Books, films and television programs about the Queen and DoE

Started by oak_and_cedar, September 16, 2020, 07:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oak_and_cedar

I've just read a book by Karen Dolby called 'Queen Elizabeth II's guide to life'.

I thought it would be full quotes, which it didn't have IMO. Not enough anyways. It had plenty of 'trivia' which were already known.

Although understandable since HM hasn't given any interview, but still,  it could have been more 'meaty' and included parts of her speeches added into each section. It was very light reading.

There was one nice anecdote. I don't remember who she told this to, but HM mentioning to the DoE which houses she thought were beautiful, whereby the DoE would stop by those houses when they would go out driving and inquire about them. HM apparently thought it embarrassing. I thought it was sweet and also thoughtful  of prince Philip to do this.

Anyways, just my 2 cents of a book review.

I'm currently reading a book about Henry II.

Amabel2

Quote from: oak_and_cedar on September 16, 2020, 07:53:06 PM
I've just read a book by Karen Dolby called 'Queen Elizabeth II's guide to life'.

I thought it would be full quotes, which it didn't have IMO. Not enough anyways. It had plenty of 'trivia' which were already known.

Although understandable since HM hasn't given any interview, but still,  it could have been more 'meaty' and included parts of her speeches added into each section. It was very light reading.

There was one nice anecdote. I don't remember who she told this to, but HM mentioning to the DoE which houses she thought were beautiful, whereby the DoE would stop by those houses when they would go out driving and inquire about them. HM apparently thought it embarrassing. I thought it was sweet and also thoughtful  of prince Philip to do this.

what sort of houses?  Did Philip make his identitiy known or did he just eqnuire if they were for sale and could he look round htem without telling who he was?

Curryong

Quote from: oak_and_cedar on September 16, 2020, 07:53:06 PM

Sorry, but that story sounds like absolute BS. I'm sure the RPOs who were with them at all times when they were 'driving around' really appreciated going into strange properties (where anybody could be living) so that Prince Philip could draw attention to the fact the monarch and consort were looking at houses.

And where? In London or when they were coming back from formal engagements elsewhere? I've never heard of the Queen and Prince Philip taking casual drives around England except on Royal estates.

And who is Karen Dolby? Her name doesn't exactly feature in the front rank of Royal biographers.

oak_and_cedar

Quote from: Curryong on September 16, 2020, 10:29:55 PM
Sorry, but that story sounds like absolute BS. I'm sure the RPOs who were with them at all times when they were 'driving around' really appreciated going into strange properties (where anybody could be living) so that Prince Philip could draw attention to the fact the monarch and consort were looking at houses.

And where? In London or when they were coming back from formal engagements elsewhere? I've never heard of the Queen and Prince Philip taking casual drives around England except on Royal estates.

And who is Karen Dolby? Her name doesn't exactly feature in the front rank of Royal biographers.

Why is it BS? The RPO's are there to protect them and, as much as it is possible, not be a hinderance in their daily lives.

Prince Philip and the Queen have both often been pictured behind the wheel. I seriously doubt HM and PP are going around in London suburbs looking at houses. I reckon it's when they're driving around in Scotland or Norfolk where there are many beautiful estastes? Though I think you are more familiar with those parts Curryong.

Besides, they are both very well protected and surely the landed gentry and aristocrats ownings those homes pose no threat.

I think Karen Dolby is a new breed of biographers making a living by writing about the RF. This book was published this year iirc.

Double post auto-merged: September 17, 2020, 04:05:36 PM

Quote from: Amabel2 on September 16, 2020, 08:04:08 PM
  what sort of houses?  Did Philip make his identitiy known or did he just eqnuire if they were for sale and could he look round htem without telling who he was?

Unfortunately there wasn't much detail beyond that. Though I hardly think PP need to make his identity known and he perhaps enquired about the history of the home etc.

I think it was when they vacationed in Scotland and Norfolk. I don't think the RF moves around in London too much tbh.

Amabel2

actually its been rumored that Philip used to own a London taxi and drove it.. as a way of getting around anonymously.

And I dont think its all that likely that Philip was driving up to country houses and saying "what's the history of this place" or "Are you interested in selling the house".
I should imagine that the owners of the houses would recognize him... and I'd could imagine that the queen MIGHT be somewhat embarrassed if he was doing this.. but was probably powerless to stop him.

LouisFerdinand

When she was Princess Elizabeth, did she have an interest in some of the manor houses she and her parents visited?

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on September 25, 2020, 11:34:03 PM
When she was Princess Elizabeth, did she have an interest in some of the manor houses she and her parents visited?

Why manor houses? I shouldn't think she was interested in the country houses she was taken to as a child. With the exception of military history I've never read that the Queen is much of a history buff.

They would have been mostly the houses of her parents relatives and old friends anyway and she would have been used to them. Perhaps Glamis, which is really historic and was her mother's old home, might have drawn a few questions.

There wouldn't have been that many visits anyway. Upper class parents didn't lug their children and nannies around on visits in those days anyway. The parents would go on shoots and house parties and even visits abroad and the children (if they weren't in boarding school) stayed home or went with their nannies to the seaside or something.

And don't forget, from the time Elizabeth was 13 until 19 there was a war on. She and Margaret spent most of the time at Windsor Castle. By the time most of the aristocracy inhabited their country houses again (if they ever did) after they had been turned into Ministry centres or convalescent homes during the war, she would have been almost getting ready to marry.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Marion Crawford was the governess to Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret Rose. Marion wrote The Little Princesses, which told the story of her time with the royal family.   

:princess: :princess: :princess: :princess: :princess: :booknerd: :booknerd: :princess: :princess: :princess: :princess:

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on February 17, 2022, 08:15:29 PM
Marion Crawford was the governess to Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret Rose. Marion wrote The Little Princesses, which told the story of her time with the royal family.   

:princess: :princess: :princess: :princess: :princess: :booknerd: :booknerd: :princess: :princess: :princess: :princess:

Yes, and Queen Elizabeth (later the Queen Mother) never forgave her for it. Because of her long service to the York children Crawfie didn?t have her grace and favour house (granted to her on marriage) taken away afterwards, but the Queen and her mother and sister Margaret never dropped by to visit her there when they passed by ever again after she went ?commercial?. That was undoubtedly the QM?s influence and decision. She had a memory like an elephant and kept grudges up for a lifetime.