General Chat for the late QEII and the late DoE

Started by marine2109, June 03, 2013, 08:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessOfPeace

*To prevent inaccuracies and further speculation, Her Majesty decided that she would let it be known she has had the vaccination,* a royal spokesperson said.

More: BREAKING: The Queen and Prince Philip receive Covid-19 vaccinations ? The Crown Chronicles

TLLK

A wise decision IMO to announce that she and the DoE have had their first dose of the COVID 19 vaccine.

caret-down

QuoteA royal source said the vaccinations were administered on Saturday by a household doctor at Windsor Castle.

The source added the Queen decided to let it be known she had the vaccination to prevent further speculation.

The Queen, 94, and Prince Philip, 99, are among around 1.5 million people in the UK to have had at least one dose of a Covid vaccine so far.

sara8150

Queen and Philip receive their Covid-19 vaccinations | Daily Mail Online

Queen and Prince Philip receive Covid-19 vaccinations - breaking royal news | HELLO!

caret-down
click BBC

COVID-19: Queen and Duke of Edinburgh receive first doses of their coronavirus vaccinations | UK News | Sky News

Guardian article says
QuoteQueen and Duke of Edinburgh receive vaccination

The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have received their Covid-19 vaccinations, joining more than a million people in the UK who have been given the jab.

In an unusual move Buckingham Palace, which rarely comments on the private health matters of the monarch, 94, and her husband, had been given the injection.

It is understood the Queen decided the information should be made public to prevent inaccuracies and further speculation. A Buckingham Palace spokesman said:

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have today received Covid-19 vaccinations.

A royal source confirmed to PA Media that the injections were administered by a royal household doctor at Windsor Castle.

The Queen and Prince Philip have been spending the lockdown in England at Windsor Castle after deciding to have a quiet Christmas at their Berkshire residence and forgo the traditional family gathering at Sandringham.

Queen and Prince Philip receive Covid vaccines - Palace breaks protocol with statement | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

The Queen and Philip receive their Covid-19 vaccinations | ITV News

Queen and Prince Philip receive coronavirus vaccinations at Windsor Castle - Mirror Online

Queen, 94, and Prince Philip, 99, received Covid vaccine at Windsor Castle today, Buckingham Palace announces

BREAKING: The Queen and Prince Philip are vaccinated against Covid-19 ? Royal Central

Double post auto-merged: January 09, 2021, 04:25:40 PM

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip Receive Coronavirus Vaccine | PEOPLE.com

Double post auto-merged: January 09, 2021, 04:58:44 PM

Covid: Why did the Queen decide to share her vaccine injection with the world? | ITV News

Double post auto-merged: January 09, 2021, 06:38:53 PM

The Queen and Prince Philip receive first dose of Covid vaccine | The Queen | The Guardian

Queen sends 'message of hope' by choosing to announce getting 'needed and safe' vaccine | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Double post auto-merged: January 09, 2021, 08:52:59 PM

Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh receive Covid-19 vaccine - CNN

Queen Elizabeth, Prince Philip receive COVID-19 vaccinations

Curryong

Yes, it is indeed. Though I could be cynical and wonder whether in fact both of them were vaccinated much earlier, when the first round was undertaken. I mean, in these things the Royal PR machine is always at full pelt.

It wasn't  for a generation or more for example that the nation first learned that the dying King George V was given a fatal dose of morphine in 1936 in order that the news could be issued to broadsheets rather than later in the day to prevent the BBC and those ghastly penny (tabloid) papers getting it first.

An extreme example, but I do wonder about these things. Like Charles, the Queen and Philip are followers of certain alternative though well established medical techniques, so she probably didn't like being vaccinated very much!

wannable

I'd be cynical if they were both in their 80s, but in the UK it has been widely reported the 90 yearolds received it priority along medical staff.

Macrobug67

I have no issues with a pair of nonagenarians in decent health getting the vaccine.  I know, here in Ontario, they would be first in line as we are trying to get those most vulnerable vaccinated.  And it is good PR and encouragement for compliance to show people in the spotlight and well respected getting the vaccine. 

wannable

They were practically the last ones (reported) in their 90's.  This past week the UK has been vaccinating the in their 80 year olds. I'm not sure WHY less than a handfull of reporters were cynical about the Queen and her Prince vaccinating, when both are 90 year olds!

TLLK

:Jen:

The Queen marks the 69th anniversary of her accession to the throne ? Royal Central

QuoteThe Queen is marking the anniversary of the start of her reign. It is now sixty nine years since she took the throne.

Elizabeth II became Monarch sometime in the early hours of February 6th 1952 when her father, King George VI, died in his sleep. She was in Kenya at the time as she and the Duke of Edinburgh prepared for a royal tour. Prince Philip broke the news of her father?s death to her and she returned to London, as Queen, on February 7th 1952.

Elizabeth II, who was 26 at the time of her accession, was crowned on June 2nd 1953 at Westminster Abbey.

The Queen will spend the anniversary privately, as she always does, as for her it is a time to mark the loss of her father, rather than commemorate the beginning of her own reign. She is currently staying at Windsor Castle with the Duke of Edinburgh.

The rule that began 69 years ago has gone on to be a record breaker. On September 9th 2015, the Queen became the longest ruling Monarch in British history, overtaking her great, great grandmother, Queen Victoria.

In 2022, Elizabeth II will become the first British Sovereign to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee. The UK government has already announced plans to mark the 70th anniversary of the Queen?s reign with four days of events planned for June next year.

For a bit of comparison, here are the three monarchs who currently have had longer reigns than QEII: France-Louis XIV, Thailand-Buhmindol, Lichtenstein-Johann II however it is conceivable that QEII might one day be the world's longest reigning monarch in history.

List of longest-reigning monarchs - Wikipedia

Quote1    Louis XIV     France    5 September 1638    14 May 1643    1 September 1715    26,407    72 years, 110 days    [1]
2    Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX)     Thailand    5 December 1927    9 June 1946    13 October 2016    25,694    70 years, 126 days    [2]
3    Johann II     Liechtenstein    5 October 1840    12 November 1858    11 February 1929    25,658    70 years, 91 days

Curryong

Yes, one year to go before Elizabeth's Platinum Jubilee. Louis XIV was especially notable for length of reign and lifetime, even if he did succeed his father when he was very young. Not too many people lived into their 70s in the 18th century!

LouisFerdinand

wannable

I thought she didn't want anymore...like the end is near, don't want to leave burden to anyone.

Where did I read the years ago corgi story. From 8 to 7 to 6. :hmm:

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: wannable on March 05, 2021, 03:25:03 AM
I thought she didn't want anymore...like the end is near, don't want to leave burden to anyone.

Where did I read the years ago corgi story. From 8 to 7 to 6. :hmm:
I hope we hear more about the puppies!  A few years ago the Palace announced there would be no additional dogs because,  being elderly, she was afraid she would trip and fall over them.  That is a legitimate concern and the practical step for her to take, but in the end someone saw how much this dog lover just loves having her dogs. Probably just what she needs right now! 

corydora

I am glad she has the pups to comfort her. Dogs are uniquely qualified for that task.
Recycle yourself - Be an Organ Donor

TLLK

I agree @corydora that the new pups will definitely be a comfort to HM in the coming days, weeks and months.

wannable

The Queen was today seen for the first time since Prince Philip's funeral, as she left her Windsor home behind the wheel of a green Jaguar.

The monarch, 94, was pictured this afternoon driving out of the gates of Windsor Castle, where she had stayed the night after the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral yesterday.

She was seen wearing a floral scarf over her hair, and with her beloved dogs

Good, many a times, a change of scenery helps.

Macrobug67

What a fabulous video between Sir David Attenborough and Queen Elizabeth.

TLLK

A truly delightful conversation between two contemporaries and a rare opportunity to hear HM the Queen casually chatting with someone. Glad that the sundial was moved to a sunnier location. :D

sara8150

Macrobug67

This entire thread has been about Victoria.  So I'm going to move it over to her thread.  I'll leave the original post here in case people want to talk about QE.

Continue chattering here Queen Victoria: Articles & General Chat

Princess Cassandra

Somehow I don't see this trip as going to a place to mourn, or a sad trip at all.  She isn't a person to wrap herself in misery; she just acknowledges the situation and goes forward. I hope she is going because she loves it there and wants to relax and recharge after such a horrendous time.  I think she is also one who will really rejoice as the COVID restrictions relax.

TudorQueen

Sadly one of the puppies the queen was given when Philip was ill,  has passed away. Fergus.

Queen suffers fresh heartache after death of new dorgi puppy Fergus given to her when Prince Philip fell ill

I remember the queen saying a few years ago that she wouldn't get new dogs. It seemed such a comfort though for her to get the puppies when Philip was ill and especially after he died. How tragic one has died and soon after her husband.

Macrobug67

That?s so sad.  She has always loved her dogs.

Amabel2

very unlucky.  Perhaps it wasn't wise to get new pups,