The Danish Royal Family General News and Chat

Started by TLLK, June 20, 2018, 08:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Princess Elisabeth of Denmark | The Danish Monarchy - Front Page

Her Highness Princess Elisabeth passed away quietly on Tuesday the 19th June 2018.

The Princess was Hereditary Prince Knud?s and Hereditary Princess Caroline-Mathilde?s first-born child and also the first grandchild of King Christian X and Queen Alexandrine. 

She was the first cousin of Queen Margrethe and as I recall had been in poor health for some time.

Princess Elisabeth of Denmark has died at the age of 83 ? Royal Central

Curryong

Yes, wasn't there controversy back when Prince Knud her father was passed over as heir in favour of Margrethe, the first female heir for centuries? At least it freed Elizabeth up for a very long and no doubt interesting diplomatic career, which she almost certainly wouldn't have had as the daughter of a King. No marriage, no children though, but a longterm relationship. 

TLLK

@Curryong-My parents had a neighbor who was originally from Denmark so she could always supply us with the "scoop" on Danish royals. Yes apparently the change in succession laws did cause some controversy but she always said that there was something "off" about Knud which meant that the population wasn't too upset by the decision. She never really explained what "off"meant though so this could have been her personal opinion.

Yes Elisabeth did lead a very interesting life for a young woman in post WWII Europe.  :)

Curryong

'Off,'eh? Interesting. I may investigate! It might have been a bit of a Fred and Jaochim situation perhaps. We know that, in spite of certain opinions held on another forum, Fred and Mary are a very popular couple in Denmark. I once asked a Dane at TRF about why, in spite of being seemingly hard working and pleasant, Joachim and Marie are also-rans in approval ratings within Denmark. He remarked that there was an impression there that Joachim was quite stiff and pompous in comparison to his brother and not so personable. Perhaps it was the same with Fred and Knud, or he might have had a dark side. Who knows!

Double post auto-merged: June 20, 2018, 04:45:10 PM

Later.
Right I've been over to the Alexander Palace Forum (invaluable on little nuggets about royal families. Found that the relationship between Knud and Frederik was never very warm. Knud married his cousin (who had the most enormous gnashers and a long mouth while he had a long nose) and produced Elizabeth and two sons.

The younger son Christian, was born during the war and apparently King Fred and Queen Ingrid took this badly as they had 'only girls' and Christian would have been the name of their son of course. However, Ingrid had terrible pregnancies and births and was advised not to have any more children after the third daughter was born. Knud became his brother's heir.

The constitutional changes had apparently been hanging around since 1915 and the Second World War delayed it even more. The Danish Press apparently played up the physical ugliness of Knud's family in comparison to strapping King Fred and Queen Ingrid and their three attractive daughters. (Perhaps that was the 'off' bit!) Knud seemingly blamed Ingrid for pushing for the changes but in fact  it was the politicians, though she wrote a letter thanking them!

Knud was apparently embittered for the rest of his life and the two families rarely spoke until after Knud's death in the 1970s. Elizabeth's brother (the older one) was going to be heir and admitted he was disappointed for a while but was  philosophical. Don't know whether he is still alive but he was highly ranked in spite of a non dynastic marriage and was granted an allowance for life because he would have been Crown Prince then King. Elizabeth of course never married so she remained a Princess of the Royal House of Denmark, though she had a long standing relationship with a filmmaker.

His elder son later told a journalist

Blue Clover

@Curryong I know the forum, they have so much against Mary and Fred.  :hmm:  Its actually refreshing to hear that they are well-liked in Demark - you wouldn't believe it if you only read that other forum (that shall not be named).  :teehee:

Curryong

Yes, Fred and Mary have actually come higher in opinion polls over the last few years than Queen Margrethe, which seems a bit surprising. Margrethe (Daisy) is still popular, but the Crown Prince family is very well liked and I think Danes want to see Fred as King before he gets too much older.

Double post auto-merged: June 21, 2018, 10:45:13 AM

Princess Elizabeth will be buried beside her longterm partner Claus Hermansen, who made lots of documentaries, including several covert short films recording incidents for the resistance during the occupation of Denmark.

The funeral is going to be held at the family kirk. Apparently throughout the relationship she made it clear that she didn't want to marry because if she did so she would lose the privileges of being a member of the Danish Royal family! She liked being a doting aunt but wasn't interested in motherhood either!

TLLK

@Curryong-Thank goodness that you are well bitten by the history bug!!! Your detective works seems to have found what appears to be our neighbor's feelings on Prince Knud and his family. How sad that the family's physical appearance was used in such a manner to promote the change in succession. Not surprising that the idea of female succession had been around for awhile but the press needed a scapegoat to promote its change and that was unfortunately Knud and his family.  :(

I have to say that once I left that dishy site that I discovered that I had been influenced by its opinion of the Danish CP couple. While I personally believe that Frederik is not quite as um.."sharp" as his brother, I can see how Joachim has been portrayed as a bit "arrogant." Both men seem to have found good matches with their wives and created happy family life.  :thumbsup: Insight from well respected Danish posters at the big site seem to be in agreement about the brothers, their families and the future of the monarchy.  I can see why Danes might want to see a now 50 year old Frederik begin his reign while he's still a younger man especially after his peers in Spain, the NL, Belgium and soon to be in Japan have begun theirs after the living monarch abdicated for various reasons. (IMO other monarchies do seem to avoid the current situation in the UK .) With Prince Henrik's passing perhaps they Danes might be thinking that Daisy might want a bit of retirement. (I have this vision that the NL's Princess Beatrix sends  selfies to her peers  of herself enjoying life while Elizabeth, CG, Margrethe, Harald, Akihito are still slumped over documents or opening another train station.  :P)

TLLK

Princess Elisabeth of Denmark laid to rest ? Royal Central

Her Highness Princess Elisabeth of Denmark?s cremation ceremony at Lyngby Kirke was held yesterday at 13.00, and she was later laid to rest beside filmmaker and director Claus Hermansen ? her partner who she lived with for many years. Hermansen died in 1997.

The service was conducted by former royal Chaplain-in-Ordinary Erik Norman Svendsen. It took place in the church that Her Highness was baptised and confirmed in when she was younger. Her first cousins, Queen Margrethe II, Princess Benedikte, and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece and only surviving brother, Prince Ingolf and his three daughters Josephine, Camilla and Feodora all attended the service.

TLLK

A thread to discuss the Danish Royal Family's news and articles not related to official royal duties.

Login ? Instagram

The CP family with : CP Frederik, CP Mary, Prince Christian, Princess Isabella and the twins Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine together at the summer palace at Grasten.  :Jen: The family typically spends about 2-3 weeks at the Summer Palace.

PrincessOfPeace

Frederik, Mary and the children have been pictured at the beach in Skagen

Beelden | ANP Foto

PrincessOfPeace

Prince Joachim of Denmark, younger son of Queen Margrethe II, is in a stable condition in hospital after being rushed in last night with a blood clot on his brain.

The prince, who is 51, underwent what has been described as a successful operation on Friday night after being admitted as an emergency patient to the University Hospital of Toulouse.

Princess Marie is at her husbands bedside.

More: Prince Joachim of Denmark undergoes emergency brain surgery ? Royal Central

TLLK

I just read this news and I am stunned. Thank goodness the family were close to quality emergency medical care!

I found this on the official Danish RF website. (Which is basically confirms @PrincessOfPeace's post.)

HRH Prince Joachim hospitalized in France | The Danish Monarchy - Front Page

His Royal Highness Prince Joachim was late last night admitted to Toulouse University Hospital in France. Immediately thereafter, the Prince underwent surgery for a blood clot in the brain. The operation was successful, and His Royal Highness? condition is stable.

The Royal House has no further information at this point in time, but it is the wish of Her Majesty The Queen that the public respects the privacy of the family during the hospitalization. Her Royal Highness Princess Marie is with her husband.

Macrobug67

Oh man.  That is not good.  Fingers crossed

PrincessOfPeace

The Danish royal court has thanked the public for its well-wishes, following Prince Joachims emergency surgery over the weekend. In a statement released on Tuesday, the palace said that Queen Margrethe's youngest son, 51, is expected to be moved from the intensive care unit soon.

The court said: His Royal Highness Prince Joachim underwent surgery on Saturday night, July 25, 2020 for a blood clot in his brain at the University Hospital of Toulouse, France. After the recent days of hospitalisation and treatment in the intensive care unit, it is now the doctors assessment that Prince Joachim will not have physical or other consequences but as a result of the blood clot.

Palace gives update on royal prince following emergency surgery | HELLO!

Macrobug67

TLLK

Excellent news from the Danish royal court and I hope that he has a speedy recovery.

LouisFerdinand

The colors of Crown Princess Mary's skirt are perfect for summer.

TLLK

Twitter

QuotePrince Joachim of Denmark has been in the hospital for 1 week now after suffering a blood clot in the brain. No word on when he is expected to be released.

The palace said earlier this week his surgery was a sucess & they expect no permanent injury.

Macrobug67

Not unexpected re length of time in hospital.  Good news that no long term effects :thumbsup:

Curryong

Joachim and Marie's children are still young. Glad that everything went satisfactorily and I expect the family will be ecstatic when he comes home.

TLLK

What a frightening experience for Queen Margrethe, Princess Marie and the four children. Hopefully Joachim will be released soon.

TLLK

Prince Joachim has been discharged from the hospital.

HRH Prince Joachim discharged from the hospital | The Danish Monarchy - Front Page

On Monday evening, 3 August 2020, His Royal Highness Prince Joachim was discharged from the University Hospital in Toulouse, France, where Prince Joachim underwent an operation for a blood clot in the brain a week earlier.

It is now the assessment of the doctors that the Prince?s health has improved to such an extent that His Royal Highness can be discharged, and Prince Joachim is now residing at Ch?teau de Cayx. It is still the family?s wish that the Prince obtains the necessary peace and quiet to recover fully.

Prince Joachim and Princess Marie would like to take this opportunity to thank the hospital personnel involved for a professional course of treatment.

TLLK

Danish Royal House shares a photo of CP Frederik visiting Prince Joachim in France. Good to see the brothers together after Prince Joachim's health scare.

Prince Joachim seen for first time since brain surgery ? Royal Central

QuotePrince Joachim of Denmark has been seen for the first time since undergoing emergency surgery for a blood clot on his brain last month. The prince was photographed with his older brother, Crown Prince Frederik, who has spent several days in France with Joachim and his family.

In a post on the official Danish royal Instagram page, the brothers are seen smiling while enjoying the summer sun at the Chateau de Cayx where Joachim is staying with his wife, Princess Marie, and their children, Prince Henrik and Princess Athena.