Engagement, Marriage, Divorce of Diana and Charles (Thread from 2020 onward)

Started by TLLK, February 24, 2020, 10:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

14 Fun Facts About Princess Diana's Wedding | History | Smithsonian Magazine mentioned:   
In February 1981 Charles proposed to Diana after a whirlwind courtship.   

Do you consider Diana's courtship a whirlwind courtship?

TLLK

Yes and that led to the couple not knowing enough about each other to make a sound decision to marry.

Curryong

Quote from: TLLK on August 11, 2023, 12:20:48 PM
Queen Camilla takes military patronage held for decades by Queen Elizabeth II ? Royal Central

So Queen Camilla will be Patron of the Royal Army Chaplains? Dept which provides pastoral care and moral guidance to members of the Armed Forces. What an absolute farce! As both she and the King were well known adulterers themselves, at least partly responsible for destroying their own and each others? first marriages, I sure hope neither of them will be providing moral guidance to any of the Army Chaplains. Such as perhaps ?Thou Shalt not Commit Adultery.??

wannable

Thanks to King Henry VIII, during the reformation and breaking with the Catholic Church. 

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on August 11, 2023, 12:53:29 PM
Thanks to King Henry VIII, during the reformation and breaking with the Catholic Church.

Henry VIII was quite a few centuries ago. They didn?t have army chaplains in his day to dispense moral advice to,  and his breaking with the Roman Catholic Church had nothing whatsoever to do with both Charles and Camilla committing adultery throughout most of the 1980s and into the 1990s.

wannable

He wanted a divorce, morality starts there centuries ago. Just saying.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on August 11, 2023, 01:11:44 PM
He wanted a divorce, morality starts there centuries ago. Just saying.

I hardly think that Charles bedded another man?s wife before during and after his marriage to Diana by thinking ?Well it?s fine! King Henry gave me permission in the 16th century?. His mother as Head of the Church of England kept her marital vows all her adult life. Perhaps he ought to have looked nearer to home than a Tudor king.

wannable

The morals have changed to then and progressing of what was/is acceptable, we are back to the dark ages with Wokeism now for example.

Anyway, for what it's worth, my initial comment has to do with exactly an answer to your original comment of Queen Camilla vs Queen Elizabeth II honorary position based on morality. The Monarchy, the COE, the acceptance of what and how it started, which means they are okay with what KHVIII did.

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on August 11, 2023, 01:29:14 PM
The morals have changed to then and progressing of what was/is acceptable, we are back to the dark ages with Wokeism now for example.

Anyway, for what it's worth, my initial comment has to do with exactly an answer to your original comment of Queen Camilla vs Queen Elizabeth II honorary position based on morality. The Monarchy, the COE, the acceptance of what and how it started, which means they are okay with what KHVIII did.

I doubt very much that Queen Elizabeth II, or her father, mother or grandparents for that matter, let alone Victoria or Albert or George III or many other monarchs, were okay with what Henry VIII did? at all. I think they probably thought, if they thought about it much at all, was that Henry was a tyrant and did what he wanted, having not been able to persuade the Pope to grant him a divorce after years of trying. Nobody can change history.

However the C of E certainly doesn?t sanction divorce and hasn?t since Henry?s time. And, I might point out, that the reason Charles and Camilla weren?t married in a Church but had to use Windsor Guildhall for their ceremony, was specifically due to the fact that they had both committed adultery and both had interfered in each other?s marriage. In fact there was a question as to whether the Archbishop of Canterbury would sanction their marriage.

wannable

Curryong

Quote from: wannable on August 12, 2023, 12:07:29 AM
My best advice is to write a letter to BP with the displeasure

I don?t need to. Within a few years Australia will be a republic as will other realms. Then we will be rid of them. People here aren?t bothered about Charles or Camilla in any way, shape or form, and haven?t been for a very long time.

wannable

Nightowl

Why can't some people let the past go for heaven's sake, time change just like fashions change as does the style of our homes and cars, everything changes with time....even religions.  I like some and really dislike others yet I have learned to deal and accept certain things.

If people want to get rid of Charles and Camilla then just ignore them, don't comment or read about them anymore.....that will get rid of them.  We all can't live our lives looking at ourselves from someone's else point of view.

Curryong

As for the admirable POW Charles, what lessons were to be learned from his behaviour as heir that he imparted to his children? To be such a workaholic that you allowed others like Mark Dyer and Tiggy to look after your children and regard them as substitutes for you after your ex wife died?

To be so spineless that you were prepared to marry a teenager you didn?t love, as you couldn?t have the married woman you?d been having an affair with for years? To cheat on your wife with another man?s wife for years?  To introduce them to your children as your second wife after your grandmother?s death as you were to afraid to do it before? All great life lessons I?m sure! Just not the ones you?d wish to impart if you had a sense of honour and decency..

And those lessons haven?t been lost on his sons. William has one tenth of the patronages his father has, so no workaholic there. And Harry can?t be accused of not being a devoted husband and father. No cheating rumours.

LouisFerdinand

Everything that went wrong at Charles and Diana's wedding   
In the past it has been declared how wrinkled Lady Diana's wedding dress was.   
In this video it is mentioned that if her bridal gown could have been brushed for ten minutes,   
several of the wrinkles would have not been there.   
Everything That Went Wrong At Charles & Diana's Wedding - YouTube

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on September 28, 2023, 10:50:47 PM
Everything that went wrong at Charles and Diana's wedding   
In the past it has been declared how wrinkled Lady Diana's wedding dress was.   
In this video it is mentioned that if her bridal gown could have been brushed for ten minutes,   
several of the wrinkles would have not been there.   
Everything That Went Wrong At Charles & Diana's Wedding - YouTube

I often think it was forgotten at the time how young and very inexperienced the Emanuels were. They obviously weren?t used to dealing with yards and yards of natural materials like pure silk. And neither the young bride nor themselves had thought through how cramped Diana was going to be travelling to the Abbey in the family coach with her father, who was not a small man by any means.

Nevertheless, that wedding, watched by millions around the globe, was filled with many wonderful, fascinating and heartwarming moments. People who saw it have remembered it and will for the rest of their lives. It really was THE Royal marriage of the second half of the 20th century. Nothing else came up to it. And Diana was an absolutely beautiful bride! In the wider scheme of things a dress that wrinkled for a few minutes is nothing.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on September 29, 2023, 12:36:28 AM
I often think it was forgotten at the time how young and very inexperienced the Emanuels were. They obviously weren?t used to dealing with yards and yards of natural materials like pure silk. And neither the young bride nor themselves had thought through how cramped Diana was going to be travelling to the Abbey in the family coach with her father, who was not a small man by any means.

Nevertheless, that wedding, watched by millions around the globe, was filled with many wonderful, fascinating and heartwarming moments. People who saw it have remembered it and will for the rest of their lives. It really was THE Royal marriage of the second half of the 20th century. Nothing else came up to it. And Diana was an absolutely beautiful bride! In the wider scheme of things a dress that wrinkled for a few minutes is nothing.

I agree @Curryong. The couple were in their late twenties and had established themselves as up and coming designers. However neither had experience with anything on this scale. There  are only a small handful of designers who will be selected to create a royal wedding gown for the bride of a future monarch. These are gowns that will be scrutinized for decades after the ceremony.

When you consider that both Earl Spencer and Lady Diana were  both taller than most people, I cannot comprehend how they managed that rather long journey from Clarence House to St. Paul's in the confines of the Glass Coach.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Amabel2

Quote from: Curryong on August 12, 2023, 12:24:25 AMI don?t need to. Within a few years Australia will be a republic as will other realms. Then we will be rid of them. People here aren?t bothered about Charles or Camilla in any way, shape or form, and haven?t been for a very long time.
so why go on about them .

Curryong

Quote from: Amabel2 on March 23, 2024, 03:42:52 PMso why go on about them .

I don't 'go on' about them. You have proved that point by commenting on something from August 2023, seven months ago (and a post that was probably written at the time in the context of Charles and the Commonwealth.)I haven't written about King Charles, Camilla, the Commonwealth, or anything like the post you plucked out from August 2023 for months. In fact, like many other people who used to post regularly on RI, I rarely come here any more. Thanks for reminding me why!