Beatrice and Eduardo's Wedding

Started by sara8150, November 30, 2019, 04:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

I've wondered if it was Edward's choice as well. However I have come to realize that while they certainly have had their bumps along the way, that the Wessexes seem to understand that just getting on with their duties and raising their families has kept them on a steady course. Also they've had the opportunity to view their nephews and nieces as they've grown and likely believe that opting for the lesser titles was the best course of action. With Louise and James further down in the line of succession, they'll likely face less scrutiny than the Wales brothers, the York princesses and something more like the coverage that the Phillips and Tindalls receive.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on December 23, 2019, 05:11:56 PM
I've wondered if it was Edward's choice as well. However I have come to realize that while they certainly have had their bumps along the way, that the Wessexes seem to understand that just getting on with their duties and raising their families has kept them on a steady course. Also they've had the opportunity to view their nephews and nieces as they've grown and likely believe that opting for the lesser titles was the best course of action. With Louise and James further down in the line of succession, they'll likely face less scrutiny than the Wales brothers, the York princesses and something more like the coverage that the Phillips and Tindalls receive.
I do wonder.. what the exact truth was.  Did Edward actually ask for his title to be an earldom or was it decided that if he was to be Duke of Edinb. they didn't want him to have 2 dukedoms..  THer are rumours out there that Edward chose that actual title because he heard it in the Shakespeare in Love film.. but good Lord surely Edw knows  a bit about his family history!!?
He didn't have to wait for the film to hear about that title.
I think that possibly Ed and Sophie DID ask for the children not to be HRH.. perhaps they felt that as their future children would b well down in the succession, it would be more appropriate for them just to be Viscount and Lady..and that it might go down better with the public as well for them not to be Prince and princess..

Curryong

Quote from: amabel on December 23, 2019, 06:04:11 PM
I do wonder.. what the exact truth was.  Did Edward actually ask for his title to be an earldom or was it decided that if he was to be Duke of Edinb. they didn't want him to have 2 dukedoms..  THer are rumours out there that Edward chose that actual title because he heard it in the Shakespeare in Love film.. but good Lord surely Edw knows  a bit about his family history!!?
He didn't have to wait for the film to hear about that title.
I think that possibly Ed and Sophie DID ask for the children not to be HRH.. perhaps they felt that as their future children would b well down in the succession, it would be more appropriate for them just to be Viscount and Lady..and that it might go down better with the public as well for them not to be Prince and princess..

I wonder too. I do think that Prince Philip wanted his title handed down to one son, and of course Andrew had the traditional one of York. If it went to Charles the dukedom would be subsumed back into the Crown and not be recreated again for the King.

However, when all this was done in the late 1990s I don't think that either Philip or the Queen dreamed that they would both  live as long as they have already, and remember it has to be given when Charles is King and Philip is dead as well.

Of course Queen Mary and notably the QM lived to great ages, but I don't believe that either of Edward's parents thought their son would be still waiting for his Dukedom when he was well into his fifties. He is also the only Earl in the senior ranks of the RF and has seen his much younger nephews receive the higher rank. I believe that's why Edward was given the second Earldom only recently. A sort of consolation prize!

As for their children I do think the couple took the pragmatic approach. Edward was well down the totem poll when he married, with the Wales and York children before him in the succession, so it made sense for his children not to be HRHs. Of course Louis will be a Duke in his turn as will his eldest son and so on, so his line won't exactly blend into the general population!

I don't think many of the BRF are genuine history buffs, and IMO Edward just liked the sound of the word Wessex when it was suggested. Probably Cambridge, Sussex etc didn't appeal, and he just liked the film and was told about the ancient Wessex Kings. Edward may be nearer sixty when he actually becomes a Duke, but he'll get there in the end!

amabel

I find it hard to believe that the queen agreed to a title because "Edward heard it in a film".  I would imagine that she didn't want him to have a double dukedom..and "Earl of Wessex" was an ancient Saxon title. It was probaby suggested by an adviser.. I HOPE that she didn't have Ed saying "Mum I heard it in a really fun film.. please I want to be Earl of Wessex..." 
According to some thigns I've read from posters, on other forums, Edward also was the one who wanted to be an Earl rather than a DUke.. But I can't help feeling it was the queens Idea

sandy

THere is probably a list of titles at the QUeen's disposal. She perhaps herself decided on Wessex for Edward.

TLLK

The Windsor Titles ? Earl of Wessex and Earl of Forfar ? Royal Central

QuoteWhen Prince Edward, the youngest child of The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, married Sophie Rhys-Jones in June 1999, it was expected that he would be bestowed with a dukedom, as is customary for the son of a monarch on the occasion of marriage. It was instead announced that the Prince would become the Earl of Wessex and Viscount Severn, and his new bride would be known as HRH the Countess of Wessex.

It had been suggested before the marriage that the Prince would be created as a duke of either Cambridge or Sussex, titles that were later bestowed on his nephews, Prince William and Prince Harry respectively. The Prince chose to accept an earldom and is the third royal to hold the title of Earl of Wessex.

An earldom is the third rank of the British peerage system, below that of a Duke and Marquess, but considered higher than a Viscount and Baron. Since the reign of King Richard II, earldoms were either inherited directly from their previous holders or were as a result of life creations. The area of Wessex, in the south west of England, had previously been an Anglo-Saxon kingdom.

The first Earl of Wessex was Godwin, who was bestowed the title around 1020 and was considered to be one of the most powerful earls in England. On his death in 1053, the title passed to his son, who would later become King Harold II. After the Battle of Hastings in 1066 in which King Harold died, the earldom was given by the new King William, to William FitzOsbern, who was a trusted and close aide of the King. By the time the earldom was passed to FitzOsbern?s son in 1071, the earldom was no longer that of Wessex, but of Hereford, a smaller regional area.

In 1999, prior to the wedding of Prince Edward and Sophie Rhys-Jones, it was announced that the Prince would, in the future, become the Duke of Edinburgh; so on the occasion of their marriage, he was instead bestowed the title of Earl of Wessex and Viscount Severn.

amabel

Quote from: sandy on December 24, 2019, 12:07:01 AM
THere is probably a list of titles at the QUeen's disposal. She perhaps herself decided on Wessex for Edward.
As I've said some posters have said that it was Edwards choice and he heard it in Shakespeare in love...
It was an unusual title, certainly.. a bit of a one off for the queen as she tends to be very conventional..

Double post auto-merged: December 24, 2019, 05:33:50 PM

Quote from: Curryong on December 23, 2019, 10:18:05 PM
I wonder too. I do think that Prince Philip wanted his title handed down to one son, and of course Andrew had the traditional one of York. If it went to Charles the dukedom would be subsumed back into the Crown and not be recreated again for the King.

However, when all this was done in the late 1990s I don't think that either Philip or the Queen dreamed that they would both  live as long as they have already, and remember it has to be given when Charles is King and Philip is dead as well.

Of course Queen Mary and notably the QM lived to great ages, but I don't believe that either of Edward's parents thought their son would be still waiting for his Dukedom when he was well into his fifties. He is also the only Earl in the senior ranks of the RF and has seen his much younger nephews receive the higher rank. I believe that's why Edward was given the second Earldom only recently. A sort of consolation prize!

As for their children I do think the couple took the pragmatic approach. Edward was well down the totem poll when he married, with the Wales and York children before him in the succession, so it made sense for his children not to be HRHs. Of course Louis will be a Duke in his turn as will his eldest son and so on, so his line won't exactly blend into the general population!

I don't think many of the BRF are genuine history buffs, and IMO Edward just liked the sound of the word Wessex when it was suggested. Probably Cambridge, Sussex etc didn't appeal, and he just liked the film and was told about the ancient Wessex Kings. Edward may be nearer sixty when he actually becomes a Duke, but he'll get there in the end!
I also wonder whose idea it was? I think the queen wanted him to have the Dukedom, and perhaps she figured that if he was given  an earldom, it would also look good ot the public.. which is why he had that simpler wedding at Windsor etc to signify that she was cutting back on the grandeur.  I think Ed might have suggested the children not having the HRH.. because it would look good.. I kind of feel the quen might have been the follower on that part of the arrangement.. that she would have expected that even if Edward was an Earl his children still had te right to be Prince and Princess.. but that Ed maybe felt that their chances of the throne were non existent and their life would be simpler if they were just Viscoutn and Lady..

sara8150

LouisFerdinand

Quote from: sara8150 on December 30, 2019, 05:20:48 AM
Planning under way as Princess Beatrice prepares to tie the knot - ITV News
No wedding date yet till confirmation from Palace and Yorks kept zip it 🤐🤫

York Minster was mentioned as a possible wedding site. However, I realize this may not be a reality. However, these writers can speculate.

wannable

Her ex Dave Clark and wife were transferred (work) to London.  Will he get an invitation to the wedding?  :teehee:

sandy

Dave Clark treated Bea very badly I don't think he's among the "in" crowd.

amabel

Quote from: sandy on January 04, 2020, 01:30:30 AM
Dave Clark treated Bea very badly I don't think he's among the "in" crowd.
how did he treat her badly? they were together for several years.  It didn't work out and they split up.

Double post auto-merged: January 04, 2020, 09:40:42 AM

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on December 31, 2019, 12:18:22 AM

York Minster was mentioned as a possible wedding site. However, I realize this may not be a reality. However, these writers can speculate.
why would they marry in York?  They wil I hope get married privately in one of the Royal chapels with no publicty for the wedding...

sandy

He ditched her and quickly married someone else.He broke up with her.

I don't think it was a real joyous moment in her life.

amabel

Quote from: sandy on January 04, 2020, 12:49:04 PM

if he had fallen out of love with her what was he supposed to do?  Isn't she better to be free ot be with someone who does love her?

sandy

He led her on. If he had any inkling he should have ended things sooner. I think he got some mileage out of dating her. She clearly adored him.

Curryong

In my opinion Dave Clark was a user. He dated Beatrice for all those years as it was no doubt very handy to have a Princess on your arm when you are schmoozing wealthy clients for Branson enterprises. However, as soon as he got another job for Uber in the US he dropped her like a hot potato. I never really liked Dave's demeanour in those last years when he was being photographed, the smarmy smiles at the camera every time a photographer hoved into view for instance.

dianab

Quote from: sandy on January 04, 2020, 12:49:04 PM

iirc i read somewhere else he dated his wife for 2 years before getting married. it's not like their relationship and wedding happened within 6 months

amabel

Quote from: Curryong on January 04, 2020, 01:22:30 PM
In my opinion Dave Clark was a user. He dated Beatrice for all those years as it was no doubt very handy to have a Princess on your arm when you are schmoozing wealthy clients for Branson enterprises. However, as soon as he got another job for Uber in the US he dropped her like a hot potato. I never really liked Dave's demeanour in those last years when he was being photographed, the smarmy smiles at the camera every time a photographer hoved into view for instance.
What about Edo?  Seems to me he jumped In there having dropped his girlfriend who si the mother of his baby...

sandy

Quote from: dianab on January 04, 2020, 01:23:26 PM
iirc i read somewhere else he dated his wife for 2 years before getting married. it's not like their relationship and wedding happened within 6 months

There must have been an overlap. But he made a statement to Bea, he did not make his now wife wait that long. He decided to marry her and did not have her wait for years.

dianab

he and bea start dating aged 18 or 19, right? they were 'doomed' to have a long relationship... getting married aged 23 or 24 will be silly and completely immature of them imo... 25 also is rather young get married imo

27 and 28 are good ages to get married and start a family if it's what people really want for them at that age

sandy

If he knew he did not love her or was not going to settle down with her he should have broken up sooner. I don't think he "decided" all of a sudden he did not want to settle down with her, I think he already knew it.

Curryong

Well, no doubt no TV cameras will be a great relief to Beatrice. I've always felt that all she's ever wanted is to have a nice private wedding with all her family and friends around her. That can be achieved without all the hoopla of dozens of tabloid journalists and photographers hanging about like bad smells, carriage rides requiring huge security and her father's 'regiment' being dragged away from their duties to go marching through the streets of Windsor. If Andrew's disappointed-- hard cheddar. He's  only got himself to blame.

Double post auto-merged: January 05, 2020, 05:36:51 AM

Dave Clark was described as being 34 in 2019 which speaks to a birthdate of 1985. Therefore he was 21 and Beatrice 18 when they began dating in 2006. The news of the split came in Sept 2016, but must have been kept quiet for some time. Clark married in July 2018. Therefore the dating of his now wife must have begun before or immediately after the split with Beatrice.

The Daily Beast and the rumours about the split at the time in a 2016 article, which I believe, actually.

Why Did Princess Beatrice, Fergie?s Daughter, Break Up With Dave Clark?

TLLK

@Curryong-I agree. There could be a few assigned photographers and a few photos of the event shared afterwards.  :happy:

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on January 05, 2020, 02:23:35 PM
@Curryong-I agree. There could be a few assigned photographers and a few photos of the event shared afterwards.  :happy:
can't see that any of it is necessary.  OK  a year ago, maybe but the sad fact is that Andrew's behaviour has put a blight on his family including the innocent ones.  I would say that if Bea has any sense (and Im not sure she has) she would knw that it Is much for the best that she has the quietest most private wedding possible.. and I don't think she has that many fans that will be bothered by a lack of photos..