Should Trump be invited IF there is indeed a wedding for Harry and Meghan?

Started by Yale, January 05, 2017, 02:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yale

A news article that I read weeks before Christmas suggested that this would be one of his first official appearances as President  of the US if he is invited.  Personally, I don't think he deserves an invite under a special circumstance.  He should not be allowed to darken a day of joy just to make himself look good.  Meghan may not want him there. But that might be the Queen's call.

But what's required for royal protocol?  I am just curious.

TLLK

Typically only the Heads of State that are royalty, the Prime Ministers and/or the Governors General of Commonwealth nations would be invited to a royal wedding for someone who is not the direct heir-to-the-throne. (Charles' 1981 wedding to Diana was a much larger event as he was the heir.) The POTUS doesn't fit into those category so Mr. Trump is very unlikely to be on the guest list. Harry's wedding might be similar to William's or it might be a smaller,  more private one like his uncle Edward's.

List of wedding guests of Prince William and Catherine Middleton - Wikipedia

Above is the guest list from William's wedding to give you an idea of who might be invited.

Double post auto-merged: January 05, 2017, 03:19:19 AM

AFAIK the last POTUS to receive an invitation to a British royal wedding would have been Ronald Reagan in 1981 because Charles was the heir. Nancy Reagan attended in lieu of her husband.

Yale

Well because it's Meghan and she is American etc and Harry is quite the most popular royal even over William, their wedding will televised and so heads of state my be invited?

Duch_Luver_4ever

yeah @TLLK I was thinking of the Reagans when I saw the question, Nancy also stood in for him at Princess Grace's funeral, alongside Diana. as an aside when Nancy died, it broke my heart seeing the pic of the four of them at the white house and realizing only charles was left alive from ppl in that pic.

Idk about all the royal protocol and such, but it would be a nice gesture after the UK lost their $hit and was so stupid to suggest they'd bar him from entering the UK. Its time for the snowflakes to put down their binkies and bottles, get over their crying SJW fits, and join the real world. 'Sides im sure he'd send Ivanka or Melania, he'll be too busy over here making America great again.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Curryong

^ I'll have to search and see whether there is a guest list still around for Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson's wedding, as, IMHO, that is more likely to give some kind of indication as to foreign guests, VIPs and so forth.

Of course BRF royal weddings in general were much more grand affairs in the 1980s than they would be now, and Prince Charles's and Diana's was very grand indeed. It was a State wedding, the first POW to be married in 120 odd years.

AFAIR William's and Kate's was a semi-state affair, replete with Commonwealth heads, Commonwealth and European royalty (tending to be more the Crown Princes/Princesses, and spouses) but still important, as William is a future King. I don't think the US President was invited to either Andrew's or William's. I think Ronald Reagan was unwell and Nancy deputised at Charles's nuptials.

Harry is popular and I think his wedding will certainly be televised. Many would be disappointed if it isn't, whoever he marries. However, I do not believe it will be on the scale of his brother's. If he and his bride want to have a smallish affair it might be at St George's Windsor. If it is the Abbey then I believe there may be some royalty represented, the Greeks, Yogoslavs, the Prince of Lesotho, Philip's German side of the family, perhaps the Norwegians as they are close to the BRF etc.

The Abbey might well have some Commonwealth reps, not necessarily, Governors, PMs etc, though. There will be H's charities represented, and probably quite a few wounded vets. However, as I've said, Harry is not going to be a king. Therefore, IMO, any heads of state that might be there are likely to be ex HOS that he knows, like the Obamas, rather than serving ones like Donald Trump..

Found it. Guest list below.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_of_Prince_Andrew,_Duke_of_York,_and_Sarah_Ferguson

michelle0187

royalanthropologist

I would be very surprised if such an invitation was ever extended to Trump. The guy is volatile and even a state dinner with him is going to tax all the queen's diplomatic skills. Anyway you never know; I heard that Trump was an early Camilla fan and has been a generous donor to the Prince's Trust so maybe the C&C will return the favor.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Yale

Quote from: michelle0187 on January 05, 2017, 04:30:29 AM
Doesn't she hate trump and threatened to move from the US?

Yes, and yes! I threatened to move to Spain, my favorite place. So I agree with Meghan 100%

wannable

If Harry's marriage is during Elizabeth's reign, as a grandchild and 5th in line, then no, the POTUS will not be invited, as the wedding will be small affair.

If its during Charles reign, as direct son solely because of this, his wedding will be a Junior royal wedding, but I don't think the POTUS will be invited.

TLLK

Quote from: Yale on January 05, 2017, 03:35:56 AM
Well because it's Meghan and she is American etc and Harry is quite the most popular royal even over William, their wedding will televised and so heads of state my be invited?
As popular as Harry is that isn't likely to change the guestlist because that will be driven by protocol and recent history. It would definitely be televised in the UK and very likely the US and other nations. @Curryong has shared the list from Andrew's wedding so that is a good indication of which foreign representatives would possibly be invited. It's more likely to be limited to Commonwealth representatives rather than those from the U.S., Japan, Germany etc...Royal heads of state are a different story because the Windsors are distantly related in some way to most of the European reigning and non-reigning royal families.

So the short answer is televised-yes. Trump as a guest-no. :)

Double post auto-merged: January 05, 2017, 03:10:39 PM

Quote from: Curryong on January 05, 2017, 04:29:43 AM
^ I'll have to search and see whether there is a guest list still around for Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson's wedding, as, IMHO, that is more likely to give some kind of indication as to foreign guests, VIPs and so forth.

Of course BRF royal weddings in general were much more grand affairs in the 1980s than they would be now, and Prince Charles's and Diana's was very grand indeed. It was a State wedding, the first POW to be married in 120 odd years.

AFAIR William's and Kate's was a semi-state affair, replete with Commonwealth heads, Commonwealth and European royalty (tending to be more the Crown Princes/Princesses, and spouses) but still important, as William is a future King. I don't think the US President was invited to either Andrew's or William's. I think Ronald Reagan was unwell and Nancy deputised at Charles's nuptials.

Harry is popular and I think his wedding will certainly be televised. Many would be disappointed if it isn't, whoever he marries. However, I do not believe it will be on the scale of his brother's. If he and his bride want to have a smallish affair it might be at St George's Windsor. If it is the Abbey then I believe there may be some royalty represented, the Greeks, Yogoslavs, the Prince of Lesotho, Philip's German side of the family, perhaps the Norwegians as they are close to the BRF etc.

The Abbey might well have some Commonwealth reps, not necessarily, Governors, PMs etc, though. There will be H's charities represented, and probably quite a few wounded vets. However, as I've said, Harry is not going to be a king. Therefore, IMO, any heads of state that might be there are likely to be ex HOS that he knows, like the Obamas, rather than serving ones like Donald Trump..

Found it. Guest list below.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_of_Prince_Andrew,_Duke_of_York,_and_Sarah_Ferguson
Thank you for doing the research on Andrew and Sarah's guestlist @Curryong.  :thumbsup:

Double post auto-merged: January 05, 2017, 03:13:17 PM

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on January 05, 2017, 04:00:55 AM
yeah @TLLK I was thinking of the Reagans when I saw the question, Nancy also stood in for him at Princess Grace's funeral, alongside Diana. as an aside when Nancy died, it broke my heart seeing the pic of the four of them at the white house and realizing only charles was left alive from ppl in that pic.

Idk about all the royal protocol and such, but it would be a nice gesture after the UK lost their $hit and was so stupid to suggest they'd bar him from entering the UK. Its time for the snowflakes to put down their binkies and bottles, get over their crying SJW fits, and join the real world. 'Sides im sure he'd send Ivanka or Melania, he'll be too busy over here making America great again.
@Duch_Luver_4ever -I'd forgotten about Nancy being at Grace's funeral with Diana. Thank you for the reminder. As for Trump, I think protocol will determine the guestlist for Harry's wedding in the future. The venue will also determine how many can attend so if it's the Abbey there could be more guests than St. George's.

psm

Nobody's talking about the fact that MM is a divorcee and if they do get married, this would be her second marriage. Traditionally second weddings are more low-key and the bride does not even wear a traditional wedding gown, instead wears a formal dress or a suit. I actually favour that opinion.

Both Pricess Anne and Camilla followed that tradition and if it is indeed a tradition, and if PH proposes, I do not see the BRF approving a big scale wedding with a princess gown and tiara, but a more low-key and formal affair, again in my opinion as it should be. In fact if they do go the big wedding way, it would reinforce many people's opinion of MM as a fame and status seeking person and raise questions as to what she said yes to, the man she loves or the prince.

Yale

Quote from: royalanthropologist on January 05, 2017, 05:32:50 AM
I would be very surprised if such an invitation was ever extended to Trump. The guy is volatile and even a state dinner with him is going to tax all the queen's diplomatic skills. Anyway you never know; I heard that Trump was an early Camilla fan and has been a generous donor to the Prince's Trust so maybe the C&C will return the favor.

Trump is so self absorbed, he'd probably starting insulting the couple on Twitter for not getting an invite.

royalanthropologist

Quote from: Yale on January 05, 2017, 04:11:25 PM
Quote from: royalanthropologist on January 05, 2017, 05:32:50 AM

Trump is so self absorbed, he'd probably starting insulting the couple on Twitter for not getting an invite.
That would be pure Trump. :lol: And I would not be surprised if they got a torrent of Twitter abuse for not inviting the greatest president ever.  :teehee:
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

michelle0187

^^ yeah I totally see trump and his crazed worshippers going full crazy on twitter, threatening to boycott england. And if they did get married with trump as a guest, it would be pr suicide.

Yale

Well, it's Meghan's wedding if she doesn't want him there, that is her right and choice if it is up to her that is.

TLLK

However if Hillary Clinton had been elected as POTUS it's also very unlikely that she'd have received an invitation either as a smaller scale wedding like Harry's is likely to be would not see foreign elected HoS on the guest  list.

QuoteWell, it's Meghan's wedding if she doesn't want him there, that is her right and choice if it is up to her that is.
The couple would  get some say in creating the guest list but have to share some of it with the monarch and others. If Meghan were to marry Harry now they'd have to invite the current Prime Minister even if they were not fans of that person.

FanDianaFancy

I assume my dear here are youngins. :hehe:Pres.Reagan was well when PC married Diana. Nancy went with her best  friend , Betsy Bloomingdale. I remember Nancy's leache dress ,top, skirt and hat. It looked like a two piece in one dress style.
1980s was  the excessive decade.

As aPOTUS , of course, Reagan was invited . he was a head of state of a friendly country.

If I am not mistaken, POTUS was invited by respect again to Andrew and Sarah's. It was over the top and very much as much as the heir PCs.

I am on my tablet and cannot cut and paste.

MM and PH would have some say over  guest of who they would like to invite as did PW and K- ex. store owners from Bucklebury. No, they would not have a say over who is invited   as in heads of state, crowned heads, etc.

Lastly, if he marries her , and I mean nothing against her, but  PH is not the heir. These are not the 1980s.  I would think  PH would have a wedding not grand like PH. Yet he is the face of the next BRF as in he will be the son of the King. The BRF of the future will be Charles and his two sons, their wives and children.
Wait. Bea and Eug do not seem to be rushing to get married. Andrew  :royalsneeze: and Sarah would demand nothing less than a weeding to be like theirs for their girls or to rival that of PW and K.
Greedy Yorks? A wedding like Zara's for the Princesses...no way!!!!!

It will be interesting to see when ,if PH gets married on how it will be.I think he is marrying soon and of course, to MM.

Double post auto-merged: January 08, 2017, 08:24:06 AM

Yes. Nancy Reagan was at Andrew andSarahs wedding.

No. The Obamas were not at PW and K s wedding, no invite.

Curryong

^ On March 30th 1981 there was an assassination attempt on (the new) President Reagan's life. He was quite an elderly man and he was shot, spending a long time recovering and in convalescence.

I very much remember Charles and Diana's wedding, including the official explanation at the time that President Reagan was still not quite recovered from his bullet wound, and the speculation by the US press that he, as a new president, didn't really want his first journey abroad to be a social one to a royal wedding.

Anyway, Nancy was his representative. I can remember that she was apparently a bit disconcerted that her seat at St Paul's was some way back, behind the rows of foreign royalty invited.

TLLK

Yale

TLLK

@Yale-The conversation ventured into which POTUS had been invited to British royal weddings. Nancy Reagan attended the PoW and Lady Diana's wedding on behalf of her husband who was recovering from his assassination attempt. She was later invited to the wedding of Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson.

FanDianaFancy

Thanks TLLK.

Like  said, it was the 1980's.  Keep that n mind. Like  psm said, this wuld be MM's second marriage.

Protocol, good taste, ehhh, a second marriage  for  her with  wreath  and  veil  and in  long flowing white,....

I  thught that  for Kate the  covered  lieft the veil up  ...ummm, hun, that veil was lifted  by  Wills a  longggggggg  time ago.  :hehe:

Wait. Even in  my real life, I  have seen some women go  with that and others  omit  it whatever the reason.
I have seen some women, first marriage, young marriage,  etc. omit that. Others do.

To each their own.

I  think it  is too dramamtic..lift the veil...wreath...come on.

Since this is not the 1980's,  MM's second  marriage,  PH's first marriage, PH's rank which  is 5th  and  he being the grandson of the Sovereign and  not the son,  I  would think  MM and PH  would have a wedding  low key  like  C and  PC,  Zara,  Sophie and Edward.

I  think it would be better for the country, more  easily  for people to  digest  something more low key.  Maybe not as  small like PC an C  but  between that  and  PK and PW.
How big it is depends on the guest list too.

I posted way  back  that  if, when it seems, Eug and Bea  get married, how  will it be?  Andrew and Sarah  would DEMAND  :windsor:and ACCEPT NOTHING :duel: less than  a  wedding to rival  PW's.  Talking Westminster Abbey,  the works. Streets  closing. BPalace  reception, balcony...and more. EVERYTHING!!!!!!  :coach:   Holiday as  in a  non work day  people.

I  think that would be  a battle  and   a no -go  by  HRH.  I guess she is ok  she does not have to face that battle YET.  Eug and Bea  seem to be taking their time.

It seemed  , it could have been  PH, Eug, Bea   all getting married  after PW  within these last 4 years.

Kate

Wow!  We are talking about "their" wedding already.
Trump was voted into office "by the people" of the United States. He is certainly a diamond in the rough, but he will have a group of advisors, hopefully , steering him in the right direction on governing the country.  IMO, I cannot see Her Majesty ignoring Trump and the position he holds. Love him or hate him, he is a fact.  Regarding "a wedding"... We have yet to see a photo of the couple as a couple and I am hoping that this romance will fade. Had she been a secretary for IBM, or a school teacher... but actresses love the limelight , they love publicity, be it good publicity or bad publicity (it's still her name out there in print or film).  Just how do we know that William has met this girl or that Kate has met this girl. Who is the source confirming these meetings? AND still no photos.  I hope Harry enjoys the relationship for awhile... but I hope the relationship , will fade,as I've said before.

Yale

Trump doesn't deserve an invite to their wedding! His presence would darken it.