Diana strict with her children

Started by Curryong, September 10, 2019, 10:56:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Quotethink with upper class families it depended on money.  THe ones like the Spencers who had managed to remain well to do, would still have a fairly large staff and a couple of nannies. I don't know much about the other royal families - in Europe.  But I think Margo wasn't the fussing around mother type so she left the children to nannies and the queen was not always maternal either so she did the saeme.  Di had always loved children and had been a nanny herself.. so it was always on the cards that she'd be a very hands on mohter

Good point. With the other royal families, it depended on the individual with Sonja of Norway being the crown princess being very hands on, but Margrethe who became queen early on in her marriage was less so.

amabel

Quote from: sandy on September 16, 2019, 01:42:10 PM
I think it does make a difference amabel, because royal mothers traditionally had wet nurses. Alice probably had a nanny for her children but she still spent time in the nursery with them (something royal mothers did not do much and which also bothered Victoria).

Victoria wrote about the "terrible things" that happened in the nursery and could not believe her daughters would spend time there with the children.
what terrile things??  what on earth was so terrible in a royal nursery that she could not want her daughters to spend time in them?? 

sandy

I am just reporting what Victoria said in her letters. There is a book with letters to her daughters that I read, it is quite interesting. Victoria also said babies were like "plants" and "uninteresting."

amabel

Quote from: sandy on September 16, 2019, 02:20:53 PM
I am just reporting what Victoria said in her letters. There is a book with letters to her daughters that I read, it is quite interesting. Victoria also said babies were like "plants" and "uninteresting."
Yes but what was so terrible about a royal nursery?  Babies screaming? Toddlers fighting?  Albert and Victoria were in any case parents who were strict but attentive to their children so I find it hard to believe that she could not bear the thought of her daugthers visiting their children in the nursery.  she was repelled by breast feeding.. true and she thought that babies weren't vey pretty...But I can't believe that she didn't expect a certain amount of nursery visiting from her daughters to their children

Double post auto-merged: September 16, 2019, 02:25:16 PM

Quote from: TLLK on September 16, 2019, 02:10:10 PM
Good point. With the other royal families, it depended on the individual with Sonja of Norway being the crown princess being very hands on, but Margrethe who became queen early on in her marriage was less so.
I don't know much about Margrethe but she seems a very "intellectual" type by royal standards and was probably busier with her royal work when her children were small..

TLLK

Yes she was but even Margrethe has mentioned that she really wasn't the maternal type and left the majority of those tasks to staff.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on September 16, 2019, 02:29:33 PM
Yes she was but even Margrethe has mentioned that she really wasn't the maternal type and left the majority of those tasks to staff.
I sort of felt with the little I know of Marg that she was like that.