Kate Middleton Dubbed 'Duchess Of Normcore' By Vogue

Started by Limabeany, April 21, 2014, 07:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limabeany

Kate Middleton Dubbed 'Duchess Of Normcore' By Vogue

The whole world might be enamoured with Kate Middleton and her fashions (us included), but for a certain style critic, the Duchess is a bit of a yawn.

In a piece published on Vogue UK's website, writer Sarah Mower discusses the 32-year-old's royal appearances and dubs the Duchess of Cambridge as "The Duchess Of Normal."

So what does that mean?

Well, as the article continues, the fashion critic goes on to call Catherine's one-colour suits and coats (which we've seen plenty of in the past week and a half) predictable, which we suppose isn't necessarily inaccurate.

We can see where Mower's coming from -- the Duchess often opts for solid colour ensembles, classic footwear, and A-line silhouettes. She rarely goes for prints or patterns and she tends to recycle her wardrobe, so she literally wears the same thing on multiple occasions. But aside from her perfectly polished skirt suits, Kate also has a penchant for wearing regular, everyday clothes (read: her tried and true Zara blazer).

The royal couple was also called "dull" back in January by BBC historian, Christopher Lee, so Vogue's article isn't coming out of nowhere. It should also be noted that a Duchess (or Duke) likely has very specific guidelines for their clothes -- we all know how the Queen felt about Kate's hemlines.

But perhaps Middleton can take a style cue from fellow royals like Princess Charlene of Monaco, who once rocked an awesome biker jacket with a dramatic Ralph Lauren gown, or Charlotte Casiraghi (daughter of Caroline, Princess of Hanover) , who boldly wore a Chanel couture gown and looked amazing.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

PrincessOfPeace

Kate Middleton is fast becoming the Duchess of Normcore. (Though ironically—as we know—there's nothing more acutely fashionable than that.)

Kate Middleton Does Normcore - Vogue

The original article

Limabeany

Ah, another Kate The Great is a far cry from boring Diana article...  :Lothwen:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

cinrit

After Vogue put Kanye and Kim on the cover, I don't much take notice of what they have to say about fashion.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

bluhare

^^^^
Oh my, Cindy.  I must agree with you on that one!

cinrit

^^ Although it did inspire some interesting parody photos. :lol:

Cindy

Limabeany

:notworthy: :goodpost:

That was a gigantic miss....

Quote from: cinrit on April 21, 2014, 09:08:46 PM
After Vogue put Kanye and Kim on the cover, I don't much take notice of what they have to say about fashion.

Cindy

Lothwen

I find what Kate wears to be boring, overall, and not very flattering on her. There's nothing exciting or memorable that she wears. I find myself having to look back at pictures again just to remember what she wore.
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

Lady Adams

Quote from: cinrit on April 21, 2014, 09:08:46 PM

Cindy
Oh, snap!

Cindy, that was the best one-liner I've ever seen you write.
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

cinrit

Trudie

I have no problem with the way Kate dresses if she were a working professional in PR or working in a art museum I think she always looks looks polished. I would like to see Kate take more risks and dress in bright prints and experiment more with different shapes and take risks. Kate has a lovely figure but her fit and flare dresses hide her although her short dresses do not always flatter her either. I think the best she ever looked was in a lace pink or peach column dress she wore during the jubilee she totally looked amazing.

sandy

I was looking at photos of Kate's last day on the trip and I like her hair pulled back it looks elegant and does not fall into her face so she constantly has to push it back. The long hair look was OK in Uni but at over 30 time for something more sophisticated. Trimming the long hair would look good it would not look "short" but the hair would look healthier and fuller.