Man sentenced to 3 months for insulting Prince of Monaco

Started by PrincessOfPeace, September 24, 2014, 06:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteA man from Nice has been sentenced to three months in prison after publicly insulting the Prince of Monaco and the princely family.

The 28-year-old man, who is Tunisian, was in an outbuilding of the courthouse in Monaco to seek help with a workplace accident when the incident happened, as reported by Nice Matin.
More: Man sentenced to 3 months for insulting Prince of Monaco - The Riviera Times Online

TLLK

cinrit

QuoteMan Jailed for Three Months After Insulting Prince Albert of Monaco In a Public Place

A low-paid African immigrant to France has been sent to prison for 'insulting' the billionaire Prince and Princess of Monaco.  In a case which has sparked a debate about the power of modern European royalty, the 28-year-old Tunisian was locked up late last month.

Details of the 'crime' have been hushed up by the authorities in the notoriously secret Mediterranean principality, but the unnamed defendant pleaded not guilty.

Despite this, he was placed in handcuffs and sentenced to three months in jail on September 23, with Monaco judges handing down a stiffer sentence than prosecutors had asked for.

A week before he had been in a court room annex looking for officers who deal with employment tribunals concerning accidents at work.  There he is said to have started 'shouting ferociously' at staff, before allegedly saying some 'very unpleasant things' about Prince Albert, 56, and his pregnant wife, Charlene, 36.

More: Man jailed for three months after insulting Prince Albert of Monaco | Daily Mail Online

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on September 24, 2014, 07:21:12 PM
^^^Yes this does happen in the principality.
Its still pretty much an absolute monarchy isn't it?

TLLK

I believe that it is. Lichtenstein operates in a similar fashion I believe.

amabel

Yup.  I must say I'm surprised that these monarchies still exist in Europe.