The Tudors 1485-1603 Henry VII -Elizabeth I

Started by cinrit, November 17, 2011, 12:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amabel

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on April 11, 2016, 10:00:06 PM
When Queen Anne miscarried in January 1536, King Francis I of France was told the story.   
Eustace Chapuys reported the news to Holy Roman Emperor Charles V that Anne was not really pregnant at all.   
She and her sister Mary had invented the story to keep King Henry VIII believing Anne could give him the son he wanted.   
Nonsense, Anne was pregnant and she had a miscarriage of about 3 1/4 or 4 months.  Chapuys tended to try and make out that Anne was "on the way out", with Henry and his information was n't always accurte.

LouisFerdinand

As soon as she became Queen, Elizabeth I reversed the debasing of the coinage. She encouraged trade in London, the Foreign Exchange, and the learning of skills from foreign refugees.

LouisFerdinand

Elizabeth I ruled England for 44 busy years.   
                             Elizabeth I: Ruled England for 44 Years - Fast Facts | History - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth I   
                          Queen Elizabeth I Coronation (Greatness) HD - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

How about attending The Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn lecture?   
                     Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn Lecture - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

How did the Vatican library obtain the love letters King Henry VIII had written to Anne Boleyn?

LouisFerdinand

Elizabeth may have realized that any man that she would wed would expect to become King of England. He might take all authority away from her as Queen.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

A huge crowd gathered when Anne Boleyn rode through the streets of London on the way to her coronation on June 1, 1533. The crowd had been ordered to cheer. Instead they yelled that Nan Bullen should not be their Queen.

LouisFerdinand

On September 8, 1553 Elizabeth attended her first Catholic Mass.

LouisFerdinand

Curryong

An incredibly rare 16th century textile was found cut (in sections) hanging in a church. It is speculated it could have been from the skirt worn by Queen Elizabeth I in the Rainbow Portrait.

Elizabeth I's long-lost skirt goes on display after it was found in a 13th century church  | Daily Mail Online

TLLK

Excellent news because I know that so few Tudor royal artifacts survived the once Cromwell took over as Lord Protector.

Curryong

^ Yes, I believe one of Henry VIII's hats survived the selling off of the Royal Wardrobe in its entirety and remains today, but precious little else. I find that quite surprising really. You would have thought that a secret Royalist family or two would have sent a servant to bid for shoes, shirts, jackets etc belonging to the Martyr King, as Charles I was known among his adherents. Perhaps they did though, and in the centuries since these items were thrown out. I admire the precept that Parliament is paramount but not many of the deeds that followed the Civil War.

In my view as a history buff, three things have occurred in previous centuries that caused extraordinarily important, ancient and precious Royal artefacts to disappear. Two of them occurred during the Interregnum. The selling off of King Charles I's art Collection which was then dispersed all over Europe, and the destruction of the Crown Jewels, including pieces from the Anglo Saxon kings. Irreplaceable!

The third was the unfortunate burning of the Houses of Parliament in 1834. The room in which Edward the Confessor had died and the chamber in which Queen Elizabeth I and her Ministers gathered as the Armada approached disappeared in that conflagration, as did so much else, including famous tapestries of that Armada which hung on the walls.

royalanthropologist

Quote from: Curryong on January 10, 2017, 01:32:03 AM
^ Yes, I believe one of Henry VIII's hats survived the selling off of the Royal Wardrobe in its entirety and remains today, but precious little else. I find that quite surprising really. You would have thought that a secret Royalist family or two would have sent a servant to bid for shoes, shirts, jackets etc belonging to the Martyr King, as Charles I was known among his adherents. Perhaps they did though, and in the centuries since these items were thrown out. I admire the precept that Parliament is paramount but not many of the deeds that followed the Civil War.

In my view as a history buff, three things have occurred in previous centuries that caused extraordinarily important, ancient and precious Royal artefacts to disappear. Two of them occurred during the Interregnum. The selling off of King Charles I's art Collection which was then dispersed all over Europe, and the destruction of the Crown Jewels, including pieces from the Anglo Saxon kings. Irreplaceable!

The third was the unfortunate burning of the Houses of Parliament in 1834. The room in which Edward the Confessor had died and the chamber in which Queen Elizabeth I and her Ministers gathered as the Armada approached disappeared in that conflagration, as did so much else, including famous tapestries of that Armada which hung on the walls.

I really wish someone had preserved Anne Boleyn's and her daughter's jewels. It would have been interesting to see whether they were really as fashionable as history tells us. I once read that Anne was actually crowned as if she were a queen regnant using St. Edward's Crown. Henry VIII must have been super smitten to grant such an elaborate ceremony.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

LouisFerdinand

William Cecil, Lord Burghley served Elizabeth I as her Secretary of State and Lord High Treasurer.   
He would write her long memoranda, detailing the pros and cons of every decision.

LouisFerdinand

When Edward VI was King, his sister Elizabeth worshipped according to the King's royal decree.   
She made no great public show of her faith and stayed discreet.

TLLK

Unlike their elder sister Mary who would not give up her Roman Catholic faith.

Jennifer

QuoteEmma Thompson to portray Queen Elizabeth I

Emma Thompson is set to portray Queen Elizabeth I in the second season of the popular Shakespearian comedy, Upstart Crow to air on BBC2 later this year. Just this week, the show was named best new TV sitcom at the comedy.co.uk awards. This isn't the first historical role Thompson has played during her long career. She played Eleanor Dashwood in the 1995 drama Sense and Sensibility opposite Hugh Grant.

During the next season of the comedy, viewers will see the now iconic playwrite continued his epic journey to become a London playwrite whilst still trying to keep his family, living at Stratford Upon Avon, contented. He'll receive help from his friends played by Rob Rouse, Gemma Whelan and Tim Downi. Shakespeare will suffer various commuting problems. He'll take a low-cost trip to Verona, endure coach cancelations, and survive an ugly reunion with a schoolmaster.

Filming has already begun for the second season. Upstart Crow is written by Ben Elton and stars Paula Wilcox as William's mother Mary Arden, Liza Tarbuck as Anne Hathaway, his wife, Helen Monks as their daughter Susanna, and Mark Heap as his nemesis Robert Greene.

Read more:
Emma Thompson to portray Queen Elizabeth I – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

LouisFerdinand

In 1570 Pope Pius VI declared Queen Elizabeth I a heretic, unfit for the throne, and relieved her subjects of all obedience to her.

LouisFerdinand

At her coronation in Westminster Abbey on January 15, 1559 Queen Elizabeth I pointedly refused to witness the Catholic ritual of Bishop Oglethorpe elevating the Host.

Jennifer

QuoteElizabeth I to be played by Margot Robbie

Negotiations are underway to have Australian actress Margot Robbie portray Elizabethan era Queen Elizabeth I in the new film Mary Queen of Scots. The film, which has yet to be confirmed, will be co-produced by Focus Features and Working Title.

Robbie has previously been seen in The Wolf of Wall Street and Suicide Squad.

The news, first reported by Variety, said that Beau Willimon, House of Cards creator, is writing the script based off of a book called The True Life of Mary Stuart authored by John Guy.

Read more:
Elizabeth I to be played by Margot Robbie – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

Curryong

I think Margot Robbie would be quite good in the role. I have to say that I think the Tudors/Elizabeth I have been done to death on TV and to a certain extent the cinema, but I suppose Mary Stuart is a new angle.

Jennifer

It seems like many movie directors want to make remakes of royal movies. There was already two Mary, Queen of Scots movies that were made in 1971 and 2013. Perhaps the directors want to focus on different aspects of her life that the other two movies didn't. As for the acting of her cousin, Queen Elizabeth I, I was personally impressed with Helen Mirren and Cate Blanchett's performances as her. I hope Margot Robbie does well as her!

Curryong

^ Vanessa Redgrave played Mary in the 1971 version, I believe, and being a tall redhead, physically resembled the Scottish Queen. I think Glenda Jackson was Mary's cousin Elizabeth in that film.