The Wales' Children Christenings-All years

Started by sara8150, July 25, 2013, 08:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HereditaryPrincess

Looking forward into the christening, now we know the date.  :)

Quote from: missbliss on September 27, 2013, 04:44:33 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Prince George will be christened by Archbishop of Canterbury at chapel ceremony next month | Mail Online

I wonder when we hear about godparents?

I was wondering about that too, and I think that the godparents will be announced at the christening or the day before.
When were William's godparents were announced?

memememe

Quote from: Drottning on September 27, 2013, 05:31:34 PM
I am looking forward to the occasion already  :) though it is disappointing that the ceremony will not be shown on television. Whenever a Royal baptism is televised in Sweden and in most of the other European Monarchies, it is usually very popular. But of course, these things are personal and if the British Royal family have a tradition of privacy at these occasions, then their wishes should be respected. I am glad that the Prince will be baptised in a Royal chapel, though, and not in the music room of Buckingham palace. This has always struck me as an odd choice of venue.....does any one know where this particular tradition comes from?

Before WWII BP had a chapel - which is where QEII, for instance was baptised - but it was destroyed during the War (and is now The Queen's Gallery). As a result in 1948 there was no chapel there when Charles was born but they still wanted to baptise the future king in BP and so they used the Music Room as they did for Anne, Andrew and William.

Drottning

Quote from: memememe on September 27, 2013, 09:32:18 PM

Before WWII BP had a chapel - which is where QEII, for instance was baptised - but it was destroyed during the War (and is now The Queen's Gallery). As a result in 1948 there was no chapel there when Charles was born but they still wanted to baptise the future king in BP and so they used the Music Room as they did for Anne, Andrew and William.
Thank you for your post, Mememe. I had read that the palace had been hit by bombs during WW2 and seen photographs of the King and Queen inspecting damage, but I had no idea that an original chapel of the palace had been destroyed. I have been in London permanently for just under three years and have yet to take the tour of the Palace, but when I do, I shall certainly remember that the Queen`s Gallery was once the palace chapel.  :)

memememe

We have known what George would wear since the new gown was made for James so no surprises there.

We have known who would perform the ceremony as well - as the Archbishops of Canterbury have been the ones to baptise the acknowledged direct heirs - not necessarily indirect heirs like Harry or The Queen.

If they really wanted publicity it would be televised but the BRF don't need publicity and are able to have some events in their lives behind closed doors such as the baptism and the receptions for weddings for the heirs.

memememe

This is no different to what happened with William - date and place announced about a month before the christening and the godparents a day or so in advance.

cinrit

QuotePrince George to be Christened in St James's Palace Chapel Where Diana's Body Lay Before Her Funeral

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge said they had made the 'very personal' decision to have their son, Prince George, christened in the chapel where Prince William's mother's body lay before she was buried.

In a break with Royal tradition, the couple have chosen to hold an 'intimate' ceremony at the Chapel Royal of St James's Palace - where the body of Diana, Princess of Wales, lay before the altar for a week before her burial in 1997 so her family could pay their last respects.

Only closest family and friends will be present at the christening, which will take place on October 23,  conducted by the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Reverend Justin Welby.

Prince George to be christened next month in St James's Palace chapel where Diana's body lay before her funeral | Mail Online

Cindy

Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Drottning

There is a regular morning service at the St James chapel, on Sundays. A friend of my mother has been to this service (she is a devout Anglican) and she has said that the chapel has a beautiful atmosphere. The connection with the late Princess Diana will only add to the dignity and solemnity of this occasion, I believe.

RoyalFamFan23

I know Hugh Van Cutsem name has come up as a potential Godparent, but what about Thomas V (cant spell his last name but he married Melissa Percy) as a Godparent? Wasnt he pictured up at Balmoral with William a few weeks ago? Maybe he and Mellisa went up there and he was asked...just a thought.

georgiana996

I love the christning gown wow Cry God For Harry! England and Saint George!: Photo :vday4: :vday4: :vday4: :vday4: so intricate and pretty .... :blowkiss:
Surround yourself with people who are going to lift you higher.

memememe

That is the old christening gown and won't be used for George. The Queen had that gown replaced for the birth of James - and the new gown is the one George will wear.

NotWaitieKatie

But it is an exact replica, so should look just as intricate and pretty. :)
Just because you can.....Does not mean that you should.

cinrit

QuoteThe 7 Most Controversial Royal Christenings

The christening of Prince George of Cambridge on October 23 in the Chapel of Royal of St. James's Palace will be private occasion attended by family, close friends and the royal baby's godparents. From Saxon times until well into the reign of Queen Victoria, however, royal christenings were often public occasions. When the christening of a royal baby went according to plan, the ceremony effectively symbolized the close relationship between the Crown and the Church and presented the next generation of royal heirs to the world. Unfortunately, royal christenings also had the potential to showcase unfortunate omens, religious discord and conflicts within the royal family regarding names, godparents and child rearing. Here are the 7 most controversial British royal christenings:

The 7 Most Controversial Royal Christenings | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian

Cindy

Macrobug

Anne will be in Canada so I guess she will not be a godmother  :P
GNU Terry Pratchett

marine2109

angieuk

Prince George is not the only royal baby to be christened in the Chapel Royal at St James's Palace this year. Next month, Miss Maud Windsor – daughter of Lord and Lady Frederick Windsor and granddaughter of Prince and Princess Michael of Kent – will also be baptised there.

What's in the latest issue

Majesty Magazine - The Quality Royal Magazine

cinrit

QuotePrince George's Big Day: Your Invitation to the Christening of the Year

It is the christening the whole world would love to attend.  However, when Prince George is baptised on Wednesday at the Chapel Royal in St James's Palace, there could be fewer than 60 people gathered in the 16th century sanctuary.

The room where Elizabeth I said prayers before the Spanish Armada was defeated in 1588 and Charles I received Holy Communion before his execution in 1649, is steeped in history.

Mary I's heart is buried beneath the choir stalls and Queen Victoria married her beloved Prince Albert there in 1840. For Prince William and brother Harry the chapel has poignant memories. They paid their respects there to Diana, whose body lay in front of the altar for a week before her funeral in 1997.

Prince George's big day: Your invitation to the christening of the year | Royal | News | Daily Express

Cindy

georgiana996

I really can't wait to see what kate is going to wear for the christening  :Jen: :blowkiss: hope its good,not repeated and dull and you get the drift  :blahblahblah: .
Surround yourself with people who are going to lift you higher.

good221

Hey Everyone,

Sorry for the late reply I have been extremely busy for work, When I was in Scotland couple of weeks ago I learn that Van Melissa Husband will be one of Prince George God Father, I was not surprise because I Saw him hanging out with William and friends at a hunting party in Scotland and it make sense since Van is more of William friend and I am just reporting these base on  what I saw since I was there only as a guest of friend.  As for Cressida or anyone else I don't know but I was very inform that the media and the paparazzi will be all surrounding  the church and the street leading to the church will be close form Tuesday midnight until the parade or I will call it the naming ceremony of Samba aka lion king is over  so the chance of anyone sneaking uninvited is highly impossible :flower:

Drottning

I absolutely agree with the Archbishop and here, I may be stepping on toes because I know that many people on RIF are not believers. From the point of view of someone who is, baptism is the most important moment of a child`s life, a commitment is made to God which hopefully will be carried on into adult life and in the case of Prince George, this commitment will have even greater importance given that he will one day be the head of the established church in England. I know that the Queen is said to be quite devout and takes her role as supreme governor of the C of E very seriously, but what of Prince Charles and Prince William? It is not an aspect of their Royal lives that we hear or read about very often, or even at all

Windsor

Quote from: Drottning on October 22, 2013, 08:35:30 PM
baptism is the most important moment of a child`s life, a commitment is made to God

Barely able to muster a word, how can a baby commit to God?  :blink:

Drottning

I apologise, I can see that I phrased that wrongly  :blank: The blessing with holy water and the vows made by his parents and Godparents are of course a commitment to God which is made on the child`s behalf. Wether he or she makes their own personal commitment can only happen if they agree to be confirmed in the church. As I understand, both the Duke and Duchess are confirmed members of their church so hopefully they will see that their son follows suit, I do hope so but it will be his own personal choice of course.