Royal Historical Facts Potpurri Chat Part 2

Started by PrincessKLS, October 28, 2007, 04:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

Prince Franz Joseph was regent for four months for his granduncle Sovereign Prince Franz I of Liechtenstein. Franz Joseph was made regent on March 31, 1938.

LouisFerdinand

According to one magazine, while still on the throne, Prince Rainier's grandfather Prince Louis II of Monaco exiled Rainier's father Prince Pierre from Monaco.

LouisFerdinand

King Christian IV of Denmark's reign of 59 years, 330 days is the longest of Danish monarchs.

LouisFerdinand

In 1962 Queen Louise of Sweden abolished the court presentations. She replaced them with ladies lunches. Professional career women attended the Queen's lunches.

Nightowl

Oh, I like that idea, who won't love to have a beautiful lunch with a Queen in her home?   Makes for great memories to last a lifetime.

Curryong

Louise was a very egalitarian woman. She was Lord Mountbatten?s second sister of course, and also of Princess Andrew (Alice) the mother of Prince Philip, but she believed that she was unrecognised in London and would travel about on public transport when visiting. In case she was knocked over by a car in the street and killed, she kept a piece of paper in her handbag stating (in English of course)

?I am the Queen of Sweden. In case of accidents please consult with the Swedish Embassy immediately.? And she gave contact details!

LouisFerdinand

In 1905 Grand Duke Cyril of Russia and former Grand Duchess Victoria Melita of Hesse and by Rhine wed without the formal approval of King Edward VII of England, as the Royal Marriages act of 1772 would have required.

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on October 24, 2022, 11:01:28 PM
In 1905 Grand Duke Cyril of Russia and former Grand Duchess Victoria Melita of Hesse and by Rhine wed without the formal approval of King Edward VII of England, as the Royal Marriages act of 1772 would have required.

Yes, well she was divorced (from Ernie of Hesse) and the couple were first cousins which was forbidden by the Russian Orthodox Church as well (eventually marrying at Tergensee) so there were several things going on there, of which asking formal permission from Melita?s Uncle Edward probably came way down the list.

LouisFerdinand

Before Pope Pius VI's visit to Austria in 1782, Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II instructed some Austrian monasteries to be closed.

LouisFerdinand

King Afonso Henriques of Portugal   
King Afonso I of Portugfal was the first monarch of the Iberian Peninsula to join forces with the Knights Templar.   
Afonso of Portugal and the Knights Templar - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

Was Emperor Maximilian of Mexico's throne in danger because he was viewed as a French puppet?   

:xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19:

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on November 29, 2022, 09:13:41 PM
Was Emperor Maximilian of Mexico's throne in danger because he was viewed as a French puppet?   

:xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19:

Well, I happen to think that Maximilian was a pawn of the French Emperor Napoleon III anyway and got himself into danger by agreeing to the mad plan of the French to install him on the Mexican throne. I think it was a doomed enterprise from the beginning. The US Govt, though involved in a Civil War were determined to enforce the Monroe doctrine about the interference of foreign powers in the Americas, the Juarez administration and many other Mexican republicans didn?t want him there while most Mexican peasants were indifferent.

It needn?t have ended with his death but Maximilian should have listened to his own voice of reason and less to his wife and the French. Once Napoleon realised that the US may well invade he ordered his troops out. They should have taken him with them!  And that little adventure in Mexico put more than the Mexican throne in danger. Sedan was only a few years into the future!

LouisFerdinand

Queen Isabella II holding an open copy of the 1812 Cadiz Constitution   
Mary Evans Isabella II (1830-1904). Queen of Spain (1833-1868). 10683624   

:xmas6: :xmas6: :xmas6: :xmas6: :xmas6: :xmas6: :xmas6: :xmas6: :xmas6: :xmas6: :xmas6: :xmas6:

Curryong

A YouTube video on a rather obscure but quite important King of Anglo Saxon England, Edward the Elder.

King Edward the Elder - The Architect of Medieval England (899-924 AD) - YouTube

Nightowl

I very much disagree with the title of that article for Edward the Elder was the son of Alfred the Great who worked all his life after becoming king to get rid of the Danes and make England whole as one country. I did some research on Alfred the Great after watching a great series of early England on the TV and that brought him to my attention so that I wanted to know more about him and his family.  He had a great daughter also who has gotten lost in time and she was a warrior in her own right.  That was the beginning of England not just Edward the Elder.

Curryong

Quote from: Nightowl on December 20, 2022, 07:01:22 AM
I very much disagree with the title of that article for Edward the Elder was the son of Alfred the Great who worked all his life after becoming king to get rid of the Danes and make England whole as one country. I did some research on Alfred the Great after watching a great series of early England on the TV and that brought him to my attention so that I wanted to know more about him and his family.  He had a great daughter also who has gotten lost in time and she was a warrior in her own right.  That was the beginning of England not just Edward the Elder.

Yes, Edward the Elder had quite a few daughters who became nuns or lay sisters and the eldest daughter was canonised and became St Edith. Another became St Edburga. Other daughters were married, one, Edgiva, to the King of France. Edhilda?s son became Hugh King of France. Athelstan succeeded his father Edward but never married or had children, unusual for those times! Certainly not like his father!

Nightowl

Sorry for that mistake, I was referring to Alfred the Great's daughter, can't spell her name yet she was a very strong woman who fought the Danes and it was she that got lost in time.  I bought couple of books on her recently also.  I like this time period of the country developing into a whole and how it survived till now.   Royals back there were not rich in material wealth like later in the history of the country.  They barely survived winter let alone the Danes.  I think back then they the royals and the people were of very strong stock as they say.

Curryong

I thought Edward had a daughter who was known as Lady of the Mercians because she had married the ruler of Mercia. I can?t remember much about her only that she helped her husband and people in every way possible, was greatly admired and was a very strong woman.

I suppose in those days a lot of things depended on having a good harvest each year, and of course until the Agricultural Revolution of the 18th.century all the animals like pigs, cows etc were slaughtered in the autumn because there was no fodder for them. And the Danes just plundered England so many times. Life was certainly very short and not particularly sweet then.

Nightowl

Yes, that is the daughter I was referring to, she was a very strong woman in her own right and led warriors into battle.....I like her as one of my favorite women in ancient history.  Oh times back then, so many deaths early in life, I read somewhere that 40 was an old age then...and also that Alfred had what the medical profession today calls Crones Disease.   Back then nobody had even proper health habits like washing yourself daily.  Life was very hard and difficult for everyone.  Not something I don't think I could survive for sure....Hot and cold running water and flushing toilets are a must have for me.....

Curryong

Quote from: Nightowl on December 20, 2022, 02:15:55 PM
Yes, that is the daughter I was referring to, she was a very strong woman in her own right and led warriors into battle.....I like her as one of my favorite women in ancient history.  Oh times back then, so many deaths early in life, I read somewhere that 40 was an old age then...and also that Alfred had what the medical profession today calls Crones Disease.   Back then nobody had even proper health habits like washing yourself daily.  Life was very hard and difficult for everyone.  Not something I don't think I could survive for sure....Hot and cold running water and flushing toilets are a must have for me.....

Yes, right down to the later 19th century people led much shorter, more dangerous lives than they do today. I?ve always said that if time travel ever came in (lol) I wouldn?t bother staying for too long anywhere earlier than about 1850. The thought that any accident to do with horses or carts or a fall resulting in a broken leg could kill you would be terrible, and I don?t really think a quick wash from a bucket or going to the toilet outside or in a chamber pot would do it for me.

LouisFerdinand

Charles XIV was referred to as "King of Sweden and Norway".     
In matters relating to Norway, Oscar I was referred to as "King of Norway and Sweden".   

:xmas12: :xmas12: :xmas12: :xmas12:

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Infante Carlos of Portugal (1716-1736) was the son of King John V of Portugal.     
Infante Carlos played a guitar.   

:romeo: :romeo: :romeo: :romeo: :romeo: :romeo: :romeo: :romeo: :romeo: :romeo:

LouisFerdinand

How often does a Royal have Samuel as a middle name?   
Prince George August Samuel of Nassau-Idstein (1665-1721) was originally Graf of Nassau-Idstein.