General Chat for the late QEII and the late DoE

Started by marine2109, June 03, 2013, 08:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sara8150

HistoryGirl2

FBI files reveal plot to kill Queen Elizabeth during US trip in 1983 | Queen Elizabeth II | The Guardian

I?m sure there were many such plots against the Queen throughout her reign, and during that turbulent time, it?s hardly surprising.

wannable

Buildings, parks, pubs or businesses cannot be renamed after the late Queen Elizabeth without specific permission, the Cabinet Office has warned.

The name of the late Queen is going to be "closely protected" in terms of how it can be used, says new guidance.

The Cabinet Office says permission for using the late Queen's name will only be "sparingly granted".

An "official national memorial" to the late Queen is expected, says the Cabinet Office.

There are many places and businesses named after historic royal names - including the Queen Victoria pub in BBC TV's EastEnders soap opera.

But official guidance has recently been issued by the Cabinet Office warning about the limits on using modern royal names and titles.

Queen officially opens new Elizabeth Line
In particular there are concerns about ensuring the late Queen's name is only used in "dignified and appropriate" ways.

"The full title of Queen Elizabeth II will continue to be closely protected to preserve the rarity of the honour," says a government spokeswoman.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-66267869

Curryong

Gosh, if those rules had applied in previous centuries at least half the pubs in England wouldn?t be named after various Kings and Queens of England. As for Victoria, people all over GB and the Empire went on the rampage of naming things after her, during her lifetime and after it. Cities, provinces, colonies, States, islands, forests, nature reserves, waterfalls, and literally thousands of streets, avenues, buildings, all over the known world named after her.

TLLK

Quote from: HistoryGirl2 on May 26, 2023, 10:17:44 AM
FBI files reveal plot to kill Queen Elizabeth during US trip in 1983 | Queen Elizabeth II | The Guardian

I?m sure there were many such plots against the Queen throughout her reign, and during that turbulent time, it?s hardly surprising.

I agree. It's only now after her death and a few decades since threats were initially uncovered that the world knows about them.

sara8150

TLLK

I wonder if there will be a memorial to the DoE as well when the one for the late QEII is installed.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on July 25, 2023, 02:36:39 PM
I wonder if there will be a memorial to the DoE as well when the one for the late QEII is installed.

You would hope so. Prince Philip was a stalwart support to her practically all their married life. The Queen may well have struggled with a less interested spouse. Really, in spite of each man having faults (of course) the UK and Commonwealth has been very lucky in both our most recent Prince consorts.

TLLK

Yes I do hope that there will be a statue or something for the DoE. Phillip's great-great-grandfather Albert has many memorials dedicated to him, so I believe that it is fitting that he would have one as well. Though probably not something on the scale of the Albert Hall.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on July 26, 2023, 12:35:29 PM
Yes I do hope that there will be a statue or something for the DoE. Phillip's great-great-grandfather Albert has many memorials dedicated to him, so I believe that it is fitting that he would have one as well. Though probably not something on the scale of the Albert Hall.

I certainly don?t think that anything like the Albert Hall will ever be replicated again (and I realise you?re joking.) Victoria so adored her husband that after his death she was determined to honour him and a huge public Hall was considered admirable. Because she was so venerated in her later years, the majority of M/C Britons backed the project. What the poor thought about it is unknown.

Ive more and more to feeling that statues don?t do much and perhaps some kind of national charitable endeavour in the names of the late Queen and PP would be of more practical use. I don?t know. I think there may possibly be a new important building or new wing dedicated to Elizabeth in London in the next few years, an academy, scientific establishment, research hospital wing, something of that sort.

TLLK

@Curryong-Yes a national charity endeavor would be an excellent way to honor the late QEII and DoE while serving the people of the United Kingdom.

wannable

Rebecca English
@RE_DailyMail

Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee and funeral see the sales of Royal souvenirs soar to a record GBP 25 million last year | Daily Mail Online

Royal Collection Trust

sara8150

Curryong

Quote from: sara8150 on August 22, 2023, 04:10:05 PM
La Touquet airport to be renamed after Queen Elizabeth | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

French airport to be renamed in memory of Queen Elizabeth II ? Royal Central
In late Queen Elizabeth?s honor name King Charles granted but no date will release details till Buckingham Palace will announced

That is a wonderful honour and shows how the late Queen was viewed in Europe I think. Good for France!

Curryong

The last day or so of the late Queen?s life, hour by hour. Some of this is very interesting and sad as well, even if it is the Fail recounting it.

After almost a year since Queen Elizabeth's death aged 96, we look back minute by minute at the day that our beloved monarch died | Daily Mail Online

TLLK

@Curryong -If you have the time, watch the video that is included in the article. It's more or less the same information from the article, but IMO it's more poignant hearing from the reporters/editors on the events of the day.

In the link below, there's an account of Huw Edwards' preparing himself to deliver the announcement of the Queen's death which he did in a most professional and dignified manner IMHO.

Huw Edwards reveals what it was like to announce Queen Elizabeth II's death.

QuoteHuw Edwards, out of vision, is saying: ?We are expecting the news from Balmoral that she?s having treatment or that indeed they are unable to help Her Majesty any more.?

Then Edwards hears in his earpiece: ?The announcement is here. Take your time. Speak when you are ready. Don?t rush.?

News channels around the world switch to the BBC to see Huw Edwards, now in a black tie, say: ?A few moments ago, Buckingham Palace has announced the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. The Palace has just issued this statement: ?The Queen died peacefully at Balmoral this afternoon?.?

Edwards said later: ?When the announcement came, where I thought that I would be terrified, having imagined it over the years, actually I was very calm.?

TLLK

Italy honours Queen Elizabeth II with rare stamp ? Royal Central

QuoteA brand new stamp, showing Queen Elizabeth II in five different decades of her life, has been issued by the Italian Postal Service.

The stamp was released to mark the anniversary of the death of Her Late Majesty.

It is extremely rare for the Italian Postal Service to issue a stamp featuring a non-Italian and the Royal Family immediately thanked them, on social media, for the honour.

wannable

A nice anecdote from Dr. Brian Lang, ex Principle and Vice Chancellor of the University of St. Andrews.  HMQEII overstayed at the graduation garden party to meet and greet other parents and grandparents of graduates. She also when in Edinburg met with Dr. Lang twice, one was for lunch.

Prince William's university graduation party: why the Queen stayed longer than planned - exclusive | HELLO!

wannable

BREAKING: Prince Harry said the late Queen Elizabeth II forced him out of the Kingdom in a court of law.

(Bets are on he will someway write a book about who she really is, which will take away all her legacy)

wannable

A REMINDER TO HARRY:

Buckingham Palace statement on The Duke and Duchess of Sussex
Published 19 February 2021

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have confirmed to Her Majesty The Queen that they will not be returning as working members of The Royal Family. 

Following conversations with The Duke, The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service. The honorary military appointments and Royal patronages held by The Duke and Duchess will therefore be returned to Her Majesty, before being redistributed among working members of The Royal Family.

While all are saddened by their decision, The Duke and Duchess remain much loved members of the family.

Notes to editors:
Following The Duke and Duchess of Sussex?s decision to step away last year as working members of The Royal Family, a 12-month review was agreed.

A decision has now been made after conversations between The Duke of Sussex and Members of The Royal Family.

The military, Commonwealth and Charitable associations which will revert to The Queen are:

The Royal Marines, RAF Honington, Royal Navy Small Ships and Diving.

The Queen's Commonwealth Trust, The Rugby Football Union, The Rugby Football League, The Royal National Theatre and The Association of Commonwealth Universities.

https://www.royal.uk/buckingham-palace-statement-duke-and-duchess-sussex

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on December 07, 2023, 09:46:52 PM
BREAKING: Prince Harry said the late Queen Elizabeth II forced him out of the Kingdom in a court of law.

(Bets are on he will someway write a book about who she really is, which will take away all her legacy)

What Harry really said. Reprinted in a source which is anti-Sussex btw. He stated he ?felt forced? and did not mention his grandmother at all.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/royals/prince-harry-claims-he-and-meghan-markle-felt-forced-to-leave-uk-in-new-court-statement/news-story/9840ae6b1ed052e1dcf7604054387398

The Duke of Sussex submitted a statement on Thursday ? which was read in the High Court on his behalf ? as part of his legal challenge to the Home Office over its decision to downgrade his security protection.

Harry claimed that he and Meghan?s relocation to the United States, widely dubbed as ?Megxit?, came ?with great sadness?.

?It was with great sadness to both of us that my wife and I felt forced to step back from this role and leave the country in 2020,? Harry?s statement read.

?The UK is my home. The UK is central to the heritage of my children and a place I want them to feel at home as much as where they live at the moment in the United States.

?That cannot happen if there is no possibility to keep them safe when they are on UK soil.

?I can?t put my wife in danger like that, and given my experiences in life I?m reluctant to unnecessarily put myself in harm?s way too.?

Nightowl

Quote from: wannable on December 07, 2023, 09:46:52 PM

What the hell.......what next? HM was not tough enough, she should of thrown the 2 idiots in a dungeon under Windsor castle with just a ketchup sandwich and cold water for a few weeks.  Like I said, the Sussex's will never go away, take their titles and they will come out fighting more than ever, no invites to an event, bet they will do something that day to be in the news, They will not give up period,.  No amount of money will ever be enough for them, no amount of fame or billboards ringing their praise will be enough either....they have an empty soul, nothing will ever fill it, not love, not money, not peace, not goodwill, NOTHING.....yet maybe the takeover of William's life and job do the trick.....Jealousy knows no bounds!

wannable

The only official monarch and statements came from her.