The BRF during COVID 19 lockdown March 2020-2021

Started by wannable, March 19, 2020, 04:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princess Cassandra

Not surprising, and it is certainly the appropriate action to take.  I think we already heard it was a possibility, and would also help keep Buckingham Palace renovations on time and on budget. 

Curryong

Yes, in a way, terrible though it is, the pandemic has facilitated the renovations at BP. Less staff, no monarch and few aides has allowed the badly needed ronovations to proceed without too much disruption. Anyway, the Queen likes Windsor much more than she (or any of the royals) likes BP.

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: Curryong on August 23, 2020, 11:37:37 PM
Yes, in a way, terrible though it is, the pandemic has facilitated the renovations at BP. Less staff, no monarch and few aides has allowed the badly needed ronovations to proceed without too much disruption. Anyway, the Queen likes Windsor much more than she (or any of the royals) likes BP.
Yes, and why not!  It's a lovely place, and she has Windsor Great Park to ride and walk her dogs. I once read that there is a place on the grounds of Frogmore House where bowls of water are kept for her dogs on their walk. How pleasant for someone who loves the country.   

sara8150

Quote from: Curryong on August 23, 2020, 11:37:37 PM

I?m agreed with you,@Curryong

Double post auto-merged: August 25, 2020, 09:58:47 PM

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on August 23, 2020, 07:53:13 PM
Not surprising, and it is certainly the appropriate action to take.  I think we already heard it was a possibility, and would also help keep Buckingham Palace renovations on time and on budget. 

Yes HM Queen wouldnt get back to Buckingham Palace till coronavirus (COVID-19) over but not safe for her and Duke of Edinburgh but both stay Windsor Castle for months they NOW Balmoral Castle but I?m sure HM Queen and Duke of Edinburgh will kept safe and still social distancing can talk on FaceTime to members of royal family also

TLLK

I thought that they'd be there around the end of August and then can return to London for the start of the fall term for George and Charlotte. I hope that they're having a glorious time at Balmoral.

wannable

It's a bank holiday.  As I said in a comment related to the Cambridge's, they usually/always go the last August Friday until Monday.

PrincessOfPeace

A Service of Prayer and Reflection was held at Balmoral Castle this evening. The Reverend Kenneth MacKenzie preached the Sermon.

- Court Circular || 30 August 2020

Double post auto-merged: August 31, 2020, 09:44:02 PM

Wrong thread. Please delete @TLLK

PrincessOfPeace

A Service of Prayer and Reflection was held at Balmoral Castle this evening. The Reverend Kenneth MacKenzie preached the Sermon.

- Court Circular || 30 August 2020

PrincessOfPeace

The Queen is to leave Balmoral earlier than widely expected, on September 14, and spend time with Prince Philip at Sandringham before returning to Windsor and raining some engagements at Buckingham Palace in October.

A palace spokesman says: The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will depart Balmoral Castle during the week commencing week of September 14 to spend time privately on the Sandringham Estate.

Subject to the finalisation of the autumn programme, Her Majesty?s intention is to return to Windsor Castle in October and to resume the use of Buckingham Palace for selected Audiences and engagements.

These plans will be kept under review and will of course be subject to all relevant guidance and advice

- Richard Palmer

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EhZ-usoWoAY1FaS?format=jpg&name=900x900

wannable

Quite a nice surprise that they will be going to Farmhouse cottage at Sandringham, and she will be visiting PP later during weekends.  I am commenting late, waiting for the majority of royal rota to confirm the new bubble and the ERII plans going forward short term/covid19.

Downsizing is a great move during these hard times.  I just feel sorry that many will be unemployed.

Curryong

I think that it was Prince Philip becoming restless, missing Wood Farm and Sandringham and being able to go where he likes (within reason) and see who he likes there, that spurred this move. The Queen absolutely adores Balmoral. This cutting short her stay there has never happened before. Philip was OK with it as in the days when he was fit and active he could get out and about at Balmoral, do things on his own. In recent months he has been shut up in a bubble (as he would see it) at Windsor, and now shut up by age, frailty and a pandemic in a remote castle in Scotland. He can't even go around there with younger members of his family in the way he once could.

Amabel2

Quote from: Curryong on September 11, 2020, 10:16:55 PM
I think that it was Prince Philip becoming restless, missing Wood Farm and Sandringham and being able to go where he likes (within reason) and see who he likes there, that spurred this move. The Queen absolutely adores Balmoral. This cutting short her stay there has never happened before. Philip was OK with it as in the days when he was fit and active he could get out and about at Balmoral, do things on his own. In recent months he has been shut up in a bubble (as he would see it) at Windsor, and now shut up by age, frailty and a pandemic in a remote castle in Scotland. He can't even go around there with younger members of his family in the way he once could.
yes I'd say its PHilip getting restless... and he wants to go back to Wood farm.......and at his age, they probalby give in to him....

Curryong

The Queen and Prince Philip seem to have been 'taken over' by their staff like a couple of small children whose nanny knows best. Philip was happy at Wood Farm left to his own devices, and would have been perfectly content not to go anywhere else IMO. However, he is now very old, we don't really know what his physical and mental condition is like (sometimes at that age it's a day by day proposition) and his authority is not what it was.

The Queen is a pragmatic woman and seems to be quite happy with these arrangements whether Philip is with her or not. Of course it's ridiculous that there is not enough staff to look after them in two separate places. The excuse is pathetic. It's just so much more convenient for the aides and courtiers to have them both together, that's the real criteria.

Amabel2

or possibly teh queen doesn't want to have to pay for more staff.  I think it isn't too wise for Phil to be too far away form her now.. that's the problem.  She's still farily fit but he is a very old man and is probalby getting very frail...

Curryong

Yes of course, and I'm sure she and the family are worried that they won't be able to get to him in time if something happens at Sandringham. (Though not so worried that any of them visited him during his time in hospital during his last emergency stay, not even his wife of 72 years. If you remember we discussed that at the time.)

However, IF Prince Philip is compos mentis (and we don't know whether he is or not) then surely he is entitled to express his choice of where he lives during the last years.  He has been a strong minded individual all his life. He may now feel that he is like a prisoner, with no say in his day to day existence at all. He didn't want to go to Balmoral. He went there anyway. He didn't want to go to Windsor. He was taken there. Surely, even if you're 99, you should be allowed some autonomy.

And sorry, the House of Windsor must be really on its uppers if it's quite OK for someone like Andrew to have a full set of RPOs at ?380,000 a year, Charles can have a huge number of servants and everybody has numerous homes, but the Queen can't afford to open the purse strings for the man who has been her self-confessed 'rock' since 1948 to have some extra helpers.

After all, the QM lived on until 102 in her own home with a lavish staff in spite various health problems. She cost the Queen and Charles a pretty penny in bills but they didn't mind helping out there.

Princess Cassandra

As he has said, "I've done my bit..." The Queen acknowledged that he gave more than we will ever know and more than he would ever say.  And now, at nearly 100 years of age he should be allowed some leeway. For a man of his age his health is certainly not the worst it could be, but he was always so active and vital, and how awful it must be to lose his physical stamina and independence. If I were the Queen I would certainly give in to his restlessness, as it appears she has done.  I trust she will also enjoy some time at Woods Farm.   

wannable

Quote from: Amabel2 on September 14, 2020, 01:08:00 PM
Oh come on they cant hire enough staff to look after teh 2 of them?

Of course they can, I think image towards the public has much more to do with this, IF the Times Magazine plan has been back tracked, the original Times said they'd go to Wood Farm 2 weeks, then the QEII would be moved to Windsor and visit PP at WF every weekend.  To this new report from The Sun it won't happen because every 12 days the staff will be replaced by another group of people with all the implications mentioned, etc. turns out to be quite expensive, they have the resources, but what image of that privilege, which can't be hidden quietly from the public look like?  IMO he does deserve it, but IF this is true, then BP staff told the couple to change that Times plan because of A, B, C.   (Note: There are employees that know they will soon be redundant because of the covid19 economy effect)

PrincessOfPeace

wannable

Princess Cassandra

They both waved as they left the Castle and traveled to the airport to board a private plane. 

Curryong

Prince Philip's probably very glad to be going 'home' to Sandringham.