Soldier Sophie puts on army uniform as she meets troops

Started by wannable, August 15, 2011, 09:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannable

QuoteSoldier Sophie puts on army uniform as she meets troops training for the frontline in Afghanistan

At the Royal Wedding of William and Catherine she won admiration for her choice of a Jane Taylor hat matched with a Bruce Oldfield designed suit.
Now though Sophie, Countess of Wessex, has chosen a much less fashionable design.
The Countess donned this military helmet in her role as Colonel-of-Chief of 5 rifles when she visited them during an exercise at Copehill Down on Salisbury Plain.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2026353/Soldier-Sophie-tries-army-uniform-meets-troops-training-frontline-Afghanistan.html#ixzz1V8LAKTZC   

Into the spirit! 

Molly2101

Thanks for the article.  Sophie is an impressively pretty woman.

What does bug me though is people commenting on her, and more importantly Edward, wearing Army uniform when they have not "earned" it.  Get. Over. It.  People have nothing better to do than complain about it.  I imagine she simply put the uniform on for effect.  If I am correct, Princess Anne has never served in the army or navy, yet she RIDES behind her mother in uniform for Trooping the Colour.  You don't see people getting pent up over that?  Perhaps I am wrong in saying Anne has neevr served.  I do hope someone can correct me on this if I am wrong.  Another comment was why is she married to Edward?...um...because she loves him?  People are awfully ignorant at times.  Anywhooooo, lovely images and a nice article to go with.  :)
"Chance meeting your perfect other, your perfect opposite - your protector and endangerer. Chance embarking with this other on the greatest of journeys."

SophieChloe

Quote from: Molly2101 on August 16, 2011, 05:26:01 PM

What does bug me though is people commenting on her, and more importantly Edward, wearing Army uniform when they have not "earned" it.  Get. Over. It.  People have nothing better to do than complain about it.
With all respect - as much as some love to see the Royals play at Dress Up - Others don't appreciate it - each to their own and no need to "get over it" either way - IMO. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Molly2101

Quote from: sophiechloe on August 16, 2011, 05:33:39 PM

What does bug me though is people commenting on her, and more importantly Edward, wearing Army uniform when they have not "earned" it.  Get. Over. It.  People have nothing better to do than complain about it.
With all respect - as much as some love to see the Royals play at Dress Up - Others don't appreciate it - each to their own and no need to "get over it" either way - IMO.

I understand what you are saying, and perhaps it is wrong of me to say "get over it".  I suppose people just want to have something to complain over.  Apologies, I did not mean to offend anyone.
"Chance meeting your perfect other, your perfect opposite - your protector and endangerer. Chance embarking with this other on the greatest of journeys."

SophieChloe

Quote from: Molly2101 on August 16, 2011, 05:46:36 PM

I understand what you are saying, and perhaps it is wrong of me to say "get over it".  I suppose people just want to have something to complain over.  Apologies, I did not mean to offend anyone.
Aww - You did not offend me at all, just putting my point across - I appreciate your point of view too  :hug:

memememe

The royals aren't playing 'dress up' though.

They hold honourary ranks and thus they are entitled to wear the uniforms.  The military understand the difference and the role of the honourary colonel-in-chief.  It is the same as those people of all walks of life who wear academic dress associated with honourary degrees from universities - they didn't earn the degrees but are entitled to wear the relevant dress due to the fact that they have been awarded the degree.  As all officers have the commissions from the Queen and she is the one who appoints the colonels-in-chief etc these royals do hold these commissions from her - just as William and Harry have substantive ranks Sophie and Edward have honourary rank and it is just as real as the other - as far as it goes.  No one expects them to go to the front because they haven't been trained for that but for them to go to an event like the one Sophie was at and not wear the approrpriate uniform for the rank they hold would actually be wrong.

It is exactly the same situation as William wearing the uniform of an honourary colonel on his wedding day - that rank hasn't been earned but has been given by the Queen as an honourary rank.  It was just as much a 'dress up' as Sophie wearing uniform, when attending an event in her role of colonel-in-chief of the regiment.  Philip also wore army uniform to the wedding but no one criticised him for doing so but his training was navy and his substantive rank nothing like what he now holds - he didn't earn that rank through service but through being the husband of the Queen. 

Molly2101

Quote from: memememe on August 16, 2011, 11:10:16 PM

The royals aren't playing 'dress up' though.

They hold honourary ranks and thus they are entitled to wear the uniforms.  The military understand the difference and the role of the honourary colonel-in-chief.  It is the same as those people of all walks of life who wear academic dress associated with honourary degrees from universities - they didn't earn the degrees but are entitled to wear the relevant dress due to the fact that they have been awarded the degree.  As all officers have the commissions from the Queen and she is the one who appoints the colonels-in-chief etc these royals do hold these commissions from her - just as William and Harry have substantive ranks Sophie and Edward have honourary rank and it is just as real as the other - as far as it goes.  No one expects them to go to the front because they haven't been trained for that but for them to go to an event like the one Sophie was at and not wear the approrpriate uniform for the rank they hold would actually be wrong.

It is exactly the same situation as William wearing the uniform of an honourary colonel on his wedding day - that rank hasn't been earned but has been given by the Queen as an honourary rank.  It was just as much a 'dress up' as Sophie wearing uniform, when attending an event in her role of colonel-in-chief of the regiment.  Philip also wore army uniform to the wedding but no one criticised him for doing so but his training was navy and his substantive rank nothing like what he now holds - he didn't earn that rank through service but through being the husband of the Queen.

Thank you for clearing that up!  It does bug me a lot when the tabloids start a riot because the family wear uniform when they have not served.  I did mention they had honourary appointments which they were given by the Sovereign; they have to up hold these appointments.  Wearing the uniform is all part of it!  Princess Anne never served but she rides for Trooping the Colour is Colonel for the Blues and Royals, yet people do not get worked up over it.  I am glad someone else agrees with me!

I like that they wear the uniforms as it shows they are proud of their regiments, as well as ensuring they are a part of their regiment.

SophieChloe

We'll just have to agree to disagree, you like it - I don't!  Regardless of Princess Anne wearing one too  :). 

memememe

Quote from: sophiechloe on August 17, 2011, 04:51:32 PM
We'll just have to agree to disagree, you like it - I don't!  Regardless of Princess Anne wearing one too  :).

What don't you like?

That they wear the uniform to which they are entitled due to the rank they hold?

Or that they actually are given honourary ranks at all?

In which case I assume you also didn't approve of William wearing the uniform of a colonel in the Irish Guards at his wedding or his grandfather wearing the uniform of a General.

Even the Queen has worn uniforms that she didn't earn - so I suppose you didn't approve of her wearing any uniform above that of a Lt in the ATS - the rank she earned with all other ranks, including that of Head of the Armed Services is simply an honourary one.

The royals hold these ranks - earned or not - they are their ranks and so they wear the uniform of that rank - not just through entitlement but to not wear it would be insulting to the men and women of the regiment/unit etc of whom they are the honourary colonel-in-chief.  If you hold a rank in a unit and you don't wear that uniform when inspecting the troops then you are insulting them.

What I suppose you really want is that the royals don't take honourary ranks at all and only wear the uniform of the service in which they served and at the rank that they actually reached - so Philip would be a Lt Commander in the navy - the rank he had reached when he left active service in July 1951 - and no army or air force uniforms as he didn't serve with those forces (he wore army uniform to William's wedding because he holds the honourary rank in the army).

You can't have it both ways - either they can all wear the uniform of their honourary ranks or none of them can.

SophieChloe

Quote from: memememe on August 17, 2011, 11:58:04 PM

What don't you like?

You can't have it both ways - either they can all wear the uniform of their honourary ranks or none of them can.
- I'm not trying to "have it both ways".  I do not like nor appreciate it - full stop.  You obviously do, and good for you! -

memememe

Quote from: sophiechloe on August 18, 2011, 07:54:36 AM

What don't you like?

- I'm not trying to "have it both ways".  I do not like nor appreciate it - full stop.  You obviously do, and good for you! -

So just so I am clear - you totally disapprove of the uniform William wore to his wedding (along with the one Philip wore) and the uniform that the Queen wore to Trooping the Colour etc.?

SophieChloe

Quote from: memememe on August 18, 2011, 08:52:56 AM

What don't you like?

So just so I am clear - you totally disapprove of the uniform William wore to his wedding (along with the one Philip wore) and the uniform that the Queen wore to Trooping the Colour etc.?
I think I have made my position clear enough.  You seem happy and appreciative of them ALL dressing up in their uniforms and again Good for you - I'm pleased for you - no doubt there will be many more opportunities in the future to see them all dressed in their finery.   However, please respect my opinion. 

memememe

Quote from: sophiechloe on August 18, 2011, 10:26:26 AM
Quote from: memememe on August 18, 2011, 08:52:56 AM

What don't you like?

I think I have made my position clear enough.  You seem happy and appreciative of them ALL dressing up in their uniforms and again Good for you - I'm pleased for you - no doubt there will be many more opportunities in the future to see them all dressed in their finery.   However, please respect my opinion.

I do respect you opinion.

I wanted some clarity though.

Do you approve of the Queen wearing the uniform of any service other than that of a LT in the ATS?

Do you approve of Pjilip wearing the uniform of any service other than that of a Lt Commander in the Navy?

Do you approve of William wearing the uniform of a Colonel in the Irish Guard?

Or is it only Sophie and Edward?

cinrit

I personally don't care one way or the other, but I understand sophiechloe's position.  I feel the same about people here in the U.S. who are given honorary university degrees.  We've got celebrities walking around with honorary Ph.D.'s, which I consider an insult to those who worked long hours in order to earn theirs the old-fashioned way.  So, Royals who wear the uniforms of ranks they have not achieved is sort of the same thing ...

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

SophieChloe

Quote from: cinrit on August 18, 2011, 01:13:04 PM
I personally don't care one way or the other, but I understand sophiechloe's position.  I feel the same about people here in the U.S. who are given honorary university degrees.  We've got celebrities walking around with honorary Ph.D.'s, which I consider an insult to those who worked long hours in order to earn theirs the old-fashioned way.  So, Royals who wear the uniforms of ranks they have not achieved is sort of the same thing ...

Cindy
Hi Cindy - yes, you sum my position up perfectly - Thank You  :hug: -
Memememe : I will not be monstered into giving you an in-depth answer - (I apologise if that was not your intent).  But I'm sure I made my feelings clear  :flower:. 

memememe

Quote from: sophiechloe on August 18, 2011, 06:30:45 PM
Quote from: cinrit on August 18, 2011, 01:13:04 PM

Cindy
Hi Cindy - yes, you sum my position up perfectly - Thank You  :hug: -
Memememe : I will not be monstered into giving you an in-depth answer - (I apologise if that was not your intent).  But I'm sure I made my feelings clear  :flower:.

I didn't mean to monster you.  I simply wanted clarity - which I still don't have but so be it.  I will make an asusmption that you object whenever you see the Queen wearing military uniform or any of the other royals wearing the uniform of a regiment or service in which they didn't serve or of a rank they didn't attain through service - which is all of them except Harry and William when in their current service uniforms but not what William wore to his wedding or to Trooping the Colour - so you of course object to the royals wearing the uniforms that do at that ceremony of course.

I will also tell you that the regiments ask for royals to be their honourary colonels etc and expect them to wear the appropirate uniform.  In effect the royal is the patron of that regiment and like other patrons of other organisations is expected to dress appropriately but you obviously find that objectionable as well - that any patron of any organisation might dress in the way of the rest of that organisation if they have a standard dress.

Having served in the military I do know that having the honourary colonei-in-chief come on parade was one of the highlights of the year and we were all very proud to see him in the uniform of our unit, even though he had never served with that unit, or even in the army.  We would have felt insulted had he not done so and hurt that he didn't want to be part of us, even in an honourary capacity.  I was discussing your viewpoint with a couple of my colleagues last night and they agree with me - we were always honoured when he came and delighted to see him wearing our uniform.  Maybe my experience lets me see the situation in a different light to your 'playing dress up'.

SophieChloe

Quote from: memememe on August 18, 2011, 09:07:20 PM
I was discussing your viewpoint with a couple of my colleagues last night and they agree with me - we were always honoured when he came and delighted to see him wearing our uniform.  Maybe my experience lets me see the situation in a different light to your 'playing dress up'.
That's great - glad your colleagues agreed with you - each to their own  :hug: -