit Brazil

royalanthropologist

Yes @Curryong. We still live in the age of clickbait journalism. Worthy causes are not as important as the cost of Kate's dress. I think Kate is a very sensible and controlled woman so she will probably not be taken in by the tabloid interest. It tends to end up with them pulling you down once you have been placed on the pedestal. Most sensible people just ignore the trash media and do the best they can.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Curryong

A suitable ending in magnificent surroundings to a very successful tour as far as attracting enthusiastic crowds are concerned. What it actually achieved is another case entirely, I suppose, but that's the case with all Royal visits to foreign countries, I think. However, I have to say that I find Camilla's gown for the state banquet a bit bizarre. Valance-like frills down to the floor under a shapeless satin top?? Surely something more flattering could have been chosen?

Double post auto-merged: April 05, 2017, 11:29:56 PM

A suitable ending in magnificent surroundings to a very successful tour as far as attracting enthusiastic crowds are concerned. What it actually achieved is another case entirely, I suppose, but that's the case with all Royal visits to foreign countries, I think. However, I have to say that I find Camilla's gown for the state banquet a bit bizarre. Valance-like frills down to the floor under a shapeless satin top?? Surely something more flattering could have been chosen?

TLLK

QuoteHowever, I have to say that I find Camilla's gown for the state banquet a bit bizarre. Valance-like frills down to the floor under a shapeless satin top?? Surely something more flattering could have been chosen?

I usually love tiered gala gowns, but not this one.  :blink:

Now this one is a keeper!!! https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/83/d3/23/83d323fa12ee0947fa06fa1a9c6ebaa0.jpg

CP Mette Marit at CP Victoria's wedding in 2010

royalanthropologist

I know @TLLK. At any moment I expect Camilla to break out into a flamenco dance. She wore it to a society wedding in Spain and it was controversial even then. Sack the stylist. lol :lol:

Oh but Mette-Marie looks a dream in that blue dress. Absolutely fantastic

sandy

Camilla is the one who thought it appropriate to wear. She could have said no to the stylist. Maybe she thinks the gown attractive.

TLLK

QuoteShe wore it to a society wedding in Spain and it was controversial even then.

Do you know which wedding it was worn to?

royalanthropologist

I think it was the Duke of Wellington's daughter. Here is the press brief:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwioupKprI_TAhXLaRQKHbs_DvEQFggbMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Ffemail%2Farticle-3507674%2FDuke-Wellington-s-daughter-wed-billionaire-fiance-historic-16th-century-church-rural-Spain-200-glamorous-guests.html&usg=AFQjCNEl77vBdOzDBTpx5TTx3ANwpud08w&sig2=r5R0KLnm1t5ZiO6FInwl4Q

Double post auto-merged: April 06, 2017, 07:54:57 AM

@sandy. Women in public life make fashion faux pas. It is not the end of the world by any stretch of the imagination. Camilla generally dresses well for her age. My understanding is that she prefers comfortable clothing but her stylists prefers her to look good for the cameras. I suspect they have a compromise where some days Camilla dresses as she likes and at other times defers to the stylist. She is not the first or last woman to do this. Some of the most beautiful clothes out there are impossible to wear.

sandy

Camilla does not dress well for her age. Sometimes she dresses like someone in her 90s.

TLLK

Prince Charles tells Holocaust survivors how his 'amazing' grandmother hid Jewish family during war

Final day of the tour in Vienna. Visits to the Jewish Museum, Spanish Riding School, a vineyard, round table meeting on human trafficking  and the Philharmonic. Charles shares the story of Princess Alice sheltering Jews in Greece during WWII. Camilla in a very attractive light blue coat and dress. IMO it's a structured coat which gives her a better shape than the filmy fabrics.

royalanthropologist

Oh yes @sandy. That Camilla can never get anything right or do anything good. The woman is thoroughly bad with not a single redeeming feature.  Even her dress sense is all so wrong. It is such a pity that she will not listen to the advice of forum members that have her best interests at heart. At least we can thank God that she is not yet murdering babies and boiling them for snacks.

sandy

I can express my opinion here. She's getting slammed in the DM by most of the posters so go complain to them. I don't think she's a good dresser. And I stand by my opinion. And enough of the outrageous comments to try to "prove your point. " Remember you mentioned the baby comment so it's your issue.

sara8150

'I bow to your knowledge': Prince Charles gushes about his wife Camilla's fine taste in wine as the pair toast to the end of their tour of Europe
Prince Charles and Camilla hear Holocaust survivor stories | Daily Mail Online

royalanthropologist

@sandy. There is a hardcore of anti Camilla DM commentators (they do have aliases) but their syntax and repetitive comments give them away.  They do give an impression of an open season on the woman when the reality is very different. Most normal people will occasionally express approval or disappointment of a person in public life. Not make it their life mission to attack a person they do not know, will never know and probably cares very little about their opinion.

As to the instruction: "enough of the outrageous comments". I am just borrowing a leaf from the anti-Camilla obsessives. They just can't let go. She is bad, bad, bad, bad. Everything she touches is bad, bad, bad, bad. After a few rounds, it gets a bit boring.

Anyway this sounds like de ja vu. I am not getting into yet another anti Camilla tit for tat that ends up with moderators being summoned. Camilla dresses well (most times), is doing her job well and supports her husband well. The trip was a success by any measure. The rest is noise.

sandy

Excuse me?! I did not see any "Camilla bashers' with the 'Baby" Comments. I'll go no further.

I disagree with you about Camilla plain and simple.

Double post auto-merged: April 06, 2017, 08:54:27 PM

Other people's opinions are not "noise" by any means