The Iffy-Wiff Club: Archewell Foundation, Invictus, and other charities, news, a

Started by Blue Clover, May 24, 2023, 11:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristeh-H

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on May 12, 2024, 07:35:02 AMDaily Mail: Meghan Markle thanks Nigerians for welcoming her to 'my country': Duchess of Sussex, who says she's '43% Nigerian' tells audience in Abuja she hopes she can 'do justice' to being a 'role model' as she attends event without Harry

"My country" is an odd choice of words imo.

It seems odd to say the least, if not a bit pretentious.  My ancestors are English, Irish, and Croatian, but I could not say that England, Ireland, or Croatia are 'my' countries or 'my' home.     

Curryong

The Sussexes have probably sent another cheque for fees and it's already been sorted. And surely the staff at Archewell not the principals should have been attending to this. They must have an accountant. Why isn't he/she being questioned by Page Six?

Kristeh-H

It isn't only a check.  Archewell failed to submit an annual report as well.  I'm sure there is a staff member(s) who should have taken care of matters, but Harry and Meghan are the founders and public face of Archewell.  It's their organization, so 'the buck stops with them'.  It seems likely that Archewell would have received at least one warning before being declared delinquent, too, so this is pretty sloppy and unprofessional.  It goes back to them having trouble attracting and keeping competent staff.  I don't think either Harry or Meghan has a strong idea of what they're doing.   

Curryong

The issue has already been fixed! If you go to the URL in the above message, the Registry Status is now "Current". Some thoughts:
-The headline story about Archewell's "delinquent" status first broke on May 13th
- The issue was fixed in 24 hours. That is fast, especially considering the forms they submitted was 40+ pages of government tax forms, which would take more than a day to prepare.
- In fact, the signature on the first page was done in Nov 2023.
- Therefore, it would be reasonable to conclude that the forms were prepared on time (7 months ago), but due to some clerical error did not get stamped by the government. (The first page has a stamp that it was received on May 14th 2024)

And, incidentally, Governor Newcombe of California came to Archewell's defence.

PrincessOfPeace

The whole thing still smells pretty fishy to me. The Governor commenting didn't help. Almost as if someone had a word

Curryong

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on May 15, 2024, 09:16:21 AMThe whole thing still smells pretty fishy to me. The Governor commenting didn't help. Almost as if someone had a word

Well, if the someone who had a word was either Harry or Meghan they must have a whole lot more power in reality than their detractors have ever assigned to them.

TLLK

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on May 15, 2024, 09:16:21 AMThe whole thing still smells pretty fishy to me. The Governor commenting didn't help. Almost as if someone had a word
No it doesn't look good at all.  I know that the charity has been losing money but the fee was only $200.00. Why wasn't this taken care if earlier?

TLLK

Quote from: Kristeh-H on May 14, 2024, 12:10:57 PMIt isn't only a check.  Archewell failed to submit an annual report as well.  I'm sure there is a staff member(s) who should have taken care of matters, but Harry and Meghan are the founders and public face of Archewell.  It's their organization, so 'the buck stops with them'.  It seems likely that Archewell would have received at least one warning before being declared delinquent, too, so this is pretty sloppy and unprofessional.  It goes back to them having trouble attracting and keeping competent staff.  I don't think either Harry or Meghan has a strong idea of what they're doing.   

Good points Kristen-H. Ultimately this incident doesn't help Archewell's reputation.

Kristeh-H

Blue Clover

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on May 18, 2024, 10:07:57 AMDaily Mail: EXCLUSIVE- How Harry and Meghan were welcomed to Nigeria by a fugitive airline boss wanted in the US over $20M money laundering operation

It seems like an odd idea to go on global visits without being under the protection of an institution. The hosts would have been vetted and checked first, but they are doing this on their own.

Curryong

It wasn't a 'global visit'. It was a short visit to check out possibilities for Nigeria hosting a future Invictus Games. And that's all it was.

And if this CEO is wanted on charges in the US then having him in the reception party greeting Harry and Meghan is on the hosts who invited the Sussexes to Nigeria, not on their guests. The original, earlier DM article in which this info appeared even stated that arrangements had been made for another airline to fly the couple but that was changed (and not by them.)

It also stated in the same article that it was 'not being suggested that the Sussexes knew anything at all' about this individual. They almost certainly believed that this man had been vetted by the hosts who invited them.

From that article.

'There is no suggestion that either Harry or Meghan were aware of Onyema's history before they met him.

DailyMail.com also understands that the couple had planned to use a different airline but plans were changed at the last minute.'

TLLK

Quote from: Blue Clover on May 19, 2024, 10:31:35 PMIt seems like an odd idea to go on global visits without being under the protection of an institution. The hosts would have been vetted and checked first, but they are doing this on their own.
I am concerned that this individual was not vetted by the  Sussexes and their staff earlier.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on May 20, 2024, 03:36:15 AMI am concerned that this individual was not vetted by the  Sussexes and their staff earlier.

I don't believe that the Sussexes or their staff knew this particular individual was going to be in their reception party. That reception party looked just like 'a present and meet and greet' by the Nigerian Defence Ministry which was in charge.

And if the Nigerian Defence Minister or his Chief of Staff was in charge of who was going to be in the reception committee and he/they knew this man was wanted on criminal charges in the US, that was on them. The Sussexes were invited guests in the country. It's surely not up to guests to vet everyone they meet in these circumstances, or start changing arrangements themselves.

As the DM stated in their original report, it was expected that the couple were going to use another airline but he no doubt muscled in and told everyone that he would arrange travel for them.

Kristeh-H

Quote from: Curryong on May 20, 2024, 05:51:49 AMI don't believe that the Sussexes or their staff knew this particular individual was going to be in their reception party. That reception party looked just like 'a present and meet and greet' by the Nigerian Defence Ministry which was in charge.

And if the Nigerian Defence Minister or his Chief of Staff was in charge of who was going to be in the reception committee and he/they knew this man was wanted on criminal charges in the US, that was on them. The Sussexes were invited guests in the country. It's surely not up to guests to vet everyone they meet in these circumstances, or start changing arrangements themselves.

As the DM stated in their original report, it was expected that the couple were going to use another airline but he no doubt muscled in and told everyone that he would arrange travel for them.

I suspect you're right that this (alleged) criminal did use his influence to have the travel plans changed, but really--last minute changes in travel plans can be a security risk, especially when it is done simply at the behest of a person who is powerful, influential, and has their own agenda.  Changes like that are typically done for legitimate reasons and are thoroughly vetted by a security team. Luckily, it worked out fine in this case, but something like this really should be a red flag for people who are concerned about safety.