The War Of The Wales Years & Behaviour Of All Those Involved

Started by TLLK, October 06, 2014, 03:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Thought it might be time for Charles to have his own thread regarding his comments, actions etc... during his separation/divorce from Diana. (I've checked to see if there were older threads but most have been locked.)

sandy

Charles had a temper. I noticed that Diana is criticized for not keeping her "emotions in check." Charles pulled a sink out in a fit of temper (reported by Wendy Berrie, the Housekeeper), he threw things at Diana and was seen aiming a blow at her when they were getting in a car. His grandfather George VI had temper tantrums in front of his family and was said to have hit his wife. So the Windsor men are not exactly stoical.  Diana never said what led up to her crying in the bathroom. Given Charles temper I would be surprised if she did not get upset.

TLLK

Great let's keep the discussion to Charles in this thread! :banana:

sandy

Charles inherited the temper from his granddad according to various biographies.

Charles did not exist in a vacuum he interacted with people including his first wife.

Eri

TLLK

IMO Charles appeared to be a bit sulky when his wife began to receive so much attention from the public and press. At first I believe he found it charming and then it began to wear on him.

HistoryGirl

^Sounds about right. He seemed a petty person at the time.

Trudie

Charles put downs started early especially during a tour when he said he needed two wives to walk on each side of the street and he could be in the middle directing the operation. Because people wanted to see his wife and he was handed flowers for her.

Eri

By 1990 both Chuck and Di had ran out of steam he wanted to be left alone with Cam , she wanted her freedom back but that doesn't justify how nasty it got poor Will and Harry THE ONLY victims in that mess ... I would have called chid's services on Chuck and Di ...

sandy

It ran out of steam years earlier when Charles (he told this to his authorized biographer) went back to Camila in 1986. They had been meeting at the hunts and had kept in touch. I do think Charles married Diana only to get heirs and when she did her duty that was that.

Will and Harry were spoiled rotten. Where do you think William gets his sense of entitlements and feels he can do what he wants when he wants. He is playing normal now. The sun rose and set on William and Harry as far as Charles and Diana were concerned.

As I recall Charles was the only one who complained about his "rotten childhood."

Eri

^ Do we really need to go through Di's long list of lovers? Don't throw stones while living in Di's glass house ...

Trudie

If I recall correctly when Charles broke his arm he made it quite clear to the public he didn't want Diana there by the look on his face.

sandy

Quote from: Eri on October 07, 2014, 08:12:24 PM
^ Do we really need to go through Di's long list of lovers? Don't throw stones while living in Di's glass house ...

I thought this thread was about Charles. Isn't this usual Diana smearing off topic?

Charles had to sow wild oats and certainly got a lot of mileage. And there was Janet Jenkins that he cheated on Camilla with.

The trouble with Charles is that he just saw marriage as a concept and he thought himself so above everybody else that people would kowtow to him. APB rolled over and played dead.

He was coddled and spoiled by his grandmother and he had friends that yessed him all the time. And most of the time Charles got what he wanted.

TLLK

Have to say that I agree with sandy and that the topic should remain about Charles during those years.

cate1949

one thing that still seems utterly bizarre to me is that the husbands of the married women Charles had affairs with were expected to - and actually did - just accept it - appreciate the perks (??) and keep quiet while their wives cavorted with Charles.  Absolutely so archaic - and certainly doesn't say much for the status of those marriages.  Camilla and Kanga's husbands both maintained relationships with Charles while he slept with their wives and remained friends with him to this day.

Seems so - against the norm - and truthfully - as if they were pimps - benefitting from their wives sexual favors to Charles. Yes  I know that it was that way in the past too - but really?  Seems so perverse - no wonder Charles had such a sense of entitlement - men just rolled over to allow him to screw their wives s if he was doing them a favor.

Eri

^ Where is the proof of that? The two couples you mentioned were his friends that hosted him and their Circle for weekends of shooting animals and partying ... there is no proof of anything else ... yes he obviously had an affair with Cam but it was again in 1986 when both their marriages were over !!!

Curryong

I don't know about Kanga's husband, Lord Tryon, but Andrew Parker Bowles was a well known ladies man from his youth. Charles's dalliance with Camilla probably suited APB's own playing away from home very well. It seems to have been accepted by their set as just par for the course. However, once it was out in the open for all to see it was a different matter. Wasn't Andrew greeted by "Hello, Mr Simpson!" at Ascot shortly before the Parker Bowles divorce.

Ernest Simpson fell in love (conveniently for the King) with Mary Raffray after probably being fed up by sniggers at his club etc when Edward was taking Wallis with him everywhere. George and Alice Keppel stayed together, but George was reputedly financially struggling and King Edward VII paid for his wife's expenses.

sandy

Charles outed Camilla as  his mistress via Dimbleby. Before that APB played along with it since he got perks out of it too (and still does to this day being in the royal circle). Once it was all outed, it was time for the divorce of the PBs.

Double post auto-merged: October 08, 2014, 01:52:46 PM

Quote from: Eri on October 08, 2014, 07:14:37 AM
^ Where is the proof of that? The two couples you mentioned were his friends that hosted him and their Circle for weekends of shooting animals and partying ... there is no proof of anything else ... yes he obviously had an affair with Cam but it was again in 1986 when both their marriages were over !!!

Kanga said so. She and Charles were an item and she was his mistress. There is a documentary about her (the other mistress) and Kanga's husband would actually leave the house so Charles could be alone with his wife. Kanga's daughter spoke out about her mother and the Prince.

Kanga did a lot more than play hostess with the Prince

The lonely death of Charles's other mistress | Daily Mail Online

TLLK

Quote from: cate1949 on October 08, 2014, 06:53:28 AM
one thing that still seems utterly bizarre to me is that the husbands of the married women Charles had affairs with were expected to - and actually did - just accept it - appreciate the perks (??) and keep quiet while their wives cavorted with Charles.  Absolutely so archaic - and certainly doesn't say much for the status of those marriages.  Camilla and Kanga's husbands both maintained relationships with Charles while he slept with their wives and remained friends with him to this day.

Seems so - against the norm - and truthfully - as if they were pimps - benefitting from their wives sexual favors to Charles. Yes  I know that it was that way in the past too - but really?  Seems so perverse - no wonder Charles had such a sense of entitlement - men just rolled over to allow him to screw their wives s if he was doing them a favor.
It does seem very odd to me as well, but this type of behavior among the aristocracy who wanted to gain favor with the ruling families goes back centuries. I believe that the arranged marriages that most entered into for financial/other gain made people seek love elsewhere.

Eri

Quote from: sandy on October 08, 2014, 01:51:16 PM
Charles outed Camilla as  his mistress via Dimbleby. Before that APB played along with it since he got perks out of it too (and still does to this day being in the royal circle). Once it was all outed, it was time for the divorce of the PBs.

Double post auto-merged: October 08, 2014, 01:52:46 PM

Quote from: Eri on October 08, 2014, 07:14:37 AM

Kanga said so. She and Charles were an item and she was his mistress. There is a documentary about her (the other mistress) and Kanga's husband would actually leave the house so Charles could be alone with his wife. Kanga's daughter spoke out about her mother and the Prince.

Kanga did a lot more than play hostess with the Prince

The lonely death of Charles's other mistress | Daily Mail Online
I her dreams ... whatever she has said her own daughter said is a lie !!!

sandy

Charles never denied anything. And the documentary about her got much publicity. he could have refuted it.   Kanga and Charles were not "just friends".  So why does the DM call her "mistress" it was not from playing chess with him.  Charles was advised to sow wild oats and he went about it. The article does not say they were "just friends." And other books about Charles called her mistress. What's the difference Eri if they were? He was not  faithful to Camilla (he married someone else and had various relationships) and She was not faithful to him marrying another man.

Double post auto-merged: October 08, 2014, 05:23:01 PM

Quote from: TLLK on October 08, 2014, 02:54:04 PM
Quote from: cate1949 on October 08, 2014, 06:53:28 AM

It does seem very odd to me as well, but this type of behavior among the aristocracy who wanted to gain favor with the ruling families goes back centuries. I believe that the arranged marriages that most entered into for financial/other gain made people seek love elsewhere.

But now there are no arranged marriages. Charles asked Diana out on dates and there were no contracts drawn up saying it was "arranged" like in the old days.

cinrit

Quote from: sandy on October 08, 2014, 05:20:25 PM
Charles never denied anything. And the documentary about her got much publicity. he could have refuted it.   Kanga and Charles were not "just friends".  So why does the DM call her "mistress" it was not from playing chess with him.  Charles was advised to sow wild oats and he went about it. The article does not say they were "just friends." And other books about Charles called her mistress. What's the difference Eri if they were? He was not  faithful to Camilla (he married someone else and had various relationships) and She was not faithful to him marrying another man. 

I don't know (and don't care) if Kanga and Charles had something going, but his not denying the rumors means nothing.  He also didn't confirm them.  Besides, why does it matter what he did before he married Diana?  Isn't this thread about his actions during the "War of the Wales"?  What happened before has no bearing on that.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

TLLK

^^^ Have to agree Cindy that this should belong to another thread as it is from a time prior to his marriage to Diana and the WoTW.

Trudie

During the war of the Wales many have claimed that nothing was to be said about Diana including Penny Junors books and others yet Charles mistress and friends leaked plenty of stories and nothing was said even Fatty Soames on TV said Diana was in the advanced stages of paranoia this while Charles was still married to her. Charles still to this day is close friends with Soames. In the past if anyone uttered any thing about his personal life they were dropped. Charles was hardly the lily white innocent several on this board would like others to believe.