Duke & Duchess - To Clear Their Calendars for August (Threads Merged)

Started by Lothwen, July 30, 2014, 03:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

Kate is a mother, which is probably the most important job in the world, whether you have a nanny or not.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Limabeany

Kate is a mother with a job she neglects shamelessly, that makes her irresponsible and lazy.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

wannable

She's doing royal duties, will represent the Queen in Malta.

When she gets to be the Princess of Wales, she will have a full schedule. And perhaps like the consort Prince Philip to the Queen will be the boss of the household, Dutchy of Lancaster, she to Cornwall, whilst Charles will be to Lancaster.

I understand some people want them to do more, but factually the SG and Dutchy of Cornwall doesn't have the funds, whilst the Queen will have none of it by retiring. Although she seems to have been inching some responsibilities by way of representation to commonwealth and other country visits.

Lady Adams

^No funds to pay for logistics to do royal duties but enough funds to pay for the logistics (security, helicopter commuting) to live at Amner?
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

wannable

I haven't read that in the annual reports yet.

Edit to add, although the SG does say the Queen leased for 1 year a new helicopter, said contract at a cost of £8m. I understand Princess Beatrice was the first one to use it.

Limabeany

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Limabeany

:clap: :clap: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Quote from: Lady Adams on August 10, 2014, 12:23:37 PM
^No funds to pay for logistics to do royal duties but enough funds to pay for the logistics (security, helicopter commuting) to live at Amner?

sandy

Quote from: wannable on August 10, 2014, 12:19:50 PM

When she gets to be the Princess of Wales, she will have a full schedule. And perhaps like the consort Prince Philip to the Queen will be the boss of the household, Dutchy of Lancaster, she to Cornwall, whilst Charles will be to Lancaster.

I understand some people want them to do more, but factually the SG and Dutchy of Cornwall doesn't have the funds, whilst the Queen will have none of it by retiring. Although she seems to have been inching some responsibilities by way of representation to commonwealth and other country visits.

I am not so sure she or Will will have a full schedule when they are elevated to Prince and Princess of Wales. Kate's royal duties are few and far between.

wannable

Yes, they're few and far between now, the don't even have their own annual report, it's included in the duchy of Cornwall report, hence one day as William and her are PoW, they will have the "income" to have a full schedule. As Charles will have the SG and Lancaster income.

I suppose by that time, Charles will be paying via the Lancaster for Harry and wife?! Not sure about this out of topic but curious point.

Limabeany

Quote from: sandy on August 10, 2014, 07:18:43 PM
Quote from: wannable on August 10, 2014, 12:19:50 PM

I am not so sure she or Will will have a full schedule when they are elevated to Prince and Princess of Wales. Kate's royal duties are few and far between.
I think Charles will not find it easy to accommodate William's desire to avoid royal duties in favor of other pursuits after the Queen passes, so WIlliam will not be happy, but he will have to work more and I think leisure and comfort are the strongest  foundations for that marriage, so we will see how they manage. Regarding Kate, I  have begun to think she is fragile emotionally or otherwise, I cannot find any other reason for the kid gloves treatment this able-bodied woman in her thirties is receiving. She graduated Uni, so she can't be thick enough to necessitate being under lock and key to keep the public from finding how thick she is. but they are treating her as if working would affect her emotional health...

Rebound

Now we are to think Kate is emotionally fragile?! She can't be thick enough to be kept under lock and key?! It must be a problem with her emotional health?! This is the *exact* same treatment Diana received from Charles' friends and family, trying to undermine her with innuendo.

Why can't it be because she wants to stay with her son, doing engagements when asked to, all the while with the approval of the rest of the royal family? It makes more sense than alluding she must be emotionally fragile, and of course there is no evidence whatsoever that she is.

Lady Adams

Quote from: Rebound on August 11, 2014, 02:50:19 AM
Now we are to think Kate is emotionally fragile?! She can't be thick enough to be kept under lock and key?! It must be a problem with her emotional health?! This is the *exact* same treatment Diana received from Charles' friends and family, trying to undermine her with innuendo.

Why can't it be because she wants to stay with her son, doing engagements when asked to, all the while with the approval of the rest of the royal family? It makes more sense than alluding she must be emotionally fragile, and of course there is no evidence whatsoever that she is.
No one is telling you what to think, Rebound.  :hug: We're all allowed to have different opinions about why the public doesn't see much of Kate.  :flower:

However, as far as the Queen's approval.... I'll believe it when I see Kate awarded her Royal Order.
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Limabeany

Quote from: Rebound on August 11, 2014, 02:50:19 AM

And before she married, what was it, she wanted to daydream about her future son? And, after she married, she wanted to cook for William all day... And, after she got pregnant, she wanted to rub her belly all day... Isn't Kate precious... With the approval of the royal family members who work their buns off, but they don't want Kate to work much, because they don't believe working mothers are capable of raising children well, like Anne and Sophie...  :sigh:

Rebound

Lady Adams, with all due respect, of course I understand we are allowed different opinions. However, implying Kate is emotionally unstable is beyond the pale. It's the exact sort of suggestion Diana was and still is plagued with. And it's because I respect Diana so much, and feel she has been unfairly maligned, both before and after her death, that it bothers me greatly to see the same treatment of Kate.

And Limabeany, I didn't think I needed to make a defense of Kate's entire life. You said you had begun to think that Kate was emotionally fragile, and I responded to that particular issue. Apparently it is still your opinion that Kate must be unhealthy emotionally. I vehemently disagree.

Limabeany

I am not and never have told you what to think. I am sharing what I think, and you are most welcome to disagree vehemently. I accept that you feel differently. I can find no sensible explanation for a woman smart enough to graduate Uni and physically fit to be coddled thus, the question springs forward, what are they afraid would happen if they made Kate work more? I wouldn't say unhealthy, Perhaps, delicate. I have no idea but, the coddling of healthy Kate is simply baffling... She doesn't like working as she has never done it regularly, so it will be quite a shock to her system if she ever has to, especially as she won't be young anymore. Teaching an old dog new tricks and all... But, why are hardworking people like theQueen and Charles expecting nothing from her but a few days a year...

SophieChloe

What other reasons are others prepared to offer up with regard to Kate and 'work'?  Surely we've heard them all? 

I'm with Lima...she seems to have problems in the work dept.  Can she not cope?  Is it all too much for her.  What?   
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

cinrit

Personally, I think if the Queen and Charles wanted her to be doing more, she'd be doing more.  I find it hard to believe that the entire monarchy is being ruled by a 32-year-old girl who's been in the Family only three years, who tells them what she will and won't do.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

SophieChloe

We keep hearing that excuse.   Before it was....two years to get used to married life.....which is it? 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Limabeany

I think the Queen doesn't want another high profile divorce, and doesn't force Kate to work, because she never has, and what matters to her is that she and William portray a happy family, there is no way that the Queen and Charles are singlehandedly taking care of everything on their plates at this point, without the heir who should be helping simply because they don't want William to exert himself or don't want him to work at this age. The Queen was in her 20s when she ascended the throne, why would she think William is a young lad who should be running carefree as long as he wishes when he is nearly ten years older than she was?

KaTerina Montague

Oh for the love of backstreet WILLIAM WORKS! He has been working for years, whether you like his job or not it is a job, a valued important job. He is not running around carefree. I believe William Charles and E2 started working around the same age.

Canuck

Totally agreed, KaTerina.  Will was in the military in various capacities from January 2006 until September 2013.  Then he took one year off (during which he did, in fact, perform Royal duties and undertake a 10 week course) and he's just announced he's taking on a full-time job with the air ambulance service, where he will once again be working. 

If people don't think he does the right type of work, that's one thing.  But to pretend he's never done any work in his life is kind of silly.

wannable

Cleared calendar, happy end of August and long weekend this coming. Don't get stuck in traffic.

For the LOLs

Captain America (@NicoBTW) tweeted at 8:21am - 21 Aug 14:

Did I just spot Prince William @ McDonald's? pic.twitter.com/1rkD7fKAL7 (Captain America on Twitter: Did I just spot Prince William @ McDonald's? http://t.co/1rkD7fKAL7)

Macrobug

It is rather insulting to all the other people in RAF and SAR pilots to say that William doesn't work when he is flying.  As Canuck said, just because it isn't what some people want him to be doing doesn't mean he isn't occupied.
GNU Terry Pratchett