Dickie Arbiter's Book: on His Time w/Prince Charles, Diana & Other Royals

Started by Limabeany, August 03, 2014, 10:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheridan

:blahblahblah: here we go again, we've heard it all, who cares....nothing to see here just another book like the thousands that have been written..I don't think Charles is losing sleep over this.

sandy

Charles office in the past has gotten advance copies of various books, according to various sources such as Jephson.

amabel

Quote from: Sheridan on August 04, 2014, 03:04:17 PM
:blahblahblah: here we go again, we've heard it all, who cares....nothing to see here just another book like the thousands that have been written..I don't think Charles is losing sleep over this.
I should sya he is.  It is a gross betrayal of trust and it might be legally possible to stop it...

Limabeany

Dickie Artbiter seems a royal fan, I doubt he will write anything that would anger Charles and the Queen, but they might consider ANYthing written about them by former employees a betrayal and be angered by that.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Trudie

Quote from: Sheridan on August 04, 2014, 03:04:17 PM

Well if you didn't care you wouldn't be posting :wellduh:

Guess we will find out on October 2nd Lima when the book is published :clap:

Canuck

Quote from: Limabeany on August 04, 2014, 08:56:48 PM
Dickie Artbiter seems a royal fan, I doubt he will write anything that would anger Charles and the Queen, but they might consider ANYthing written about them by former employees a betrayal and be angered by that.

I agree with this.  Arbiter has said, for example, that the book will cover the days immediately after Diana's death.  Even if everything he says is flattering to Charles and the Queen, I think they would be very upset for him to share private details as to how the family dealt with the aftermath of that tragedy, especially if he talks about Will and Harry at all.

By virtue of their positions, the Royals will necessarily have various staff members around during very private moments -- from press secretaries to personal assistants to drivers and cleaning staff.  They shouldn't have to pause in the middle of a tragedy to think about what someone writing a tell-all book might say about their tears or lack thereof, their appetite, the first things they said to one another or their staff about it, etc.

amabel

yes they do consider any book a betrayal of trust, because it is. 

TLLK

Quote from: Canuck on August 04, 2014, 09:04:32 PM
Quote from: Limabeany on August 04, 2014, 08:56:48 PM

I agree with this.  Arbiter has said, for example, that the book will cover the days immediately after Diana's death.  Even if everything he says is flattering to Charles and the Queen, I think they would be very upset for him to share private details as to how the family dealt with the aftermath of that tragedy, especially if he talks about Will and Harry at all.

By virtue of their positions, the Royals will necessarily have various staff members around during very private moments -- from press secretaries to personal assistants to drivers and cleaning staff.  They shouldn't have to pause in the middle of a tragedy to think about what someone writing a tell-all book might say about their tears or lack thereof, their appetite, the first things they said to one another or their staff about it, etc.
Oh no. This is always a difficult time in any family's life. I know that I wouldn't want my words and actions shared with the public.

Pamela

Quote from: Canuck on August 04, 2014, 09:04:32 PM

Very well said, Canuck. Everyone deserves some amount of privacy, and no one can live 24/7 under a microscope.

HistoryGirl

Quote from: amabel on August 05, 2014, 08:23:08 AM
Quote from: HistoryGirl on August 05, 2014, 12:30:51 AM
This story is a bit ironic if true lol
in what way?

The article says Prince Charles feels betrayal at a man who is supposedly going to write about a time when the Prince betrayed his wife by having a mistress.

TLLK

gec

I think it would be reasonable to assume that there would be some pretty tight confidentiality / non-disclosure agreements in place. This reported displeasure of Charles could just be marketing strategy.

I don't expect it to contain any unflattering personal information pertaining to members of the royal family. If anything it will probably be more of an account of how things operate generally and then in a time of crisis eg. Diana's death.

Jmax2

My guess is that Charles isn't the least bit furious about this book.  And, claims that he is are being made both to bolster book sales, and to legitimize yet another attack on Diana.  Charles will pretend to be "outraged" that Diana is being shown in such a poor light.  Dickie Arbiter has absolutely no reason to be tray the rf, so for that reason,IMO, he won't.
The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking places.  ~Author Unknown

Eri

No matter how you spin it this man is betraying The Queen and The Prince and that tells more about him than them ... not that he will say anything earth shattering but still ...

sandy

Charles via his own authorized biographer took potshots at his parents and how he was raised. He can't get on his high horse about "betrayals."

TLLK

Quote from: gec on August 06, 2014, 11:16:59 AM
I think it would be reasonable to assume that there would be some pretty tight confidentiality / non-disclosure agreements in place. This reported displeasure of Charles could just be marketing strategy.

I don't expect it to contain any unflattering personal information pertaining to members of the royal family. If anything it will probably be more of an account of how things operate generally and then in a time of crisis eg. Diana's death.
True, but I've a feeling that no one wants their private reaction to terrible news being aired. JMO

amabel

It is immaterial what Dickie Arbiter says in this book, the fact is that he should nt write it.

Trudie

Well Dickie Arbiter is no worse then those unfortunate Mountbatten sisters writing memoirs and spilling what went on in the royal family. However you spin that they shouldn't have written books but I suppose it is fine since they saw Diana as damaged and Charles the victim.

Rebound

^I agree, Trudie. Sauce for the goose, and all that. Once you let one person reveal their feelings and impressions and you reveal yours, you have to make room for other people to write their stories. Lots of books and articles have been written about that time, another one is coming, and more after that. And they were written by favorites and perceived enemies, by friends and relatives, servants, royal watchers, and now Arbiter. Once you yourself open the doors, other people will come in.

cate1949

have to wait until the book comes out of course but right now I don't see it as some terrible betrayal.  I doubt Arbiter would engage in a betrayal and I'd bet every word in that book has been vetted by the RF (staff).  Arbiter is not going to bite the hand that feeds his daughter. 

amabel

It is a violation of the Official Secrets Act which he signed when he took royal employemtn. 

Trudie

Though it may be a violation of the Official Secrets Act which he signed wouldn't you think by now nothing can really be done since think about it  Charles cooperated and gave permission to Dimbleby to write about his private life since then you can't really call memoirs by former employees betrayals even family are now writing memoirs the Mountbatten sisters, Mrs Rhodes with her book The Final Curtsy about the Queen Mother and her Sunday tea and chats with her cousin the Queen so is there really a need to keep harping about Dickie Arbiter as someone betraying his friend? Have they ever been known to socialize together outside of the palace as friends? the answer is most defiantly NO.

Limabeany

Quote from: sandy on August 07, 2014, 11:08:54 PM
Charles via his own authorized biographer took potshots at his parents and how he was raised. He can't get on his high horse about "betrayals."
I agree, he abused them to excuse his behavior.  :thumbsdown:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.