Swedish Royal Family General News and Discussion

Started by Kritter, March 09, 2018, 09:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

And they are lovely, though I understand Madelaine and Chris's four year old Eleanor had a good time rolling about on the floor and taking her shoes off and playing up a bit because she was bored.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on June 11, 2018, 04:28:24 PM
And they are lovely, though I understand Madelaine and Chris's four year old Eleanor had a good time rolling about on the floor and taking her shoes off and playing up a bit because she was bored.

Reminds me of when the children of W-A/Maxima and Constantijn/Laurentian were acting up at Arianne's baptism. Kids were tossing pillows and crawling under the minister's robes. As I recall that the was last time I remember any of them acting up in public.  :P\\

video from Arianne's baptism

Baptism of princess Ariane - YouTube

Curryong

Kids!  :D I have to say though that the Dutch Royal kids, collectively, weren't seeming to behave THAT badly, just crawling around, while Leonor was prominent at her sister's christening in getting bored and seemingly acting up for absolutely ages. Her brother wasn't and cousins weren't.

Estelle, who might have been able to play quietly with her out of the way, unfortunately had to go home because she felt ill. Leonor's mother, arms full of baby, was seen looking agitated and reproving her a couple of times while dad Chris adopted the casual 'see no evil, hear no evil' approach!

While I do think that it's absolutely lovely that the Scandis include their small children in practically every family occasion this is the down side of it. While Leonor wasn't of course doing anything terribly wrong it is a bit distracting for others sitting there trying to follow the service.

Perhaps in future if it happens again, there could be prior arrangements made for someone she knows to quietly take Leonor (or any others) out into another room and allow her to romp about quietly with a couple of toys. At one stage I noticed Queen Silvia with a young grandson on her knee looking through a small children's book with him. All I can say is, she was lucky he was a placid kid as that sort of thing would have entertained my children for about three seconds flat!

If any more babies are born in the Swedish royal house and are needing to be baptised, there are going to be about four lively under five year olds possibly creating mayhem together. Perhaps time to re-think things?  The British royals adopt a strictly no little kids approach at formal functions, (with the exception of Trooping) and that's not great either. However, except for Savannah's attempting to silence George, and William at the Yorks' wedding, there aren't too many videos of that nature around to embarrass any little Windsors on their 21st birthdays!

amabel

I think it is a very good idea to keep little children out of the public eye as much as possible. I noticed that Meg's (far too young) bridal attendants were all taken out immediately tey had wlaked her to the altar.  It looked silly IMO to use them for a cute picture and then get tehm away but it was probably best.  And from what Ive read on another forum Leonor was acting upa lot and I can't understand why Nanny wasn't deputed to take her out when she started..

Curryong

That is just awful. I hope that the thieves didn't steal the Crown Jewels 'on order' for some greedy private collector. If they did, then there may be a possibility of them being smuggled abroad and becoming virtually untraceable. Hope the police find the thieves.

sara8150

amabel

Quote from: Curryong on August 01, 2018, 02:52:41 AM
That is just awful. I hope that the thieves didn't steal the Crown Jewels 'on order' for some greedy private collector. If they did, then there may be a possibility of them being smuggled abroad and becoming virtually untraceable. Hope the police find the thieves.
I would imagine they did.  They're not goig to steal them without a buyer.....

Curryong

However they could be a group of amateurs as well. On another forum this robbery was discussed and a poster remembered an ancient and valuable Danish hunting horn that was stolen a few years ago simply because the thieves coveted it for themselves.

Also, odd though it is, thieves do steal valuable very old objects for their metal value, get a crooked fence to melt down the gold, prise out the jewels etc, and sell it all on the black market. Awful though that is to contemplate, some criminals may well be desperate enough for cash to do something like that, meaning that a portion of Sweden's history may be already destroyed. We just don't know what these people's motivations are.

sara8150

This royal just announced she is retiring from official duties

QuoteBeing a member of the royal family has many perks, but also comes with a lot of responsibility. Just like any other job, there is a time when those undertaking royal duties wish to retire like everyone else, with Prince Philip doing just that in May 2017. Now, the latest royal to take a step back for a well-earned rest is Princess Christina, also known as Mrs Magnusson, the younger sister of King Carl Gustav of Sweden. The 74-year-old announced the news on Wednesday to Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter (DN). She told the publication: "I don't want to be tied down by a lot of things in the future, but enjoy what I have and those I have around me."

Christina's retirement follows after she was diagnosed with chronic leukaemia in 2016. The royal underwent treatment that didn't work initially, before having a stem cell transplant in 2017, which proved successful. Christina had previously undergone treatment for breast cancer in 2010 ? including three surgeries ? but had beaten the disease. Christina has since spent a lot of time campaigning for cancer issues.

The princess, who is known as Christina Magnuson, is married to Tord G?sta Magnuson, and they have three sons together: Carl Gustaf Victor, Tord Oscar Frederik and Victor Edmund Lennart. She lost her title of Royal Highness upon her marriage to someone of unequal rank, but her brother the king gave her the courtesy title of Princess Christina, Mrs. Magnuson.

Christina has been active in the royal family foundations, and as well as cancer research, has been working in support of other causes including the Red Cross, where for years she was the head of its organisation Noaks Ark, which was set up to prevent the spreading of HIV and AIDS in Sweden. Christina has also been praised for helping to modernise the Swedish royal family, and has demonstrated a great interest in the arts and cultural scene in the country.

Curryong

As we can read in this article Christina deserves a rest. She has had a really rough trot with various health crises over the years and paid her dues to Sweden since her youth. I don't think anyone begrudges elderly and ailing royals a chance to relax with their families in their old age.

sara8150

Blue Clover

Interesting move! I wonder why they chose the US rather than Europe. Maybe Chris got a great job offer.

Curryong

My goodness, this family move around a lot! New York, London, now Florida. A bit of an odd place for Chris to be if he wishes 'to carry on business interests in Europe'. He's more likely to be pursuing long interests in the US, IMO.

PrincessOfPeace

A thread to discuss the Swedish Royal Family's news not related to their official duties.

Swedens Royal Court is having financial problems, the Royal Court has said. The royal palaces have been severely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. The visitors are absent, and a loss of approximately 75 per cent of the revenue is expected this year. According to the Head of Finance at the Royal Court in Sweden, it risks affecting cultural heritage.

More: Sweden?s Royal Court having financial difficulty ? Royal Central

TLLK

QuoteStaffan Larsson, Head of Finance at the Royal Court, has remarked to the Swedish media: ?We have had a layoff so we have not hired summer employees, which is about 300 people. Then it is, of course, the case that when we have fewer employees, the maintenance of the royal parks is not in the way we normally do. It has effects on the maintenance and care of cultural heritage.?

The Swedish state provides grants to the Royal Court. One part of the subsidy goes to the Royal Family and the other part to the Royal Court to preserve the royal palaces and parks. Nevertheless, the care of the royal properties is paid with about 80 per cent of other incomes from tourism and other sources.

:no: Sadly this is likely to be a long term issue until the pandemic comes to an end. With the loss of domestic and foreign tourists, it will be difficult to preserve these historic sites without the income visitors bring in every year.

QueenAlex

Are they so dependent on the tourist income? 

TLLK

@QueenAlex-Here is some information about how the royal properties are dependent upon tourist income.

QuoteThe Swedish state provides grants to the Royal Court. One part of the subsidy goes to the Royal Family and the other part to the Royal Court to preserve the royal palaces and parks. Nevertheless, the care of the royal properties is paid with about 80 per cent of other incomes from tourism and other sources.