Kate: Mental Health Charities and Patronages

Started by TLLK, November 06, 2014, 07:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

The Duchess of Cambridge as patron of the Place 2Be will attend the  first Well- being in Schools Award event on the evening of Nov. 19, 2014 at Kensington Palace. Place 2Be is the UK's leading provider of student counseling in schools.

Canuck

Here's a link to Place2Be's website about the event:  Place2Be | Our Story | Wellbeing Awards 2014

Apparently this is a new set of awards, with this being the first year they are given out.  I imagine Kate's presence will help to bring a lot of attention to them and get them off to a good start.   :)

Double post auto-merged: November 06, 2014, 07:37:03 PM

Here's a bit more, from Emily Andrews:

QuoteKate will attend a reception to meet the finalists in each category, attend the awards' ceremony and present the Child/Young Person Champion

Emily Andrews on Twitter: "Kate will attend a reception to meet the finalists in each category, attend the awards' ceremony and present the

TLLK

Thanks Canuck for the additional information. Counseling in schools is a real necessity IMHO and I'm glad that there are groups like Place2B to offer this for students and their families if needed.

Canuck

Kate became Place2Be's patron in April 2013.  Since then, she has made three visits to their projects (in April 2013, November 2013, and July 2014), as well as attending their annual conference in June 2014.  She has also helped to launch the M-PACT program, which is a joint project of Place2Be and one of Kate's other patronages, Action on Addiction, and is being funded by the Royal Foundation and Comic Relief.  And Place2Be officials take part in the twice-annual Charity Forum meetings Kate/Will/Harry attend, and families assisted by the charity were included in the Warner Brothers studio tour the three of them did last year.

In less than two years of patronage (during which time she was on maternity leave for several months with George, and was out sick for almost two months with baby #2) that seems like quite a lot to me.   :thumbsup:

TLLK

Quote from: Canuck on November 06, 2014, 10:07:16 PM
Kate became Place2Be's patron in April 2013.  Since then, she has made three visits to their projects (in April 2013, November 2013, and July 2014), as well as attending their annual conference in June 2014.  She has also helped to launch the M-PACT program, which is a joint project of Place2Be and one of Kate's other patronages, Action on Addiction, and is being funded by the Royal Foundation and Comic Relief.  And Place2Be officials take part in the twice-annual Charity Forum meetings Kate/Will/Harry attend, and families assisted by the charity were included in the Warner Brothers studio tour the three of them did last year.

In less than two years of patronage (during which time she was on maternity leave for several months with George, and was out sick for almost two months with baby #2) that seems like quite a lot to me.   :thumbsup:
For a day job like most of us on the planet will have this is nothing but royals lead different lives and may only do a public engagement with a patronage once or twice a year. Private visits or correspondence with the patronages won't be open to the media usually. :)

cinrit

QuoteIt is announced today (Wednesday 5 November) that HRH The Duchess of Cambridge, Royal Patron of the children's mental health charity Place2Be, will attend  the first-ever Place2Be Wellbeing in Schools Awards on Wednesday 19 November. The Duchess will present the Child/Young Person Award to a child or young person who has made an exceptional contribution to the mental health and emotional wellbeing of their peers within the school community through their relationship with Place2Be.

The Awards, supported by the Garfield Weston Foundation, will take place in the State Apartments of Kensington Palace when the winners in the seven award categories will be announced in front of guests, including the 20 finalists.

The Awards celebrate those often unsung heroes who make a real difference to the life of their school community through their commitment to children's emotional wellbeing.  Parents, grandparents, teachers and others who have seen the life-changing work of Place2Be for themselves, were asked to nominate their school leaders, teachers, support staff, parent and children champions, Place2Be staff and volunteer counsellors.  The applications submitted were of a very high standard and the finalists span the breadth of the UK.

More: Place2Be | News | HRH The Duchess of Cambridge, Place2Be's Royal Patron, to attend first-ever Place2Be Wellbeing in Schools Awards

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

TLLK

^^^Glad to see that those who are interacting with children who are diagnosed with a mental health concern or are in need of counseling will be honored at this event.

Jenee

I don't mean to be negative, but I do wonder where the funding for the awards is coming from and what it is meant to b used for? Scholarship?? Or is it just a blank check?
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

In All I Do

@Jenee, according to the website, the award is supported by the Garfield Weston Foundation. The description says "£10,000 prize  for the school, who best describes how they would use the prize money to enhance the wellbeing and mental health of their school and wider community". I assume that means that the winning school is meant to effect the plan laid out in their application to the prize.

Source: Place2Be | Wellbeing Awards 2014

TLLK

@Jenee -Good question and thank you to @Adrienne   for supplying the website information regarding the prize.

cinrit

QuoteDuchess of Cambridge Hosts Charity Awards Party at Her Home in Kensington Palace

The Duchess of Cambridge welcomed guests to her London home tonight to honour children who have overcome difficulties and become shining examples to their peers.

Kate, now four months pregnant with her second child, hosted the first ever Wellbeing in Schools Awards for her children's mental health charity Place2Be in the Kensington Palace State Apartments.  She looked the epitome of sophistication in a black Hobbs top and Jenny Packham skirt when she arrived for a reception at the Queen's Gallery.

After the reception, the ceremony began at 7pm in the King's Gallery where Kate was due to present the Child Champion Award to a young person who has overcome their own struggles and gone on to help others.
Place2Be Chief Executive Benita Refson said: "This is a wonderful, exciting opportunity to honour our young people and schools in such a wonderful setting.

"The Duchess' total and utter belief in what we do and her commitment to children's mental health is incredible."

More: Kate Middleton pregnant hosts children's party at Kensington Palace home | Royal | News | Daily Express

Cindy

Canuck

Thanks for the update, Cindy!  From Victoria Murphy (with a slightly better picture of Kate if you click through to the link):

QuoteEveryone praising Kate for her interest and hands on approach to her patronage

Victoria Murphy on Twitter: "Everyone praising Kate for her interest and hands on approach to her patronage #Place2BeAwards http://t.co/exJZN1b26S"

cinrit

You're welcome, and thanks, Canuck.  Great pictures at the Place2Be link.  I initially thought Kate's dress was long, but I see it is just below knee length.  And we get a little glimpse of the State Apartments at KP 1A.

Cindy

TLLK

Charity runs classes in 230 schools and services 90,000 students across the UK. Great numbers but I suspect there are more schools who could use  this mental health service. Hopefully their fundraising will permit them to expand to other schools and benefit more students. (Says the lady who has been with kindergarteners yesterday and today. :thumbsup:)

Macrobug

Cindy, I don't think it is actually their home at Apt 1A, it is the King's Gallery which is a public area of KP. 
GNU Terry Pratchett

Rebound

This patronage is great! Mental health support for children is very much needed. I also like having the children be honored for making their schools a better, kinder place. I'm trying to imagine their faces as they see the grandeur of the Palace. Very nice, Place2Be.

TLLK, 2 days with Kindergarteners!!! OMG. It takes a very special person to take that on!

Macrobug

So very, very needed.  Mental health issues in children is very under recognized and researched.  To see a program like this right in the school is wonderful. 
GNU Terry Pratchett

cinrit

Quote from: Macrobug on November 19, 2014, 08:40:42 PM
Cindy, I don't think it is actually their home at Apt 1A, it is the King's Gallery which is a public area of KP.   

Thanks, Macrobug.  I somehow got the impression that while it wasn't part of their private residence, it was part of their "complex".  Reading too fast, I guess.  But you're right.

Cindy

Double post auto-merged: November 19, 2014, 10:00:39 PM

QuoteKate is Pretty in Polka Dots as She Welcomes Charity Guests to Kensington Palace

The Duchess of Cambridge was all smiles this evening as she welcomed charity guests to Kensington Palace for a reception and awards ceremony thrown on behalf of a mental health charity.

Kate, who is around four months pregnant with her second child, wore a pretty spotted black top by High Street store Hobbs - which has long since sold out - and a skirt by designer Jenny Packham. She also had a wide belt clinched around her still slender waist.

She was joined at the Kensington Palace State Apartments by visitors her children's mental health charity Place2Be for their first ever Wellbeing in Schools Awards.

The Duchess, 32, arrived for the reception at the Queen's Gallery at 6.20pm, leaving her son, Prince George, with his father and nanny next door, and was introduced to Place2Be Chief Executive Benita Refson.

Writing a foreword in the event programme, Kate described the awards as recognition for the 'wonderful' work in children's emotional health.  She wrote: 'The commitment, dedication and hard work that is going in across the schools involved with Place2Be is truly humbling, and to recognise that feels incredibly important.'

More: Pregnant Kate, Duchess of Cambridge welcomes guests to Kensington Palace | Daily Mail Online

Cindy

TLLK

The DM videos shows part of the State Apartments at Kensington Palace that are open to the public.

cinrit

Kate Hosts Children's Mental Health Awards at Kensington Palace

Cindy

Rebound

This is such a great patronage. The kids receiving awards and the finalists were so cute! It's great to know that children have been encouraged to feel better about themselves and who they are. Congrats to all the winners, and thanks to everyone for their efforts--they mean so much for their schools and communities. So great to see them being encouraged instead of put down.

Canuck

Kate apparently made a private (no reporters) visit to a hospital school today, in her role as patron of Place2Be.

QuoteThe #DuchessofCambridge made a private visit today to a hospital school
for children suffering from mental health problems.

PA Royal Reporters on Twitter: "The #DuchessofCambridge made a private visit today to a hospital school for children suffering from mental health

Quote#Kate spent around an hour and a half meeting youngsters and staff at the Bethlem and Maudsley Hospital School in Beckenham, Kent

PA Royal Reporters on Twitter: "#Kate spent around an hour and a half meeting youngsters and staff at the Bethlem and Maudsley Hospital School in

QuoteSix months pregnant #Kate, who just returned from holiday in Mustique, was there in her role as patron of charity @Place2Be

PA Royal Reporters on Twitter: "Six months pregnant #Kate, who just returned from holiday in Mustique, was there in her role as patron of charity

Macrobug

If these are children with mental health issues, I can fully understand (and support) the private nature of her visit.  Respecting the children's needs and the confidential nature of it all is more important then letting the media and the public know that she will be doing a visit.  Announcing it after the fact is quite acceptable
GNU Terry Pratchett

Canuck

So if Kate goes to a serious charity for children, she's using them and that's despicable.  But if she goes to more lighthearted charities/events for sports or entertainment, then she's criticized for only being in it for the glamour and fun stuff. 

Likewise, people get upset when she goes on a vacation, but then they criticize her if she does engagements within a month or leaving or coming back because it's "PR".  Somehow I don't think those people would be happier if she DIDN'T work in the two months surrounding her vacation, so whether you label it PR or not I would think that doing some work would be better than not.