Saudi Princess Runs Up £15 Million Shopping Bill...Then Seeks Immunity

Started by Orchid, June 13, 2009, 12:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchid

QuoteOne of the most senior members of Saudi Arabia's royal family, Princess Maha al-Sudairi, is claiming diplomatic immunity in France after running up unpaid shopping bills of more than £15 million including £60,000 on designer lingerie

She has ignored her furious debtors and locked herself in her £2,500-a-night suite at the George V Hotel in Paris

Read More: Article From The Telegraph
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil

Orchid

More on the renegade Saudi Princess...

QuoteA Saudi princess who allegedly owed thousands of dollars in shopping bills in Paris has agreed to pay up after a bailiff visited her hotel, lawyers say.

Maha al-Sudairi, the wife of the Saudi interior minister, is paying more than $120,000 (85,700 euros; £72,800) to one store, according to its lawyer

Read More: Saudi Pays Up In Paris Shop Row - BBC

QuoteSaudi Arabia's Princess Maha al-Sudairi has been accused of failing to pay for a string of goods bought in Paris.

The royal - who is married to the country's interior minister and senior royal Naif bin Abdulaziz - reportedly sent her aide to pick up £60,000-worth of lingerie from a boutique, promising she would pay later.

However, Jamila Boushaba who runs O Caprices De Lili claims she is still waiting to receive the money over a year after the event

Read More: M&C Article
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil

Harry2me4ever

Orchid

-Winston Churchil

drezzle

This documentary last night on TV was about "Royal Inquests".   This one was about how one of the top Saudi royal princes (forget name) was involved in one of the biggest drug heists in history with the final destination in Paris.  The Saudi prince had diplomatic immunity, which helped the drug deal go forward since he didn't have to go through customs. 

All his cohorts got jail or made deals with the legal machinery, but he got off scot-free since Saudi Arabia has no extradition treaty with France or the US.   

So as I understand it, this princess either needs to pay her bill, if she wants to stay in Paris, or she needs to go back to Saudi Arabia if she cannot or will not pay her bill.   
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Lila the Flirt

QuoteHer weekly dry cleaning bill alone was said to be £30,000.

Now that, is outrageous!

Flirt's the name, flirtin's my game :lila:

Orchid

Here's an update on the Bailiff's situation...

Read Here: AFP Article

QuoteBenazareh said he was told the bills went unpaid due to an oversight by her staff

:lmao4: Oh, my, what rubbish! ...

QuoteBut the Saudi princess is alleged to have left a trail of unpaid bills at top Parisian locations including one for 10 million euros at the Crillon hotel, according to French newspaper Le Journal du Dimanche

Benazareh said Paris jewellers Chaumet has also taken legal action against the princess. The Journal du Dimanche says the store is owed more than 600,000 euros.

The manager of luxury lingerie store "Aux caprices de Lili," which is just opposite the George V, told AFP the princess had run up a slate of 70,000 euros' worth of designer underwear, silk bathrobes and swimwear

That must have been some "oversight" by the rogue princess staff :haha:
-Winston Churchil

pinkDiamond

Since when is not paying a bill covered under diplomatic immunity?

gec

I'm not aware of how things work in Saudi Arabia.

Will this have any impact on her husband, his finances and his role as a royal and in the government?

flour

Orchid

I'm on the case and I'll see what I can dig up to answer the questions posed here.
-Winston Churchil

drezzle

Orchid!  You might first want to check out whether or not her husband took on another wife recently.  That could make money rather scarce, at least for awhile until the princess has the time to reestablish her pecking order.
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

Orchid

Drezzle, he's 76!  He seems in pretty good shape but I'm not sure he's fit enough to take on a third wife at his age :laugh:
-Winston Churchil

flour

I could dry clean every single piece of clothing I own at the most expensive dry cleaners I know of and the bill still wouldn't read 30,000!! Also 10 million at a hotel?!?! I want to know what exactly she bought, 15 million on one week without buying real estate is impressive.

Orchid

From the information I've managed to find, her husband Prince Nayef is a member of the "Sudairi Six" - the powerful surviving sons of Ibn Saud and his favourite wife, Hassa Bint Ahmad Al-Sudairi.  Nayef was the interior minister for SA but more recently was appointed 2nd Deputy PM.  It is believed he is a strong candidate for succession to the throne and the most powerful of the Al Sauds. At 76 he's no spring chicken but he's certainly a powerful and very wealthy man. So it doesn't seem likely that his wife, Princess Maha al-Sudairi cannot afford to pay the bills accrued to date. The explanation as to why still evades reasoning to me. 

As for the aspect of diplomatic immunity - I'm still not absolutely sure. The family own property (including the George V) in Paris and her husband's influential position may carry considerable  political weight in France.

Effectively by granting the Princess DI she is being granted legal immunity, ensuring (as a royal and wife of a diplomat) that she is not susceptible to lawsuit or prosecution in France (the host country) whilst there and maybe this has affected the action taken against her for monies accrued. That said, just why the bailiffs were permitted to approach her under those circumstances (DI) makes no sense. 
I suppose the immunity stabilises government relations between Saudi Arabia and France.  But all things (known) considered, it seems unlikely to impact upon Prince Nayef or his role/position.
-Winston Churchil

Lila the Flirt

Oh yes she can pay. Perhaps she just doesn't want to :D

Oh if one has nothing else to do except shop I gather all those bills can get rather high :boredatwork:

Flirt's the name, flirtin's my game :lila:

drezzle

It's probably somewhat clear that if she is living in France, she is not living with her husband.  I wonder how many Saudi rules she has broken that apply to women -- such as no visits from men?  Seems to me she may have had her funds cut off for whatever reason?

Orchid

A distinct possibility drezzle. Your quite a mind. Royal Forum Sleuth Extraordinare.
-Winston Churchil

drezzle

:D :D  Are you joshing me now?  Did I state the the toooo obvious?   ;)

Orchid

No :hug:...I was being genuine. I never considered the possibilities you introduced.
-Winston Churchil

Miss Scarlett

OMG!  I'm sure she's used to spending money like water without a thought...  You are perhaps quite correct, drezzle --there has to be some reason she suddenly can't pay, especially in light of this quote:

Quote"She was a very good customer for eight years, but then simply stopped paying," said Mrs Boushaba.

Even without her funds, she's used to getting whatever she wants... but would they let her stay at the George V if she had broken rules?  Certainly, her husband can afford to pay...

Orchid

^ The George V is owned by her nephew, Prince Al Waleed. So she probably won't incur a bill for staying there.
-Winston Churchil