DoY Patronages, military appointments

Started by sara8150, February 06, 2020, 11:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

?Following the decision by His Royal Highness to step back from public duties for the foreseeable future, the Duke of York has asked the Ministry of Defence if this promotion might be deferred until such time that His Royal Highness returns to public duty.?

Returns to public duty? :notamused:

QueenAlex

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: QueenAlex on February 07, 2020, 09:40:14 PM
certainly hope he does not really think that.
I think he does think that, but as time goes on he may finally realize he burned his bridges.

LouisFerdinand

Royal Central stated "if and when he returns to royal duties". Is not Prince Andrew completely through with partaking in any royal duties?

Princess Cassandra

Most likely advisors convinced him it wouldn't go over well and he'd better refuse and whoever wrote it left the door ajar to placate him.

QueenAlex

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on February 10, 2020, 03:23:07 AM
I think he does think that, but as time goes on he may finally realize he burned his bridges.
I do have fears.  I hope that Charles can see he will never be rehabilitated and wont ever try to use him even in a very limited capacity..  I fear that the queen still has hopes that in time his bad behaviour will be forgotten.. and that she still clings to a belief that he didn't do antythig so very wrong.

TLLK

The DoY is no longer performing royal duties but still continues to hold patronages and military appointments. All news related to those topics should be posted here.

Prince Andrew's Pitch@Palace Global on 'pause' after close friend quits

QuoteThe Duke of York?s flagship business enterprise is hanging by a thread after his close friend, a Swedish billionaire, quit and the company?s offices shut down.

Sports tycoon Johan Eliasch has stepped down from Pitch@Palace Global, after some 15 staff resigned in a year, leaving only an accountant to oversee what is left of the company in an administrative role.

A spokesperson insisted that the company ?remains in a pause position while its future direction and strategy is determined? rather than being shut down for good.

However, there are no plans to relaunch the Dragons Den-style initiative in the foreseeable future, ?in fact the opposite,? a source told The Telegraph, as it emerged that even its ownership was under review.

Any decision to wind up the project, one of the Duke?s sole remaining business interests, would come as a blow to the beleaguered royal.

The initiative, which brokered deals between tech start-ups and wealthy investors, was thrown into disarray by his disastrous Newsnight interview in November 2019, after which its charitable arm was wound up as corporate sponsors withdrew support.

Curryong

What happened to Andrew's ex PS? Did she resign from Pitch as well and nobody notice? I can't see how this organisation will continue post-Covid without financial backing. Businesses, even small ones, need serious money to help them survive. Maybe Andrew can can call up a few of his oligarch mates to assist, or maybe not if they won't take his calls any more, lol.

TLLK

Here's the latest I could find on his former private secretary Amanda Thirsk.

Duke of York's private secretary reaches legal settlement to end employment in Royal Household after 15 years

Prince Andrew's former aide quits Pitch business role | Business News | Sky News

QuoteThe Duke of York's former private secretary has resigned as chief executive of his flagship business venture three months after reaching a settlement to leave Buckingham Palace.

Sky News has learnt that Amanda Thirsk has resigned from Pitch@Palace to take up an undisclosed role in the private sector.

Her departure will come ahead of an attempt to relaunch the project under the name Pitch Connect, reflecting its new-found distance from the royal household.

The initiative, which connects start-up companies to mentors and investors around the world, is expected to recruit a new chief executive in the coming weeks.

Sources said that Ms Thirsk had informed Pitch's network of entrepreneurs about her resignation on Tuesday.

One start-up founder who was notified of the news described it as "a disappointment because of her excellent work, but not a surprise".

It says it has helped nearly 1,000 start-ups since being set up in 2014.

Curryong

Thank you TLLK! So Amanda has been gone for some months? Hmm, wonder whether that was before or after the 15 or so other staff resigned and the financial support dried up? The old phrase about 'rats deserting a sinking ship' comes to mind. I think Pitch deserves to have another patron as the idea behind the enterprise was excellent but under another name and not connected to the RF in any way.

TLLK

I agree that Pitch@Palace definitely deserves a reboot with a new name at some point in the future especially with its past record of assisting 1,000+ start ups? I wonder if it could be a member of the extended family who doesn't perform senior royal duties ie: Earl Snowden, Peter Phillips, Zara Tindall?

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on January 25, 2021, 02:24:52 PM
I agree that Pitch@Palace definitely deserves a reboot with a new name at some point in the future especially with its past record of assisting 1,000+ start ups? I wonder if it could be a member of the extended family who doesn't perform senior royal duties ie: Earl Snowden, Peter Phillips, Zara Tindall?

Frankly I'd prefer some philanthropic wealthy commoner with a background in both IT and running a business from the ground up. Andrew had never had been a business owner (unless lining your own pockets in the course of a semi-official Trade role for your country can be so considered) and such a worthwhile enterprise doesn't really require a Royal as Patron IMO.

TLLK

https://twitter.com/RoyaNikkhah/status/1365939023370452993

QuoteEXCLUSIVE The Duke of York will be replaced at Trooping the Colour by war hero Major General Roland Walker.  Questions now raised about why Prince Andrew still holds his @GrenadierGds
role when Prince Harry lost his @RoyalMarines
title? @thesundaytimes

I believe that this is a fair question. I do understand that the DoY has not been convicted of a crime, but it does appear that he will no longer be an official representative of the monarchy and the UK for the rest of his mother's reign. Likely that will continue into his brother's and nephew's as well.

Current members of the BRF  who are  Royal Colonels who ride on horseback or in a carriage at the Trooping of the Color are: PoW-Welsh Guards, DoCam-Irish Guards, PssR-The Blues and Royals, DoK-Scots Guards. So this year Major General Roland Walker will represent the Grenadier Guards. IMO the next member of the family who should take on the Grenadier Guards would be Prince Edward as I don't see the Duke of Gloucester taking on the role at this point in time.

Curryong

Excellent news! Hope he's cut from any RF ceremony for ever more. And questions should be asked about why he still holds his military appointments.

TLLK

@Curryong-Agreed. IMO it's time for them to be removed as it's fairly clear that he won't be returning as an official representative. Again, I do realize that he's not been convicted of anything however I agree that he's an embarrassment to the armed forces.

Reportedly sources in the military wanted him removed from those positions back in Nov. 2019.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/strip-duke-of-military-roles-urge-top-brass-227ks9r2j

QuoteThe Duke of York has become an embarrassment to the armed forces and should be ?quietly faded out? from his honorary military appointments, sources in the services have said.

Senior current and former personnel in the navy and army, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told The Times that Prince Andrew had become a source of derision among the ranks after his disastrous interview on Newsnight this month.

wannable

Boom the striping is going to happen. This guy is a disaster. Slow mo car crash since 30 years ago.

TLLK

With the announcement today regarding the Duke of York's military appointments being relinquished and his patronages from HM the Queen to be redistributed among the members of the family, this thread will be closed.  It will reopen when the news of which family members are to receive his patronages and military appointments in the future.