Duchess of Cambridge - Visit to Margate - 11th March 2015

Started by marine2109, February 25, 2015, 02:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

This will be a visit to the Turner collection in her role as Patron of the National Portrait Gallery.

Canuck

Speaking of new engagements -- I don't know if a whole separate thread is necessary for this, but Will, Kate, and Harry also attended the Royal Foundation's Chairman's Dinner at KP last night:  Mark Cuthbert on Twitter: "Prince William & Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge attend Foundation dinner at Kensington Palace yesterday with Harry.

TLLK

AAAWWW darn it! An evening event for the trio and no photos.

Canuck

Apparently Kate today received the outgoing director of the National Portrait Gallery (I assume at KP, from the use of the word "received").  His departure was announced last year -- it sounds like he was very well thought of, and coincidentally is responsible for raising the money to acquire the Van Dyck portrait Kate will be viewing during her March engagement.

Canuck

Kate did an impromptu walkabout after leaving the Turner, to greet some of the people who had been waiting to see her.  Pretty big crowd!  https://mobile.twitter.com/kmfmnews/status/575634891364237312

TLLK

Glad to see that the media photographed a few of the pieces on display in the museum today. After all that is the reason for the visit.
Another third trimester repeat from her last pregnancy.

Canuck

QuoteTouring the gallery and meeting artists, she visited the 'Self: Image and Identity' exhibition which includes the last self-portrait by Sir Anthony Van Dyck, recently acquired for the nation by the National Portrait Gallery through a public appeal with The Art Fund.

Kate, 33, wanted to see how Turner Contemporary engages with the local community in the Clore Learning Studio, where she was meeting local school children involved in an art project.

During her two-hour visit, she was also attending a brief reception and meeting staff and supporters of the gallery.

Looking typically at ease with children, Kate chatted with pupils from a local school who are involved in an art project.

She also met with a group of young women who have been working with local artist Felicity Allen.

Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton visits Turner Contemporary gallery | Royal | News | Daily Express

cinrit

QuotePregnant Kate Views 'Drowned Man' Sculpture on Tour of Art Gallery in Margate

She might be an art lover with a degree in History of Art but even the Duchess of Cambridge couldn't help but look politely baffled when shown a bizarre sculpture that resembled a dead body in Margate this morning.

Kate, who is eight months pregnant with her second child, was touring the Turner Contemporary when she was shown the unusual work, entitled Self Portrait As A Drowned Man by artist Jeremy Millar, which was part of an exhibition called Self: Image and Identity.

The moment came during the Duchess' second engagement in 48 hours, which saw her visit the Kent seaside town as part of her role as patron of the National Portrait Gallery. 

Regarded as the first 'celebrity artist', Van Dyck (1599-1641) was the official court painter to Charles I and is arguably one of the most influential portrait painters ever to have worked in the UK.
Other self-portraits on display from the 16th Century to the present, included one of Turner himself as well as works by Tracey Emin, Lucian Freud, Damian Hirst, David Hockney and John Constable.

However it was an eerily realistic body made out of silicone that really caught the Duchess' eye, prompting a startled Kate to exclaim: 'Oh my goodness, what's that?' The work has apparently caused quite a stir worldwide thanks to its realism.

More: Dying to meet the Duchess: Pregnant Kate views 'Drowned Man' sculpture on tour of art gallery in Margate | Daily Mail Online

Cindy

Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

TLLK

Finally some photos with students are here. Looks as though they're creating collages.

BTW that "Drowning Man" sculpture is extremely realistic IMO. :eyes:

cinrit

QuoteKate Carries Out Two Arty Engagements in Margate

As the Duchess of Cambridge, née Kate Middleton's, due date swiftly approaches, she made one of her last high-profile appearances, carrying out her official duties with two engagements in the seaside town of Margate. Kate, who is expecting her second child in April, looked radiant in a £169 dalmatian-printed coat dress by Hobbs, one of her favourite high-street brands.

The Duchess, who was embracing the sunshine with her hair scooped up in a ponytail, famously wore the coat during a cruise-naming ceremony in Southampton in June 2013, when she was also eight months pregnant – this time with her firstborn Prince George.

The day was perfectly suited to creative Kate, who is passionate about art and holds a degree in history of art from St Andrews University, the same institution where she met Prince William.

Her first stop was at one of the UK's leading art galleries the Turner Contemporary. The museum had closed for the morning to welcome the Duchess on her private visit.

More: Kate Middleton carries out engagements in Margate - hellomagazine.com

Quote'I sometimes forget I'm pregnant' Duchess of Cambridge Marvels Over Her Baby Bump

Eight months pregnant but still enviably slim, the Duchess of Cambridge admitted today she sometimes forgets she is expecting her second child.

Her burgeoning baby bump concealed beneath an old Dalmatian print coat, Kate, 33, was complimented on her otherwise slender figure on a visit to Margate in Kent.

"You're looking very trim," former hotelier Jenny Cranstone told her as she toured artists' studios and met people taking part in an art project about the town's history.

"I sometimes forget I'm pregnant," Kate replied.

Kate, who has the help of a fulltime nanny and other staff, told her about her experiences, saying Prince George was running around all the time now and she has to chase him.

More: Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton I sometimes forget I'm pregnant baby bump | Royal | News | Daily Express

Cindy

cinrit

QuoteThe Duchess of Cambridge Visits Margate

The Duchess of Cambridge soaked up Margate's burgeoning art scene during a visit to a gallery inspired by master British landscape artist JMW Turner.

Hundreds of people turned out to greet Her Royal Highness as she arrived at the Turner Contemporary gallery which opened in 2011.

The Duchess - who is Patron of the National Portrait Gallery - visited the Self: Image And Identity exhibition, which includes the last self-portrait by Sir Anthony Van Dyck.

The Duchess of Cambridge toured the gallery and met artists whose works are in the exhibition, including a sculpture called Scarecrow by local artist John Davies and a striking life-size cast of a prone man sprawled on the floor called Self Portrait As A Drowned Man by Jeremy Millar.

More: The Duchess of Cambridge visits Margate

Cindy

Liquorice

I read the Duchess Kate talked with the artist Gavin Turk about his beard.

Oh my goodness! Kate Middleton's shock at seeing 'dead body' - Mirror Online

Apparently she advised him to oil it, etc.   :hehe: :lol:

The Mirror writes :
Kate also chatted to artist Gavin Turk, dressed in an eye-catching orange suit, discussing his self portrait entitled 'A portrait of myself I'll never really see.'
However, she seemed more interested in his beard because her brother, James Middleton, has grown one.

US Magazine :
Kate Middleton: "I Sometimes Forget I'm Pregnant" - Us Weekly

In addition to chatting about the royal heir and future little one, the Duchess also inquired about artist Gavin Turk's impressive facial hair.

"She immediately asked me about my beard and said that she was a bit concerned as her brother [James Middleton] was growing one," Turk later said of his conversation with Kate. "She asked me how much care I needed to take of it and whether I had to oil it. She seemed quite fascinated. She was really nice, very personable, particularly under the circumstances."

The funniest thing is the caption of the photo in the US Magazine article. The US Magazine writes the caption :
Kate Middleton talks to artist Gavin Turk about his beard at the Turner Museum on March 11.
Credit: Suzanne Plunkett/WPA Pool/Getty Images

The site of Getty Images (Catherine Duchess of Cambridge talks to artist Gavin Turk about his... News Photo | Getty Images) tells :
MARGATE, ENGLAND - MARCH 11: Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge talks to artist Gavin Turk about his painting 'Portrait of Something that I'll Never Really See' (R) during a visit to Turner Contemporary Gallery on March 11, 2015 in Margate, England. (Photo by Suzanne Plunkett - WPA Pool/Getty Images)

What do you think of that ? Isn't the whole situation very funny ? :windsor1: :happy17: :partaay:

Macrobug

Gavin Tusk has , over the years, done many pieces involving beards and mustaches.  He has also done many interviews that are about facial hair.  He is also planning an upcoming exhibit with other artists regarding beards. 

He is obviously focused on facial hair as an artist and for Kate to recognize this and talk to him about it means that she is aware of his work. 
GNU Terry Pratchett

Canuck

From the DM, quoting the artist:

'I told her that I had been growing it for a year and a half and planned to take a series of portraits of myself as other famous bearded artists before I shaved it off for charity. I told her that to keep a beard looking good it good it does, unfortunately, need a bit of care.'

He added: 'She was really nice, very personable, particularly under the circumstances. It's a strange situation. She is here to view an exhibition but in truth is the exhibition herself.'

So she asked about his beard and how he cares for it, and mentioned her brother is growing one, and they discussed how he's using it in his work.  He said she was nice and personable, and obviously didn't take offense to questions about his facial hair.  Seems like a normal conversation to me.   :shrug:

Macrobug

Gavin Turk | Tags | Artworks

Gavin Turk | Facial Hair

The Inquisition: Gavin Turk | South China Morning Post

I quess this author/interviewer also is shallow and was unable to relate to the artist on any other level other than his beard

Beard : Somerset House
QuoteSomerset House presents a series of portraits by photographer Mr Elbank in which all of the subjects sport a beard.  Featuring over 80 images exhibited for the first time and exploring the art of grooming, the show celebrates the enduring beard trend which has exploded across the world.  The pogonophiles come from all corners of the globe and from all walks of life; it includes the famous facial hairs of actor John Hurt, models Ricki Hall and Billy Huxley, and artist Gavin Turk, but also other interesting characters such as tattooist Miles Better and British bearded woman Harnaam Kaur, who has been growing a beard since the age of 16 after being diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome, a condition which causes excess hair growth.

the Studior » Honouring the Beard
QuoteThe exhibition is part of a project to raise awareness of skin cancer through prompting men to grow beards. John Hurt, model Ricki Hall and Gavin Turk are a few of the famous faces to feature in the exhibition

Art Exhibition: Show Off Those Beards!
QuoteThe collection represents a short exploratory look at a topic which may seem superficial but gradually shifts the audience from viewing the purely aesthetic aspect to reflecting on a social phenomenon.

There is obviously a movement in the British art world regarding beards and facial hair.  Turk is a leading artist in that world, he has been photographed for that exhibition, has plans for his own art show related to facial hair.  He has produced works in the past regarding facial hair.

He is distinctive looking.  Kate, if not aware of his interest in beards and how important it was to his work, may have commented on his brightly coloured suit or something else.  But she focused in on the hirsute aspect.  That indicates that she was aware of how important the subject was to him and that she was aware of the Beard in the current art world. 

Of course, some may say she just stumbled onto the topic out of dumb luck.  But isn't that great that she managed to do so and still make a quick conversation with the artist focus on what is important to him?

GNU Terry Pratchett

TLLK

Thank you for sharing these links to recent art world articles @Macrobug.

Canuck

Quote from: TLLK on March 12, 2015, 07:30:23 PM
Thank you for sharing these links to recent art world articles @Macrobug.

Agrees, thanks for the info @Macrobug!  It's always interesting to me what artists choose to base projects around -- I would never think of facial hair as the subject of art but once it's explained it makes perfect sense.

Macrobug

:P  I was thinking that it was rather odd and is it art?  But the more I looked at the different works (especially the photos) the more I liked it.

The drowned person I could do without.  Having helped remove people from frozen lakes up north, I really don't see anything artistic about it  :(  Just bad memories of how several people I knew died too soon.
GNU Terry Pratchett

TLLK

Was glad to finally see a photo of the Van Dyck that was purchased recently. Like you @Macrobug I could have done without the drowned man. Loved the sculpture of the walking figure though.