Former King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia News and Discussion

Started by TLLK, May 27, 2019, 07:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

According to the latest reports, including from sources close to the SRF, Juan Carlos is in Portugal, resting at Casa Grande Quinto de Peru, a place owned by longterm family friends near the town of Azeitao in Portugal. The Govt of the Dominican Republic has in fact denied that JC has entered their country.

Juan Carlos I se instala en Portugal acogido por la familia Brito e Cunha-Espirito Santo

QueenAlex

Quote from: Curryong on August 05, 2020, 01:34:59 AM
According to the latest reports, including from sources close to the SRF, Juan Carlos is in Portugal, resting at Casa Grande Quinto de Peru, a place owned by longterm family friends near the town of Azeitao in Portugal. The Govt of the Dominican Republic has in fact denied that JC has entered their country.

Juan Carlos I se instala en Portugal acogido por la familia Brito e Cunha-Espirito Santo

I'd prefer to think he's in Portugal as I think he'd only got to Dominica if there was serious scandal in the offing.  It does seem such a shame that he coudl have been a respected King, who restored Democracy to Spain and he's ended like this.

Double post auto-merged: August 05, 2020, 08:08:31 AM

Quote from: TLLK on August 04, 2020, 08:28:24 PM
@wannable- Side note-I'm pretty sure that my husband's cousin and his wife married at a resort in Punta Cana, DR.

Not surprised that JC had a sailing spot or two around the globe when he was actively sailing and when the couple were on one of their frequent breaks from each other.

IMVHO Sofia now has nearly everything she could have wanted out of her 50 plus year association with the Borbons. She's the respected Queen emeritus with her son on the throne. Her elder daughter Infanta Elena seems content with her post divorce life. If it wasn't for the sticky situation with Cristina and Inaki, life would be more or less perfect.

Harldy perfect.  These scandals might well knock her son off the throne as well, I dont think the Spanish monarchy is that stable.. and her husband is in exile..  Even if she doesn't care for him on a personals level that is hardly an ideal situation.  She must be angry that Juan C has ruined his repuation like this...

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on August 05, 2020, 01:34:59 AM

Thank you @Curryong for the update and confirmation from the DR that he's not in their country.

QueenAlex

I wonder if he will be able to visit Spain.. probably not because I think the Sp Monarchy is shaken badly by his behavior.  Felipe has had to cut his sister off, as it is.. now his father...so I suspect that none of hte SRF are too happy at the moment.

Curryong

Now Juan Carlos is supposedly heading for New Zealand! I can't see that being very likely as NZ is very protective of its borders at the moment, even with an ex monarch, and it would mean at least a fortnight's self- isolation for JC and party even if the authorities relented. (And I would imagine there's an extradition treaty with EU countries as well.)

El rey Juan Carlos, ?destino Nueva Zelanda?

QueenAlex

Quote from: Curryong on August 09, 2020, 10:41:21 AM
Now Juan Carlos is supposedly heading for New Zealand! I can't see that being very likely as NZ is very protective of its borders at the moment, even with an ex monarch, and it would mean at least a fortnight's self- isolation for JC and party even if the authorities relented. (And I would imagine there's an extradition treaty with EU countries as well.)

Good Lord why new Zealand? perhaps he's wary of being seen in some of the Arab countries as some of his naughty behaviour seems to involve dealings with these countries... but NZ is a long way to go and its possible that he mgiht not be let in there.

PrincessOfPeace

Juan Carlos claimed on Monday that he decided to leave Spain amid scandal But sources revealed that it was King Felipe himself who cast his father out Wanted to save his family from certain happenings relating to fathers affair

Spain's former king Juan Carlos, 82, 'was banished from the country by his son King Felipe VI' | Daily Mail Online

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on August 09, 2020, 10:41:21 AM

Wow! New Zealand would not have been on my radar as a choice. I would have guessed the Middle East or somewhere in a Spanish speaking nation.

Double post auto-merged: August 09, 2020, 01:36:09 PM

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on August 09, 2020, 12:03:49 PM
Juan Carlos claimed on Monday that he decided to leave Spain amid scandal But sources revealed that it was King Felipe himself who cast his father out Wanted to save his family from certain happenings relating to fathers affair

Spain's former king Juan Carlos, 82, 'was banished from the country by his son King Felipe VI' | Daily Mail Online

Poor Felipe who has been having to deal with the consequences his family's bewildering behavior for too many years now.

QueenAlex

I think he's personally honest in financail dealings, Felipe, but as his father's son, he may be in a tangle to do with Juan's saved up lumps of money..... He may have to cut the old man off pretty brutaly to keep himself safe.

TLLK

The uncertain future of Queen Sof?a, the ?most royal? royal in Europe ? Royal Central

QuoteShe is perhaps the last of the old European royal way. Daughter of a king, sister of a king, wife of a king and mother of a king, Queen Sof?a of Spain has a regal tale unmatched on the continent, and in the 21st century, it is a rarity. But she?s far more than a sum of her dynastic parts.

Sof?a is a consort who was pioneering a new way of carrying out the ancient role of royalty decades ago. She?s seen coups, exile and the lightning-fast pace of change transform several monarchies, several times over. Now, with her husband in exile and her son facing increasing calls for a debate on the future of his country?s crown, Queen Sof?a of Spain sees another challenge open up in front of her. The ?most royal? royal in Europe is witnessing another historic moment in a life that has already experienced plenty.

I believe that Sofia will continue to focus upon her grandchildren, supporting her son/daughter-in-law and her patronages. She's more or less lived a separate life from JC for decades, so she's used to doing her own thing.

Curryong

Yes I agree. Sofia is still very much admired in Spain but it's been tacitly understood for decades that she and JC only get together for family occasions and some important national events. If Juan Carlos is spinning around different parts of the world as has been reported in the last couple of weeks, who would want to share that?
Not to mention that he almost certainly doesn't want his spouse around anyway. Too much of a dampener on any extra-curricular activities he might wish for, although his age and physical condition are probably causing these to come to an end anyway.

Double post auto-merged: August 10, 2020, 04:26:07 AM

Incidentally, and I meant to say this earlier, I don't think that Felipe could no anything different to what he has done, with regard to financial inheritance from his father. Juan Carlos's finances are probably such a tangled web of off shore tax havens, secret Swiss bank accounts, third party corrupt schemes and God knows what else that anyone of any public standing whatsoever wouldn't go near it.

I wouldn't want to be responsible for deciding which portion of the wealth was fine and which was from ill-gotten gains. If JC had kept his nose clean and restricted himself to legal investments he would still have been able to leave his son a considerable sum. As it is, Felipe will get nothing.

PrincessOfPeace

Spain's scandal-hit former King Juan Carlos, 82, is staying with his lover of 40 years in luxury Abu Dhabi hotel after fleeing Spain with just two suitcases of 'essentials', royal expert claims

More: Spain's former King Juan Carlos is with lover of 40 years in Abu Dhabi hotel, royal expert claims  | Daily Mail Online

TLLK

Curryong

JC may be at Abu Dhabi now (and how typical that he has a longterm girlfriend with him) but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him wriggle back to Portugal in a few months, with the caveat that he is not going to be prosecuted. It was certainly a hurried departure!

Macrobug67

Yikes.  I?m not a huge fan of the Spanish Royal family but man, this has gotta sting.  And they don?t deserve it.  You can choose your friends but you get what you get with family

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on August 13, 2020, 10:24:08 PM
JC may be at Abu Dhabi now (and how typical that he has a longterm girlfriend with him) but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him wriggle back to Portugal in a few months, with the caveat that he is not going to be prosecuted. It was certainly a hurried departure!
As far as  I know this longterm girlfriend is not Corrina, but someone else who he's been with for decades. :wacko:

Macrobug67

TLLK

A long list of Spanish slurs are running through my mind right now.

QueenAlex

He is an old man, who has behaved very badly and stupidly and has had to leave his country in old age because if he did'nt it might cause a lot of problems for his remaining family.  Im glad if he has  ladyfriend.. It may be the only companionship he will have now...

TLLK

New poll shows high disapproval for the self inflicted exile of King Juan Carlos of Spain ? Royal Central

QuoteA new poll for one of the most pro monarchy newspapers in Spain show that over half of those who took part disapprove of the departure of Juan Carlos I from the country he ruled for almost forty years. And 60% those asked believe that his decision harms the present monarch. The poll published last week by the newspaper ABC is not good news for the Spanish monarchy.

More than half of those who responded, 56.2 %, consider the decision of the former monarch, Juan Carlos, to reside outside of Spain to be wrong. Only one in four respondents, 25.4 %, agrees with his departure while 11.9 % said they were indifferent to the move. Only 23.8 % says that they think the departure of King Juan Carlos will benefit his son and successor, King Felipe VI.

The poll also found that the majority of respondents still regard the legacy of King Juan Carlos as positive, despite his departure amid allegations of financial corruption. published in recent months. However, support for his legacy decreases among the youngest and increases among the oldest respondents.

Those most critical of the previous monarch are those under 29 years of age, who did not experience the transition to a democracy in Spain from Franco to King Juan Carlos. According to the ABC-survey, 59 % of people below 29 years consider that the legacy of the former Monarch is negative for Spain. Only 33 percent of those under the age of 29 rate his legacy as positive.

However, as the age of the respondents increases, support for the legacy of Juan Carlos also increases. From the age of 30, there are more who defend him than those who criticize him. ABC?s poll shows 49 % aged between 30 and 44 years old consider his legacy positive, compared to 46 % who rate it as negative. Of the people who are older than 45 years old, 57 % rate the former Kings legacy as positive.

Honestly, no surprise here for the results.

Curryong

No, no surprise, in spite of Felipe's decisive efforts to separate himself and the monarchy from what his father has done. The reactions in this poll are obviously affected by the age of the respondents but I do have to say that I'm always surprised by the affection in which Juan Carlos is still held by older Spaniards, even ones who didn't care for the monarchy overly much.

Respect for Queen Sophia I can understand but to be tolerant of multiple mistresses and money grubbing corruption that went on for decades is a bit more eyebrow raising for me, even though I do appreciate the King's skilful steering of the country after Franco.