Duchess of Cambridge' tour wardrobe / fashion / style ,.etc

Started by Princessinwaiting, April 06, 2014, 02:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limabeany

Brace yourself, there is also the many faces of George, the many hairstyles of Kate...  :orchid:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

cinrit

Quote from: SophieChloe on April 27, 2014, 10:00:13 PM
Quote from: cinrit on April 27, 2014, 09:05:47 PM
It's been discussed, I think in the New Zealand thread.  Her skirt flew up and we didn't see much of anything. :shrug: The skirt of one of the women who welcomed her at the plane also flew up, but in th e back.

Cindy
Who cares about that lady?  She was not part of the royal PR tour.   

None of us particularly care about her, but it just shows that it can, and does, happen to people who don't expect it to happen, and that the media is just as happy to show both.  I doubt either the lady or Kate dressed that day with the intention of letting the wind lift their skirts.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

SophieChloe

The cameras were not waiting for that lady...!  They were waiting for Kate. and she and the wind, made a right old pigs ear of it.   
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

PrincessOfPeace

A wide ranging interview so I just quoted the bit on the Duchess of Cambridge

QuoteEnglish born and bred, Bowles moved to New York in the 90s, accepting Anna's job offer at US Vogue. "The street style is livelier in London", he tells me, "There seems to be a lot of young designer energy there. It's more like Brooklyn than NYC. But I'm also very excited by the Upper East Side groomed fashion that you see here". He does explain, however, how over the years the differences between the two cities have somewhat eroded, making them more similar in terms of fashion style. I ask his opinion of the Duchess of Cambridge: "Kate Middleton's style is absolutely appropriate in every way and thoughtfully considered".
Interview: Hamish Bowles - Cherwell - Oxford's Independent Student Newspaper

Limabeany

Like he is going to say anything else?  :happy15:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

TLLK

Quote from: Limabeany on April 27, 2014, 11:21:36 PM
Like he is going to say anything else?  :happy15:
He could say that he found her clothing not to his taste or inappropriate, but he didn't. Not everyone in the fashion world has been a fan of her taste and I'd expect them to give an honest appraisal.

Limabeany

Nah, they are careful about her... Her style is not awful but it certainly isn't to die for...  :shrug:

cinrit

Quote from: Limabeany on April 28, 2014, 05:32:47 AM
Nah, they are careful about her... Her style is not awful but it certainly isn't to die for...  :shrug:   

But there have been designers who have voiced their dissatisfaction with her style.  If we believe they're sincere, why not believe those who appreciate her style?

Cindy

Limabeany

Quote from: cinrit on April 28, 2014, 10:43:42 AM

But there have been designers who have voiced their dissatisfaction with her style.  If we believe they're sincere, why not believe those who appreciate her style?

Cindy
First, you have read Vogue, no? Do you really think that is a magazine whose editor would be enamoured with Kate's style?  :happy15: Second, Anna Wintour had been campaigning to get Kate Middleton on the cover, that was all over the news. Third, have you seen his own clothes?? Fourth, no one who thinks they have a chance of her picking their clothes or choosing them for a photoshoot would criticize her style, those who do, do it very carefully as a whisper almost and more as a suggestion of what she should try... No one really dares...  :teehee:

cinrit

I'm not sure what your point is, but my point is why is it when a designer appreciates Kate's style, he/she isn't going to say anything else and has to be careful with her and no one really dares...?  But when a designer doesn't like Kate's style and says so, he/she is just stating an opinion?  IMO, we either believe or disbelieve that both are sincere.

Cindy

Limabeany

No one in the fashion industry criticizes Kate openly unless they have no chance of her using their clothes, media, fashion designers and fashion editors tread very, very carefully with Kate...  :shrug:

cinrit

There have been at least two, maybe three, designers who have made negative comments about Kate's style.  They've all been posted here and discussed, the general consensus being that they have a right to state their opinion.  I'll check the style threads; maybe the discussions are in there.

ETA ...  Okay, here's just one (those Kate fashion threads are humongous!!), Post # 13:
The Kate Effect; Hair, Fashion & Beyond, Part 4

The article was this: VIDEO - Giles Deacon: Kate Middleton Dresses Too 'Mumsy' - Celebrity News, Hollywood Gossip & Photos, Movie Reviews, Competitions - Entertainmentwise
with the subtitle: The fashion designer gets his claws out

Cindy

Lady Adams

^Cindy, I'm not sure which designer was criticizing Kate in that thread. (Surely we aren't truly counting the Kardashians as designers! :hide: )
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Limabeany

This is criticism?  :hmm:   ;) 

Our Entertainmentwise presenter Georgie Barrat asked Giles what he would dress Kate Middleton in, with the designer replying without hesitation.

He quipped: ''I would dress her in something not quite so mumsy.'' Meow!

And when we prodded him as to what he meant by that remark, Giles went red faced and tempted to shuffle the conversation on, "Let's move on..." he said.

cinrit

^^ That was the first one I found, Limabeany.  There are others, but I don't have the time to root around the forum trying to find them.  They're posted here, and were discussed at length. 

Lady Adams, I've never heard of him, but the designer's name was Giles Deacon.  His comments, from the article:

"He was in the same fashion class as Alexander McQueen in Central St Martins, so it’s no wonder that British designer Giles Deacon is yearning for his much deserved royal seal of approval from Kate Middleton."

He then went on:

"He quipped: ‘’I would dress her in something not quite so mumsy.’’ Meow!

And when we prodded him as to what he meant by that remark, Giles went red faced and tempted to shuffle the conversation on, "Let’s move on…" he said."

The article then goes on to tell Giles Deacon to "put the claws away".

There have been other designers who've stated their dissatisfaction with Kate's style, but that was the one I found first.

Cindy

Limabeany

Cindy, you know very well, that is as far as anyone would go and the paper told him to put his claws out because they have anointed Kate a Saint and have to side with her fans in advance, that comment hardly merited telling him to put his claws in!

cinrit

I know very well that he wasn't praising her style, and that's what we're talking about.  Doesn't matter how the designer worded it, it was not praise, and how the journalist received the comments was up to him.  There have been designers who've made negative comments, and maybe it's best that those designers' remarks be forgotten, after all. ;)

Cindy

TLLK

She dresses in a similar manner as most royal ladies when they're on the job. Dresses, skirts, and on occasion pants are the typical uniform. Many wear designs by their domestic brands. The northern European royals and the Japanese tend to still require hats for some occasions. The Middle Eastern royals and the Spanish have mostly given them up.

It's safe and predictable fashion as a rule.

SophieChloe

Quote from: TLLK on April 28, 2014, 06:45:43 PM

She dresses in a similar manner as most royal ladies when they're on the job.
Eh?  Skin tight jeans.....and clodhopper shoes..... :hmm:  I've never seen a royal lady dressed like that. 

TLLK

^ Try the Princess of Asturias' threads at some of the other forums. Her platform shoes are legendary. Tight jeans are pretty common on royal ladies at the Summer Olympics.

cinrit

SophieChloe

Quote from: TLLK on April 28, 2014, 07:10:26 PM
Quote from: SophieChloe on April 28, 2014, 06:57:21 PM
Quote from: TLLK on April 28, 2014, 06:45:43 PM

She dresses in a similar manner as most royal ladies when they're on the job.
Eh?  Skin tight jeans.....and clodhopper shoes..... :hmm:  I've never seen a royal lady dressed like that. 
Try the Princess of Asturias' threads at some of the other forums. Her platform shoes are legendary. Tight jeans are pretty common on royal ladies at the Summer Olympics.
She was not at the Summer Olympics, she was on a Royal Tour - representing the Queen and Country  :shrug:

Thanks for the links, Cindy....she, too, looks cheap and nasty - IMO. 

TLLK

^ As were those representing their respective nations at the 2012 Olympics.

[mod]Please do not quote the entire post(s) above your own :hug:[/mod]