Leonor, Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofia News and Events

Started by Macrobug67, July 29, 2020, 04:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TudorQueen

I assume Leonor will do some. Like Elisabeth, Leonor will be the commander in chief of the armed forces when she takes the throne.

I don't think any heirs should go into military training unless

1. like the girls they will be commanders in chief one day
2. military service is mandatory in the country

Military service is a lot of money, time and man power. All which is better spent on someone who is actually looking to serve in the military (not in a ceremonial role but actual active duty). And this should go for both genders, male and female.

What Elisabeth did (which is a normal program offered to anyone) or the modified training Victoria did are both good option for people who were never actually going to serve.

TLLK

Agreed. It does make sense to have the heir prepared to undertake some military training if he/she is going to be the future Commander-in-Chief.

Blue Clover

I also agree. It is very important she is viewed as competent in military matters.

Macrobug67

Leonor seems to be a very gentle, soft individual.  Doing military training may help her with confidence and give her more authority.  Spain is a macho culture and she is going to need to be strong as a woman leader. 

Blue Clover

Quote from: Macrobug67 on August 18, 2021, 07:49:06 PM
Leonor seems to be a very gentle, soft individual.  Doing military training may help her with confidence and give her more authority.  Spain is a macho culture and she is going to need to be strong as a woman leader. 

Yes, exactly!

PrincessOfPeace

Curryong

Good luck Leonor, on the next stage of life, study at the UWC. I?m sure you?ll love it!

TLLK

Best wishes to Leonor for a very successful school year filled with happy memories.

Macrobug67

Macrobug67

She?s arrived.  That?s the most real and age appropriate I have ever seen her.  She looks fabulous and very happy. 

And I want to float around in a beautiful gown through that gorgeous court yard and then go in and read a book in front of a roaring fireplace in one of the many parlours. 

I could live there quite nicely, thank you very much!

PrincessOfPeace

Curryong

Here?s the history of Atlantic College. Apparently where Leonor is strolling is St Donat?s, a 12th century castle which is the main building. The students are housed in accommodation blocks elsewhere, but the castle does look lovely. Apparently the school was begun by Kurt Hahn of Gordonstoun fame, in 1963, when he must have been quite old.
The only caveat I?d put here is that it is probably quite cold in the winter with the winds from the sea whipping through and Wales is one of the rainiest places in Britain. Too cold for me. I?d rather have a castle in Italy!  But I agree, St Donat?s looks beautiful.

Atlantic College - Wikipedia

TLLK

Quote from: Macrobug67 on August 30, 2021, 07:33:35 PM

She?s arrived.  That?s the most real and age appropriate I have ever seen her.  She looks fabulous and very happy. 

And I want to float around in a beautiful gown through that gorgeous court yard and then go in and read a book in front of a roaring fireplace in one of the many parlours. 

I could live there quite nicely, thank you very much!

She looks so happy to be there. I believe that this would be her  first day school without a  uniform! :happy17: My own daughter owns a nearly identical ensemble by the way.

Macrobug67

Quote from: Curryong on August 30, 2021, 11:32:26 PM
Here?s the history of Atlantic College. Apparently where Leonor is strolling is St Donat?s, a 12th century castle which is the main building. The students are housed in accommodation blocks elsewhere, but the castle does look lovely. Apparently the school was begun by Kurt Hahn of Gordonstoun fame, in 1963, when he must have been quite old.
The only caveat I?d put here is that it is probably quite cold in the winter with the winds from the sea whipping through and Wales is one of the rainiest places in Britain. Too cold for me. I?d rather have a castle in Italy!  But I agree, St Donat?s looks beautiful.

Atlantic College - Wikipedia

I imagine that the kids from warmer climates, like Leonor, will have some adjusting to do.  Being Canadian and owning a
-40C rated parka, I would be ok.  As long as those fireplaces are working.

I hope they have fun and enjoy their time.  Poor Sofia looked rather sad that her sister was leaving.  She will have some adjustments to do, also. 

Curryong

My blood?s thinned through years in Australia! Cold weather coming in from the Atlantic?s not for me.

Yes, Felipe, Leti, Leonor and Sofia have always been a very close foursome and although I?m sure Sofia has many school friends it?s inevitable that she?ll miss her sister a lot. However Leonor will be home for Xmas so not too long to wait.

Curryong

Typical of the Fail to allege that Atlantic College been nicknamed ?Hippie Hogwarts?. The only people giving this prestigious and popular school that name are their journalists. Always a sneer somewhere in all their articles  with that rag.

TudorQueen

She looks so happy. Think the time away will be great for her confidence as well as schooling.

She does look more her age here then official events. And no more uniforms.

Hope her and Alexia both have a fantastic first year there

PrincessOfPeace

The Princess of Asturias Awards will take place October 22. It is expected that, as has been the case since 2019, Princess Leonor will preside over the ceremony with her parents and participate in the events with the winners.

Los premios Princesa de Asturias recuperan algunas de sus tradicionales citas

TLLK

Leonor will be returning to Spain for the Princess of Austurias Awards Concert on 10/21/21.
THURSDAY 21st OCTOBER

7:30pm. The 29th Princess of Asturias Awards Concert, presided over by Their Majesties the King and Queen, with the presence of Their Royal Highnesses The Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sof?a of Spain.

TudorQueen

Leonor is home from Wales and attended the concert for the Princess of Asturius awards

https://images.ecestaticos.com/WpHo5gRfhkfTkOysHgpXwOSTHZg=/21x0:1496x1968/560x747/filters:fill(white):format(jpg)/https://f.elconfidencial.com/original/b2d/016/ffd/b2d016ffd55ffc80f8bd05d09c13cd7e.jpg

https://cdn.semana.es/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/familia-real-leonor-letizia-696x522.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVTIWaNtWmw/

https://twitter.com/rtvenoticias/status/1451239523220918278

Premios Princesa de Asturias: el concierto - Foto 3

Great to see her. Hopefully though she isnt missing much at school. I appreciate the need for her to be seen still, but at her age the focus, heir or not, should be on schooling.

TLLK

Thank you @TudorQueen for the links. I would imagine that Atlantic College will be willing to  make  the occasional accommodation for their who are in a unique situation like Leonor.   Plus as we've discovered during the pandemic, distance learning can still take place. After all  with modern technology Leonor can keep in contact with her instructors and have access to her assignments while she's on a short break.

TudorQueen

@TLLK That is true but there is more to the school experience then the books. Especially when she is at boarding school. The social interaction, activities and so on. One thing we have indeed learned with covid, while yes distance learning is possible, the social interaction for kids was a huge factor missing. A lot of kids have suffered emotionally during covid due to isolation.

Thankfully Leonor will be back at school after a break. But sending her to Wales is a chance for her to be a normal kid for once and not the future queen of her peers. While she understands her duties, there is likely part of her wondering what her friends at school are doing after class, or this weekend, when she is home on duty.