Royal Engagement Rings

Started by Alixxx, November 14, 2010, 05:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alixxx

The Sapphires

Left to Right:  Diana, Princess of Wales; Tatiana Blatnik; Marie Chantal, Princess Pavlos; Princess Anne (from her first husband)

The Rubies

Top Row, Left to Right:  Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Queen Sonja (Sonja gave hers to Haakon when he proposed to Mette-Marit); Sarah, Duchess of York; Princess Mathilde; Crown Princess Mary
Bottom Row, Left to Right:  Princess Diana of Orléans; Clotilde, Princess of Venice and Piedmont; Princess Alexandra, now Countess of Frederiksborg (from her first marriage to Prince Joachim); Princess Märtha Louise

Other/Multiple Coloured Stones

Left to Right: Princess Marie (Joachim's second wife); Princess Máxima; Wallis, Duchess of Windsor

The Diamonds; Small to Average size

Left to Right:  Princess Madeleine (it may have been given back now, but it was nice while it lasted); Crown Princess Victoria; Princess Alexia of Greece and Denmark; Princess Nathalie of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleberg; Lady Sarah Chatto

The Diamonds: Medium to Large

Left to Right:  Queen Elizabeth; Sophie, Countess of Wessex; Autumn Philips; Princess Letizia; Queen Beatrix

The Diamonds: Very to Ridiculously Large

Top, Left to Right:  Queen Margrethe; Princess Grace; Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall
Bottom, Left to Right:  Crown Princess Sarah of Brunei; Princess Soraya of Iran; Queen Saleha of Brunei; Queen Paola of the Belgians

My personal favourites are Autumn Kelly's and Grace Kelly's (the two Kelly's....what a coincidence :happy:) although I do think Grace's ring is too large but I LOVE the emerald cut of the diamond.

Ironic that none of the princesses seemed to have chosen a princess cut diamond. :P So...what do you guys think and what are your personal favourites?

Thanks to The Royal Order of Splendor blog.

royalwatcher05

I like
pr. Madeleine ( though I am also sure its been given back or sold on ebay)  It seem so classic.
I like Queen Beatrix ...not that is my favorite, but i feel it suites her  ( hope that is the correct spelling) and reminds me of her hats lol. Also very much like Pr. Maxima's ring and finally  Autumn Kelly's was simple and beautiful and finally  Clotilde's ring. Which surprised me as i am not a fan of ruby engagement rings, but I love how it was designed.   

Lila the Flirt

The size of Diana's sapphire fit her finger perfectly. :D If that had been a diamond... :gawk:

In the average size range, Autumn's is nice. I like Queen Margrethe's. It's unique. Anyone else notice the big ones are mostly emeralds? Imagine the carats being round solitaires!! :hearts:

Flirt's the name, flirtin's my game :lila:

Lindelle

Autumns is my favourite too.

I thought it amusing there is a Prince Charles and Princess Diana of Orleans!

Trudie

I think the most beautiful belonged to Princess Grace followed by Sophies. I also liked Princess Diana's of Orleans Ruby and Clotilde Princess of Venice and Piedmont must be the Italian in me. My least favorites are Autumns and Camilla's and the one I do not like the most is Princess Marie's of Denmark. My ultimate favorite however was Diana's I just love the setting of the Sapphire and Diamonds.

Alixxx

^ Well, now you're going to have say Kate's. Still surprised Diana's ring is now hers but it was a very sweet gesture.

Bensgal

My favorite ring is, of course, Diana/Kate's ring and I do like Queen Elizabeth II's ring very much.

amabel

Quote from: Alixxx on November 17, 2010, 09:58:26 PM
^ Well, now you're going to have say Kate's. Still surprised Diana's ring is now hers but it was a very sweet gesture.

I don't think it was appropriate at all personally especially since the ring was part of an unhappy marriage. and surely William could shell out for a new Ring for her...

dianab

My favorites: Diana's Sapphire and the diamonds of Grace and Soraya.
I LOVED William have given the ring of Diana to Kate.
The ring is only a jewel. But this special jewel is closely related to Diana, I think a beautiful tribute/homage from William to his mother.
Kate should very well know what his mother meant to William, and Kate should feel honored of William have given the engagenment ring of his mother.
Plus:That woman wouldn't LOVE such BEAUTIFUL Sapphire.

Jenee

CP Mary's is my favorite out of all of them. Diamonds + Rubies = the perfect combination!!
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Princesse Grace

I love the engagement ring of Diana and I think ,is a great detail ,now kate has the same ring.

A.Deveraux

I pretty much would be happy to be presented with any of them! lol
And I heard you say...
You should be, you could be, why can't we?
You should be, you should be with me...
We could be, why don't we, can you see?
You should be, you should be with me...

sara8150

I like Diana& Kate's

im really like HM Queen Elizabeth II and Sophie but rings looks like same rings as diamonds

XeniaCasaraghi

I like Grace's, Princess Soreya, Queen Elizabeth's and Queen Saleha.
And any man who wants to give me his dead mother's engagement ring when the marriage was horrible and ended in divorce should probably hide from me for a few days.

missing diana

I love Diana/Kate's, Paola of Belgium's and HMQ's rings best.   Maxima's is quite interesting but not my taste. Princess Grace's is beautiful but too large for me  BUT NOT FOR A PRINCESS ;)

Wonder what Ernst August gave Caroline?  Guess it will be hard to find out.

I do not like Marquise or Pear hence I do not like Charlene's ring.  I do wonder who, from the BRF, will attend his wedding??? Perhaps Pr. Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall.

sara8150

Quote from: missing diana on May 22, 2011, 03:07:34 AM
I love Diana/Kate's, Paola of Belgium's and HMQ's rings best.   Maxima's is quite interesting but not my taste. Princess Grace's is beautiful but too large for me  BUT NOT FOR A PRINCESS ;)

Wonder what Ernst August gave Caroline?  Guess it will be hard to find out.

I do not like Marquise or Pear hence I do not like Charlene's ring.  I do wonder who, from the BRF, will attend his wedding??? Perhaps Pr. Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall.

Charlene's engagement rings is large!! like pears rings!!

But Caroline had 3 previous marriages but not yet official separation or official divorce because her husband admit affair with mystery women but Caroline didnt show her engagement rings in public its would be private after her separation..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caroline,_Princess_of_Hanover
read her marriages history

Satrine

Although I like Diana, now Kate's diamond/sapphire ring it does look more like a cocktail ring than an engagement ring.
"OUR LIVES BEGIN TO END THE DAY WE BECOME SILENT ABOUT THINGS THAT MATTER"

-MARTIN LUTHER KING

missing diana

Quote from: Satrine on May 23, 2011, 06:26:22 PM
Although I like Diana, now Kate's diamond/sapphire ring it does look more like a cocktail ring than an engagement ring.

Which brings up an interesting topic.  According to Wikipedia :Engagement rings didn't become standard in the West until the end of the 19th century, and diamond rings didn't become common until the 1930s.

Did the British adopt this use of diamonds for engagement rings around this time or later?   

amabel

I seem to remember vaguely that a 15th C princess Mary of Burgundy was given a diamond betrothal ring, and that set a certain fashion for diamond engagement rings.  However this would only be among the royals and nobility.  I think that engagement rings started to become more common in the 19th C, and by the 20th C most couples except the poorest would have some kind of ring to mark their engagements.  I suspect that as diamonds became cheaper and it was easier to make imitation jewellery, diamonds became more likely to be the stone for an engagement ring.  Personally I don't like them much and prefer a coloured stone.

XeniaCasaraghi

What makes Kate's ring look like a cocktail ring? I'm asking honestly.
I'm trying to keep these in order, but it looks like Sarah Ferguson got a ring similar to Diana's only with a ruby instead of a sapphire.
There are ads everywhere to get a knockoff Kate Middleton engagement ring; I want a knockoff Princess Soraya or Saleha ring

amabel

Quote from: XeniaCasaraghi on June 08, 2011, 08:29:53 PM
What makes Kate's ring look like a cocktail ring? I'm asking honestly.
I'm trying to keep these in order, but it looks like Sarah Ferguson got a ring similar to Diana's only with a ruby instead of a sapphire.
There are ads everywhere to get a knockoff Kate Middleton engagement ring; I want a knockoff Princess Soraya or Saleha ring

Im not sure what a cocktail ring is?  Does it mean a big OTT  ring which looks like its fake jewlllery?
IIRC Sarah "designed" the ruby ring herself... but Diana's was bought from a tray in Garrards, the Jewllers...It think it is OK but I dont like dark stones... and If I were Kate I'd prefer one of my own....

blackprincess92

i like diamonds....soraya's ring is/was rediculous

REAL LOVE AT LAST!!!

Trudie

I wonder if they are going to add to this with Charlene's Ring and Zara Philips ring. I have yet to see a real good picture of Charlene's ring.

XeniaCasaraghi

Trudie

Thanks Xenia the third picture is the best and while I agree I don't like Pear Shaped either it is a beautiful ring the setting is real pretty.