The Sussexes' relationship with the press, tabloids, and social media.

Started by Nightowl, January 25, 2023, 07:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessOfPeace

Meghan isn't giving interviews about her Suit days because no one cares. Harry and Meghan have nothing to offer but dishing on the BRF. Even big time liberal publications in America are saying it's all just repetitive by now.

It'll be interesting to see what else they have to offer going forward.

M&H need the press just as much as the BRF. The difference is the BRF accepts criticism, H&M seem to want nothing but praise.

HistoryGirl2

But maybe they don?t hate it so much? I think everyone likes good press. I think the both of them have a healthy ego and love being in the news. It?s the negative parts they have a problem with. And I don?t think that?s necessarily unique. There?s always been a media magnet in the modern history of the family?until someone new came along and took the spotlight. That will eventually happen with them. When? Not sure. It won?t be Will and Kate or Charles/Camilla. They?re meant to be the boring ones. The never put a foot wrong ones.

Maybe the kids will do it. Diana never would have been known had it not been for the RF. That?s not to say she couldn?t charm the pants off of anyone or was uninteresting in her own right, but this sort of attention can only come from being associated with something that has the allure of royalty.

You also can?t undo it. Diana didn?t stop being famous when she lost her title and Meghan and Harry won?t stop being famous without theirs either. It would be silly to take them away. Not give out any new ones to the family? That I would agree with, but not because of anything they?ve done. More because I believe the slimmer a monarchy, the better.

I think American media loved the idea of them being in America because they?ve always been sort of enamored with the idea of royalty. They love the pomp and the tradition because it sells. Meghan was an actress before and good on her for making a career of it, but her worldwide fame came from her marriage to Harry, and Harry can thank the circumstances of his birth for any attention he receives. They?ll likely be famous in America forever.

In the UK, there will probably be a bit of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor vibe. The relatives that everyone knows, but carry a bit of scandal with them, too. I don?t think Meghan cares about that because she doesn?t have a connection with Britain, nor should she as her memories there weren?t happy ones. But I can?t help wondering about Harry. That is the country of his birth, and though he may hate the media there, I can?t help but think that maybe it might make him a bit sad to know he?s not popular there anymore, as he used to one of the most popular royals in the family.

changemhysoul

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on January 27, 2023, 09:01:54 PM
Meghan isn't giving interviews about her Suit days because no one cares. Harry and Meghan have nothing to offer but dishing on the BRF. Even big time liberal publications in America are saying it's all just repetitive by now.

It'll be interesting to see what else they have to offer going forward.

M&H need the press just as much as the BRF. The difference is the BRF accepts criticism, H&M seem to want nothing but praise.

They said they welcome criticism, they don't welcome hate.

There have been a lot of critical articles about them, that they haven't responded too or have issue with. The tabloids they refuse to interact with the hateful, racist ones. That aside, they haven't stone-walled any other outlets, even ones I think they should.

And it's true, she's not giving interviews about her Suits days, but also wasn't her during her time on Suits that she was feeling suicidal, when she needed help, it was her production company that paid for security. It wasn't her time during Suits in which she was dragged threw the mud and had attacks against her, no that happened during the BRF so yeah, that's what she would talk about. That doesn't change the fact that she had her own, in her own right before marrying into the family.

Also, they have offered much outside of the BRF, if people don't care or think it's not enough, that's a different story. They've done a few projects, non BRF related and there are as many think pieces from American publications, supporting them. Which is fine, I don't think all should support them but just because there are some that say it's repetitive, doesn't mean there aren't those who are doing the same, what matters is the personal weight we give to them.

I also never said H&M don't need the press, I said that they don't need the BRF has much as people think but I also accepted the fact that it helps. I've also repeatedly stated that they should find a balance with the media while understanding why they have a distrust. The British media at least. I also said they need to be active on social media to promote their projects and etc because they do, do non-BRF related things but what's written about, is the drama and they should take steps to have the focus on their projects.

Quote from: HistoryGirl2 on January 27, 2023, 09:08:20 PM
But maybe they don?t hate it so much? I think everyone likes good press. I think the both of them have a healthy ego and love being in the news. It?s the negative parts they have a problem with. And I don?t think that?s necessarily unique. There?s always been a media magnet in the modern history of the family?until someone new came along and took the spotlight. That will eventually happen with them. When? Not sure. It won?t be Will and Kate or Charles/Camilla. They?re meant to be the boring ones. The never put a foot wrong ones.

Maybe the kids will do it. Diana never would have been known had it not been for the RF. That?s not to say she couldn?t charm the pants off of anyone or was uninteresting in her own right, but this sort of attention can only come from being associated with something that has the allure of royalty.

You also can?t undo it. Diana didn?t stop being famous when she lost her title and Meghan and Harry won?t stop being famous without theirs either. It would be silly to take them away. Not give out any new ones to the family? That I would agree with, but not because of anything they?ve done. More because I believe the slimmer a monarchy, the better.

I think American media loved the idea of them being in America because they?ve always been sort of enamored with the idea of royalty. They love the pomp and the tradition because it sells. Meghan was an actress before and good on her for making a career of it, but her worldwide fame came from her marriage to Harry, and Harry can thank the circumstances of his birth for any attention he receives. They?ll likely be famous in America forever.

In the UK, there will probably be a bit of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor vibe. The relatives that everyone knows, but carry a bit of scandal with them, too. I don?t think Meghan cares about that because she doesn?t have a connection with Britain, nor should she as her memories there weren?t happy ones. But I can?t help wondering about Harry. That is the country of his birth, and though he may hate the media there, I can?t help but think that maybe it might make him a bit sad to know he?s not popular there anymore, as he used to one of the most popular royals in the family.

I do agree that Harry is most likely sad, I think in some interviews he's said as much. It's gotta sting but I'm sure he's happy to take that hit if it means his wife and kids are safe but it does have to sting to some level.

Curryong

Quote from: HistoryGirl2 on January 27, 2023, 01:04:37 PM
Yes, but are the allegations true? I can?t speak for anyone else, but that?s really what matters to me personally. If he released that information as an attempt to stop the Oprah interview then it would seem he did it as an attempt to protect the monarchy?s reputation (his job) against two people who were about to say that they were the victims of a campaign when in the view of the household, they were actually the aggressors.

If Hollywoodland and the Firm have anything in common, it?s the importance of PR. The game is played by all, Meghan and Harry included. But my main concern is what is the actual truth. I would like the staff to be able to speak, so it can be settled, but that?ll likely never happen.

No, it is never likely to happen as that Inquiry?s results will be held tighter than a raft to a drowning man. The main point of the Inquiry however, as was emphasised at the time, was NOT the bullying allegations per se but to establish a network in which any future allegations, whether they were about a fellow staff member, a Senior member of the Household, or a principal (ie member of the RF) would be dealt with from then on in a prompt, fair and clear way. I?ve long said that staff members may well have come forward to that Inquiry about other members of the Household and other members of the RF, like Andrew, in addition to H and M.

One of the reasons that H+M haven?t sued Low is because of that Inquiry, imo. I do think the Sussexes aren?t going to sue mainly due to the fact that they haven?t been able to get their hands on a copy of that Inquiry, even though they asked to appear at it in order to rebut whatever accusations there were against them. A bit difficult to enter a law suit against Low when the results of what he was writing about have been tucked away never to see the light of day. And to this day they are unproven allegations against the Sussexes.

As for Knauf?s behaviour, it is not the conduct expected of a senior member of any Royal Household to be communicating in presumed secret with any journalist of any newspaper about the reported behaviour of any member(s) of the RF. And, what is more important, Knauf would not have attempted to do this (or later to have given further information in Meghan?s court case,) without the express permission beforehand of his employer. As two of his employers at the time the supposed bullying took place were the Sussexes, they are out of the picture.

However, Knauf?s employer at the time of the e mails being sent was the Duke of Cambridge.

Therefore the Duke of Cambridge gave permission to one of his most senior staff to send reports of allegations of bullying about his brother and sister in law to a journalist. That included emails to another senior member of the Royal Household, an internal communication that was never supposed to be seen by anyone else. What does that say about Knauf?s ethics, his loyalties and his discretion as a senior civil servant? Not much imo, and the less said about William?s behaviour in the matter the better.

Knauf has been given a senior Order by William, and kept on as an employee in various positions by the Cambridges since the bullying story broke. Low is a journalist and of course he?s going to crow about all the info he received which enabled him to write articles and a book. Has he been asked by anyone in his interviews in the US about the probity and ethics of Knauf, and of the then Duke of Cambridge in enabling him to have that insider information? Obviously not!

HistoryGirl2

Well, Harry and Meghan would be poised to know the truth of those allegations regardless of whether they?ve read the inquiry or not. Low?s allegations are explicitly stated in his book. And if ethics are being brought to the equation, I?m not sure that the person who publishes private conversations in a book for the world to see would have a leg to stand on.

As I?ve said, I don?t know the truth of what happened because I wasn?t there. I would like to hear it from the staff members themselves, but that won?t be happening anytime soon. However, the job of PR staff that work for the palace is to defend the monarchy. Harry and Meghan were about to state claims that they?d been bullied and thrown under the bus by palace staff. However, the recollections of that staff seem to vary as to who exactly the bullies in this scenario were.

This does, however, open up another interesting idea that maybe palace staff was leaking unfavorable stories about them to the media, but not because, as Harry believes, they secretly wanted to make William look good but because they actually did have a problem with the conduct of Harry and Meghan.

Curryong

Quote from: HistoryGirl2 on January 28, 2023, 02:55:29 AM
Well, Harry and Meghan would be poised to know the truth of those allegations regardless of whether they?ve read the inquiry or not. Low?s allegations are explicitly stated in his book. And if ethics are being brought to the equation, I?m not sure that the person who publishes private conversations in a book for the world to see would have a leg to stand on.

As I?ve said, I don?t know the truth of what happened because I wasn?t there. I would like to hear it from the staff members themselves, but that won?t be happening anytime soon. However, the job of PR staff that work for the palace is to defend the monarchy. Harry and Meghan were about to state claims that they?d been bullied and thrown under the bus by palace staff. However, the recollections of that staff seem to vary as to who exactly the bullies in this scenario were.

This does, however, open up another interesting idea that maybe palace staff was leaking unfavorable stories about them to the media, but not because, as Harry believes, they secretly wanted to make William look good but because they actually did have a problem with the conduct of Harry and Meghan.

The Palace didn?t know what was going to come out in the Oprah interview. Everything was kept quiet, certainly during the time that the emails were being exchanged. Rather than hide behind a journalist, exchanging secret emails  I believe that it would have been far more honourable for the Palace PR to have issued a bald statement itself stating that bullying had been alleged and it and ways to deal with it in the future would be organised appropriately to everyone?s satisfaction independently. After all, Low wasn?t called as a witness to the Inquiry and didn?t know what went on at that investigation.

We will have to disagree with our views on Knauf?s conduct. I would certainly hope that if in the future Jason is employed somewhere where discretion is paramount, he won?t be exchanging emails to journalists about the behavior of any of his bosses he disapproves of.

HistoryGirl2

That interview was billed as a tell-all and I don?t think anyone was naive enough to think otherwise. But what I do appreciate most about Low is that he focuses his attention on the people doing actual work and tries to explain what their job is and how tricky it can be. I can?t speak to the veracity of every complaint, but if even 1/3 of it is true, I am glad someone was trying to stand up for the employees that were being mistreated, and the same goes for William.

Furthermore, I sincerely hope that inquiry has led to a proper channel to report instances of abuse by any royal or employee.

TLLK

I'm sharing this review of Spare in this thread as it is one of the few that I've read that focuses heavily upon Prince Harry's hyper-fixation with initially the press and later includes social media and with suggestions as to how it affects his mental/emotional health. Prince Harry also seems to be under the impression that his father and possibly his late grandmother the Queen had the power to quash negative stories from appearing in publications ie: Harry's early use of marijuana.
IMO it is a worthwhile read.

Prince Angry | City Journal

QuoteSpare, Prince Harry?s account of life inside Britain?s Royal Family, reads like can?t-put it-down fiction: mostly, historical fiction and Karl Ove Knausgaard-style autofiction, with a war story and a romance novel thrown in. Spare passes the only real test of any book: Is it a page turner? Yes. You want to know what happens next, even though, most of the time, you already know. The problem for Harry is that his life isn?t fiction, and he has no immediate prospect of relinquishing the hatred that has gnawed through his life: his loathing of the British press.

The main theme is purportedly how Harry?s love for his new princess, Meghan Markle, whom he met in 2016 and married in 2018, helped him overcome his love for his ?disappeared? princess?his mother, Diana. ?The eternal power of love over grief,? as the book jacket states. Despite the publisher?s best efforts to make this a positive book, though, the real theme is the eternal power of hatred.   :no: In case you miss the point, Harry calls reporters and photographers ?a dreadful mob of dweebs and crones and cut-rate criminals and clinically diagnosable sadists.?

The teen pot use  story and its impact on Harry's view of the press.

Quoten Harry?s mind, the press, and only the press, killed Diana, and his rage bleeds into his relationship with the rest of his family. This impulse starts soon after Diana?s death. An editor??an infected pustule on the arse of humanity??at the News of the World tabloid informs the palace that it will publish a story about the then-teenaged Harry?s pot use and asks for a comment. Harry?s reaction is understandable for a teen. He thinks his father is all-powerful and can save him from embarrassment. ?Pa will do something. Stop her,? he tells an aide.

Instead, in Harry?s view, Charles betrays him by ?going full Neville Chamberlain? and deciding to ?appease the editor and also bolster the sagging reputation of Pa. No more the unfaithful husband, Pa would now . . . be presented to the world as the harried single dad coping with a drug-addled child. . . . I felt heartbroken at the idea that this had been partly the work of my own family, my own father and future stepmother? (Camilla Parker Bowles, now the Queen Consort). ?They?d abetted this nonsense. . . . To make their own lives a bit easier.?

Yet, it?s hard to see what Charles should have done differently. Strip the hyperbole away, and Charles chose the least-worst of several choices. Despite Harry?s belief, Charles could not have killed the story. Today, to be sure, a much-chastened British tabloid press, humbled after the mid-2000s phone-hacking scandal that led to the News of the World?s demise, would not go after the behavior of a minor child. But this story was more than two decades ago. Even the BBC and the New York Times thought the topic worthy.

Charles could have made no statement, making it seem that he was indifferent to his bereaved child?s drug abuse. He could have denied the story, daring the paper to hunt for photos. Instead, he did what still appears the best option: acknowledge that the story was true and assure the paper that the family was acting responsibly, by counseling Harry on the dangers of drug use.

Article covers the  negative stories that have impacted Harry's family over the years: Charles/Camilla-"tampon gate," Catherine-Middletons "cashing in," intrusive press stalking her, William/Harry/Catherine-phone hacking scandal. Press later bound to new practice standards.
This next portion is very eye opening and sad as Harry appears to be the one who encourages Meghan to begin reading press and social media that she'd initially ignored. He even wakes her up to tell her about another story.  :no: I'm stunned that he doesn't seem to comprehend that his actions are unintentionally hurting his wife.
QuoteNone of this was right, and none of this was, or is, good journalism. Moreover, some practices would be forbidden today by standards enacted after the phone-hacking scandal. Even without such new standards, members of the public today, mindful of the fact that they and their own children may be just a few digital photos or tweets away from a mini-scandal that could cost them their job or reputation, are more sympathetic to famous people whose private conversations or photos have been stolen or sold (though they still love juicy gossip, true or false, something that will never change).

Still, condemning the press doesn?t make it disappear. Thus, from childhood through middle adulthood, Harry?s family?s counsel is sensible. ?Don?t read it, darling boy,? came the sage advice from his father, appears nearly a dozen times in the text. Harry won?t, or can?t, take this advice. He reads the papers, and then the Internet, and eventually anonymous social-media comments, too.

He encourages unhealthy habits in his soon-to-be wife. Meghan herself greets her star turn in the tabloids by ignoring it. ?As a rule, Meg wasn?t looking at the internet,? Harry writes. ?She wanted to protect herself.? But this approach was ?not sustainable if we were going to wage a battle. . . . I needed to know . . . and that meant asking her every few hours about something . . . that had appeared online,? until ?she?d often begin to cry.? He even wakes her up to inform her of fresh bad ink.

HistoryGirl2

Thanks for the post, @TLLK! The most interesting passage for me:

?He encourages unhealthy habits in his soon-to-be wife. Meghan herself greets her star turn in the tabloids by ignoring it. ?As a rule, Meg wasn?t looking at the internet,? Harry writes. ?She wanted to protect herself.? But this approach was ?not sustainable if we were going to wage a battle. . . . I needed to know . . . and that meant asking her every few hours about something . . . that had appeared online,? until ?she?d often begin to cry.? He even wakes her up to inform her of fresh bad ink.?

What??? Why would he do something like this? I have my own opinions about Meghan, but I?ve always thought that she was unfairly portrayed as the schemer who concocted this whole break from the monarchy. I always felt Harry was the main driver in that and these words really do show what an unhealthy mental state he is in.

Amabel2

Do you really beleive Meghan wasn't already looking for stories about herself on the Net?

TLLK

Quote from: Amabel2 on January 28, 2023, 01:50:49 PM
Do you really beleive Meghan wasn't already looking for stories about herself on the Net?

I don't believe that  initially she was searching out everything especially those stories that were negative.

TLLK

Quote from: HistoryGirl2 on January 28, 2023, 01:46:23 PM
Thanks for the post, @TLLK! The most interesting passage for me:

?He encourages unhealthy habits in his soon-to-be wife. Meghan herself greets her star turn in the tabloids by ignoring it. ?As a rule, Meg wasn?t looking at the internet,? Harry writes. ?She wanted to protect herself.? But this approach was ?not sustainable if we were going to wage a battle. . . . I needed to know . . . and that meant asking her every few hours about something . . . that had appeared online,? until ?she?d often begin to cry.? He even wakes her up to inform her of fresh bad ink.?

What??? Why would he do something like this? I have my own opinions about Meghan, but I?ve always thought that she was unfairly portrayed as the schemer who concocted this whole break from the monarchy. I always felt Harry was the main driver in that and these words really do show what an unhealthy mental state he is in.

@HistoryGirl2 -The quoted portion where Harry more or less admits to involving Meghan to "wage battle" is one of the saddest statements I've read about their relationship. I understand that Harry might believe that he's doing something proactive to protect Meghan, but it seems to me that he's just fueled an unhealthy obsession. Harry is a prince of the United Kingdom, not  Lichtenstein, Thailand, Jordan, Morocco or a Gulf State where the reigning/ruling families wield far more influence and actual power than in the majority of European monarchies where free speech is a more or less a constitutional right that the monarchy must be seen as upholding.

Harry had a communications team which IMO is where his grandmother/father are showing support by permitting him to have it and providing funding for it,  where he did make an impactful statement to object to the coverage of his then girlfriend Meghan.  IMHO it was the right step to take at the beginning of their relationship. However it would be unsustainable and weakened to object to every  criticial story especially those that were found to be true.   The sound advice to stop searching and reading those stories was sadly dismissed or ignored.

Note-The author is unaware that the "palace" that responds to the Tatler story about Catherine is actually Kensington Palace  (William/Catherine) and not Buckingham Palace (Elizabeth II) or Clarence House (Charles).

Amabel2

Quote from: TLLK on January 28, 2023, 01:52:39 PM
I don't believe that  initially she was searching out everything especially those stories that were negative.
Tolerably sure she was looking for stories, and if you do that, you are bound to find negative ones.  I think she's thin skinned and they upset her, but Im sure that once she became a royal girlfriend someone on H's staff would have warned her not to look for stuff about herself on the internet or papers.

TLLK

Quote from: Amabel2 on January 28, 2023, 02:17:15 PM
Tolerably sure she was looking for stories, and if you do that, you are bound to find negative ones.  I think she's thin skinned and they upset her, but Im sure that once she became a royal girlfriend someone on H's staff would have warned her not to look for stuff about herself on the internet or papers.

Yes they would have, but if you're living with the person who is completely and admittedly ignoring that advice. Someone who is taking the step to wake you up to share yet more critical/negative stories it will be difficult to escape that atmosphere and it will impact your own mental/emotional health.

HistoryGirl2

It seems so. How sad. I was watching an interview with Low where he quotes Samantha Cohen (used to work on the Queen?s team and then moved to the Sussex team) likens working for Harry and Meghan as working for a couple of teenagers. That description seems apt. This mentality is one of a high schooler who pays attention to every bit of gossip out there. It?s such detrimental thinking.

HistoryGirl2

I definitely think they should receive an invitation. I can?t say it would be comfortable from their point of view.

Curryong

Hopefully Harry and his father could reconcile. I feel doubtful about any talks between William and Harry going well, with William?s hot temper and Harry?s resentments coming into play. But I do think and feel that there is still a great depth of love between father and son that could be worked on. The Sussexes might come back after the Coronation in the summer for a private visit to Birkhall. We?ll see.

PrincessOfPeace

Omid Scobie has poured cold water on the idea of a reconciliation before the coronation. Harry has a list of demands he says need to be met before any talks can go forward, including an apology.

We'd only know about talks if it was leaked to the press and supposedly that's one of Harry's pet peeves.

Nightowl

I seriously doubt there will ever be a reconciliation between all members of the royal family as I have come to the conclusion from reading the Book that as for Harry......*it must be his way or no way at all*.  Everything must go according to what he wants when he wants it..and that is not going to happen.  I was thinking earlier about a mediator in helping who does not work for either party or know any royal family members, yet now I am not sure that would even work because of the demand that everything has to be according to what Harry wants and first is an apology to Meghan.......NOT going to happen as both sides need to apologizes to each other and no way will Harry or Meghan ever say they are sorry.  One thing I don't get is Harry knew the royal family does not control the media yet somehow he seems to think they do.  Right now in viewing how Harry is, he is so far out of reach for anyone to talk to him about any issue in life if he does not want to hear it......Druggies have a way of blocking out the world around them and living in their own tiny bubble with only their wants and needs come first as my friend who is a professional in the mental health profession says.  I see a train wreck coming slowly down the tracks and that is very sad as Harry had so much to offer and his own insecurities took over and look what is happening now.

Amabel2

I dont think there will be a real reconciliation because Harrys made it so plain that he has long standing grievances against his father and brother and in general against the RF.  He has shown such dislike for his royal role that its hard to see any real relationship ever coming about again.
Charles must know that he ca't trust him.. and if they do get togehter again conversation will be confined to very neutral subjects and probalby Meghan wont be all that welcome

HistoryGirl2

The tabloids would have a field day if they returned. I think Charles wants the day to be focused on his coronation, but I don?t think that would be possible if they attended. I still believe an invitation should be sent, but one would hope they had the good grace to not attend, both for his father?s sake and to be consistent with their own words.

Amabel2

I doubt if Harry will refrain from coming out of any respectful feeling towards his father.  If he doesnt come its because he wont be too sure if he will be welcome in the UK with the population and I suspect that many of the RF, particularly William are not likely to be pleased to see him either.  I think that wiliam will take years to forgive his brother who has shown such spite against him.

wannable

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on January 29, 2023, 02:30:59 AM
Omid Scobie has poured cold water on the idea of a reconciliation before the coronation. Harry has a list of demands he says need to be met before any talks can go forward, including an apology.

We'd only know about talks if it was leaked to the press and supposedly that's one of Harry's pet peeves.

The way Omid treats reconciliation demands towards the Coronation is delusions of grandeur, believing Harry is above it and them all.

The coronation is a 100% state funded, state event, not a family event. Whilst the King, William the organizer 1/3 has a say representing the British Royals, the COE and especially the state (PM and parliament) the other 2/3 have the last say. 

After saying that, Charles will never will place a individual over the Constitutional Monarchy.

Include in the list Gayle King who also spoke very recently of Harry's comment of a required public apology, she is recommending the King to do so.  :hehe:

HistoryGirl2

Quote from: Amabel2 on January 29, 2023, 03:27:29 PM
I doubt if Harry will refrain from coming out of any respectful feeling towards his father.  If he doesnt come its because he wont be too sure if he will be welcome in the UK with the population and I suspect that many of the RF, particularly William are not likely to be pleased to see him either.  I think that wiliam will take years to forgive his brother who has shown such spite against him.

I agree with this and that?s partially what I meant about their own words. Their ?freedom flight? from the UK and their awful, critical media in their eyes would lead me to believe they wouldn?t wanna come back for a big royal event, especially given the things they said about the royals themselves. Not sure why they would wanna be there other than for attention.

And I think there is a possibility that William will feign reconciliation for the sake of image. He doesn?t have to talk to his brother while he?s there, nor do I believe he would. Barring some catastrophe, I don?t think William will ever truly be able to forgive him and have things be like they were. However, this doesn?t mean that they can?t be cordial in public.

Amabel2

Of course they will be polite in public, but If they have any private conversations at all, I suspect that William will be pretty icy or downright sharp with his brother after the shenanigans of the past few weeks. Probably other royals will give him a bit of a tongue lashing as well.  Harry will probably want to come so as to be seen, just like he claimed that he talked by Zoom to Philip and the queen back a year or 2 ago. He has to walk a fine line between criticising his family adn reminding viewers that he IS a royal prince and calls the King Pa.
I'd say that Harry might well come, the things that would stop him are fears of security risks, or fears that his family might be very chilly and unwelcoming to him, away from the cameras.