Queen Elizabeth may meet the first woman in space

Started by Jennifer, February 26, 2017, 12:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

The Queen has definitely met a lot of interesting people in her 60 years and more on the throne. I didn't know Dr Valentina Tereshkova was the first woman in space. I never heard of her before & would like to see the movie about her life called the Legend of Valentina to learn more about her. The Queen will most likely attend the concert at Science Museum in London to celebrate Valentina's 80th birthday. I think she will met with her there.

During her 60 plus years on the throne, The Queen has met people from all walks of life, careers, countries, ethnicities, cultures and accomplishments. She has met numerous heads of state, fellow monarchs, presidents, dictators, and other controversial individuals. 2017 has been declared the UK-Russia Year of Science and Education, and though Buckingham Palace has yet to provide confirmation, The Queen may meet with the first woman in space, Russian cosmonaut, Valentina Tereshkova.

Buckingham Palace only stated regarding the meeting: "The Queen's schedule will be confirmed in due course," a Buckingham Palace spokesperson told TASS. Though, earlier on Wednesday, Russian State Duma Speaker, Vyacheslav Volodin said a meeting between the monarch and first woman in space could take place in March.

Tereshkova is a Duma parliamentarian. According to Volodin, the lower house received "a request from the director of the Science Museum, London, Ian Blatchford, with an initiative to hold an exhibition on 13-16 March devoted to the first woman in space, Valentina Tereshkova."

Read more:
Queen Elizabeth may meet the first woman in space – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

Curryong

Yes, Valentina was a fascinating character and so brave. One of the pioneers in space. The Russians lost quite a few early astronauts. I remember reading that US CIA operatives were monitoring one early flight and they couldn't get the male astronaut back to earth. They listened to the communications from the Russian launching facility telling him he was a hero and his name would live for ever in the annals of the Soviet Union. Obviously he died in space.

TLLK

@Curryong-I've had the opportunity to see some of the early Soviet space program flight suits and other  equipment on display at Cape Canaveral and the Smithsonian Air and Space museum. It did not appear to be particularly well designed when compared to the American ones so I can see why there would have been some fatalities. (Yes I am aware that the US had its own losses during that era.)

What a thrill for QEII and other guests to meet one of the early space elite!

Jennifer

I would like to read more about Valentina. Not too many people know about the female astronauts because the male ones always received a lot of attention and recognition throughout history for their accomplishments. There are plenty of courageous women who became astronauts with forgotten stories. Unfortunately, this shows how sexist our society is. I just hope they will one day be seen as important as men.
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston