The BRF during COVID 19 lockdown March 2020-2021

Started by wannable, March 19, 2020, 04:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: Curryong on September 17, 2020, 01:53:36 AM
Prince Philip's probably very glad to be going 'home' to Sandringham.
I agree.  For all he has lived such a public life he is probably treasuring his new, non-public life he has, and really wants to do just want he wants to do. Of course, we don't really know what his health is, but if it is stable he will be wanting to get back to his projects.  I'm glad the Queen is with him, if only for two more weeks. 

Amabel2

I hope hte old boy makes his century.. but he is probably very up and down now health wise...

Princess Cassandra

During an interview some years ago, when asked if he hoped to reach a very old age,he  immediately said he hoped not and followed it up with "bits are already falling off!). That was before all the health issues that have befallen him.  He is a very matter of fact person and probably doesn't fear death.  However, I hope for his family and Britons everywhere that he does.  And he is a great example of how to live a healthy lifestyle, so perhaps we should all be copying him!!!

LouisFerdinand

It will be interesting to see what the British Royal Family does for the Christmas holidays.

Curryong

If Covid figures are still very high in GB in December it may be that the Queen's advisers (puppet masters) may opt for her and PP to remain at Windsor and allow family members to see them separately over Christmas while social distancing.

It might not be considered viable for a couple of their ages to be driven or flown to Sandringham for just a few days when in normal circumstances anyway most other members of the RF are there for Xmas Eve and Xmas Day only and then leave. They include Prince Charles and Camilla who usually go to Birkhall and to Camilla's private house to see her family (arrangements may alter there as well) the Yorks who return to London, the Cambridges to nearby Anmer, etc etc.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: Curryong on September 23, 2020, 01:04:03 AM
If Covid figures are still very high in GB in December it may be that the Queen's advisers (puppet masters) may opt for her and PP to remain at Windsor and allow family members to see them separately over Christmas while social distancing.

It might not be considered viable for a couple of their ages to be driven or flown to Sandringham for just a few days when in normal circumstances anyway most other members of the RF are there for Xmas Eve and Xmas Day only and then leave. They include Prince Charles and Camilla who usually go to Birkhall and to Camilla's private house to see her family (arrangements may alter there as well) the Yorks who return to London, the Cambridges to nearby Anmer, etc etc.
That would not please the DofE, who really loves the freedom of open spaces on the Sandringham Estate.  They will certainly have to make some compromises for him. 

Curryong

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on September 26, 2020, 01:51:43 PM
That would not please the DofE, who really loves the freedom of open spaces on the Sandringham Estate.  They will certainly have to make some compromises for him.

No, it wouldn't. However, as has been noted before, in the last couple of months instead of being allowed to just remain at Sandringham, Prince Philip was taken to Windsor against his wishes, and also went to Balmoral with the Queen when he didn't want to do that either.

Philip at 99 isn't Philip at 50 or even 70. There would have been explosions heard for miles around if he had been told by Palace Mandarins that he must leave Sandringham and go elsewhere in his private time when he was younger. As I said before on this topic we don't know the true state of his physical and mental state at this time, and whether he is able to cogently express himself.

However, if the story about having to cut back on expenses and staff is true I believe there is a distinct possibility, especially in light of the new Covid restrictions in the UK amid a new wave, that it might not be considered viable to transport a very elderly couple to Sandringham this year for a few days residence. It seems to be becoming clear that Palace officials are in charge more and more in this new world.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: Curryong on September 26, 2020, 02:13:53 PM
No, it wouldn't. However, as has been noted before, in the last couple of months instead of being allowed to just remain at Sandringham, Prince Philip was taken to Windsor against his wishes, and also went to Balmoral with the Queen when he didn't want to do that either.

Philip at 99 isn't Philip at 50 or even 70. There would have been explosions heard for miles around if he had been told by Palace Mandarins that he must leave Sandringham and go elsewhere in his private time when he was younger. As I said before on this topic we don't know the true state of his physical and mental state at this time, and whether he is able to cogently express himself.

However, if the story about having to cut back on expenses and staff is true I believe there is a distinct possibility, especially in light of the new Covid restrictions in the UK amid a new wave, that it might not be considered viable to transport a very elderly couple to Sandringham this year for a few days residence. It seems to be becoming clear that Palace officials are in charge more and more in this new world.

So true, but very sobering. 

Princess Cassandra

The issue seems to have been resolved.  Perhaps the DofE doesn't need a lot of staff, but for whatever reason he is back where he loves to be.  And since he is 99 he certainly deserves to be. 

Amabel2

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on October 13, 2020, 03:15:05 PM
The issue seems to have been resolved.  Perhaps the DofE doesn't need a lot of staff, but for whatever reason he is back where he loves to be.  And since he is 99 he certainly deserves to be.
where is he now?  I hope the old boy is OK ot make his century....

wannable

^
The follow up from the initial stories was carried out by Camilla Tominey, The Telegraph

The 94-year-old monarch and the Duke of Edinburgh, 99, spent six weeks at their Aberdeenshire home before cutting their trip short to travel to Sandringham last month.

The couple spent a further two weeks on the Norfolk estate before her Her Majesty returned to Windsor Castle on Tuesday - with Philip remaining on Wood Farm, where he usually resides since retiring from public life in 2017.

This was reported widely when they were still at Balmoral, the BM were divided in 2 about the expenses of personnel having to isolate, etc. change of personnel every 2 weeks for the turns.  I somehow knew that the public wouldn't mind, he deserves it.

Curryong

I think I read the other day that Prince Philip is back at Sandringham at his beloved Wood Farm. The Queen is of course back at Windsor and performing some engagements online.

I still can't see a full family Xmas at Sandringham for the RF this year, unless circumstances drastically change. I wouldn't be surprised to see the old boy plucked from his home and transplanted to Windsor for Xmas week though, protesting or otherwise. The staff, aides etc apparently are unhappy with a Sandringham stay for the festive season, away from their families with Covid still a problem.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: Amabel2 on October 13, 2020, 03:16:23 PM
where is he now?  I hope the old boy is OK ot make his century....
Word is that he is at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate.

Double post auto-merged: October 15, 2020, 12:43:42 AM

Quote from: Curryong on October 13, 2020, 03:30:01 PM
I think I read the other day that Prince Philip is back at Sandringham at his beloved Wood Farm. The Queen is of course back at Windsor and performing some engagements online.

I still can't see a full family Xmas at Sandringham for the RF this year, unless circumstances drastically change. I wouldn't be surprised to see the old boy plucked from his home and transplanted to Windsor for Xmas week though, protesting or otherwise. The staff, aides etc apparently are unhappy with a Sandringham stay for the festive season, away from their families with Covid still a problem.
He might be ok for a week or so at Christmas, and that's where Christmas used to be in the past.  I just hope they are together at Christmas, since they won't be able to have their usual social whirl. 

LouisFerdinand

Will Queen Elizabeth II still be attending a Christmas church service?  :jensinging:

TLLK

I believe that she will unless in-person church services are forbidden. However I don't believe that a large gathering of the public will be permitted like before.

PrincessOfPeace

The Queen and Prince Philip have arrived at Windsor Castle in preparation for the second lockdown.

They left Sandringham following the governments announcement that England will enter a second national lockdown on Thursday.

Queen and Prince Philip return to Windsor Castle as they prepare for second lockdown - Mirror Online

wannable

Sensible to the new covid19 phase.

I think the Cambridge's will do their lockdown in KP, London, as schools are still operating.  I am actually sure about it, they don't want to create a bad publicity of taking their children out of school, when everyone else have not done so, just yet.

I wonder if Charles and Camilla will also stay in Clarence House?!

TLLK

@wannable-I agree that the Cambridges will likely stay on at KP and if the schools need to pivot to distance learning, then they can just work from home like all other students in England.

I believe that the PoW/DssoC might stay on at CH for the time being.

Amabel2

seems like children are still going to be going to school during this lockdown.. though that may change.

TLLK

@Amabel2 - Agreed. Now since schools and families have already experienced switching to distance learning in the pasts, hopefully it will be a smoother transition if it's determined that schools need to close.

Amabel2

I think they are very much aware that kids aren't doing that well learning from home and they are hoping they wont have to shift to closing schools again...And IMO the economy and people in general can't take much more of this locking down..Its having a very serious effect on people's mental health. 

Curryong

So the poor old boy is being uprooted from his beloved Sandringham AGAIN. I know this latest UK lockdown is only supposed to last a month, but personally I wouldn't be surprised to see it lingering on into December (depending on how swiftly the Covid positive figures go down of course) requiring a Windsor Royal Xmas this year. He won't be happy!

Double post auto-merged: November 02, 2020, 10:33:51 PM

It would be very surprising if a country like the UK couldn't cope with a strict lockdown of a month after enduring nearly six years of privations of all kinds during WW2. It's been generally acknowledged that Boris reacted to this pandemic inadequately at the beginning, like other leaders not treating it seriously and flicking it off until he himself came down with a bout of it. And the nation as a whole paid for it, and is still paying.

As for mental health, every nation and State in the world has had to cope with restrictions. Australians as well. And that has been since February when our Federal Govt reacted by closing our borders and imposing restrictions and medical processes. All our State Govts did this.

In Victoria we had the hardest, longest lockdown in the world so far, due to Covid figures jumping here in this State in July which caused alarm in Australia but in other places would almost certainly have been ignored.

There was a curfew of 9pm, no exceptions. Most Retail outlets except for pharmacies and supermarkets and many other businesses were closed, including hospitality venues. Schools were closed except for the small children of essential workers. Weddings were postponed, funerals sparsely attended.

Masks were and still are mandatory when out of doors. There were four reasons only for leaving your home. Food and medicinal supplies, medical appointments, any educational requirements for adults which were still going, and exercise once a day for one hour, no more.

These restrictions lasted from July until late October. They are now very much lessened. Were they fun. No. Did people complain. Yes, some did.

However the vast majority of people in Victoria just gritted their teeth and got on with living as best we could.

Because we recognised it was necessary to get the numbers down. And those high numbers were, as I've stated before, due to Victorian Govt stuff ups with hotel security and returned travellers, not the fault of the general Victorian population at all.

We've now experienced very low numbers of active Covid cases for a month. For the past three days there have been no deaths and no new active cases. Pray God it continues.

My point is that getting numbers down to a manageable level requires sacrifice from the general population and firm and decisive action from the beginning from Natiional and State Govts.

I'm sorry that England is in the mess it is in ref Covid. However, throwing hands in the air, moaning about mental health and businesses being closed achieves absolutely nothing. Everybody from the British PM down just has to be determined to beat this thing and get numbers down. If it means harsh measures and people keeping to extra draconian strict rules for months, then so be it.

Been through it and a second wave, and now out the other side, thanks to the grit and determination of almost every person in this State to not let this thing beat us. Hope Britons can find the internal fortitude to do the same.