Was it fair?

Started by LouisFerdinand, August 05, 2019, 01:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

Was it fair that more people were interested in details of the Princess of Wales's hair, her clothes, her hats than anything Prince Charles might do?

TLLK

No but that's the way that it was when she was alive. The media quickly figured out that magazines about Diana's fashion and hair were big sellers, so they continued to write articles about that topic over Charles'  interests. :shrug:

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on August 05, 2019, 02:44:14 AM
No but that's the way that it was when she was alive. The media quickly figured out that magazines about Diana's fashion and hair were big sellers, so they continued to write articles about that topic over Charles'  interests. :shrug:
I don't know what was really unfair about it.  The press are there to sell their stories.  Di's looks etc got more notice than Charles' speeches.. so that was what the lighter papers were going to write about

Curryong

Its pretty well a truism in the media that Ihere is much more interest in a woman (especially a young pretty woman) in a dress than a man in a suit every time. It's always been so. Grace and Rainier of Monaco, Paola and Albert of Belgium etc. Didn't Jack Kennedy say jokingly  'I'm the man who accompanied Jackie Kennedy to Paris!'

Magazines and TV are especially visual mediums. Charles seemed to be genuinely bewildered by the phenomena with Diana (doesn't happen with Camilla) but it's continued with Kate and William and Meghan and Harry.

Princess Cassandra

It's a pretty shallow world, so not surprising. I've often thought how frustrating it must have been for him.

LouisFerdinand

If Prince Charles had a brand new necktie, would the reporters have been interested?

amabel

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on August 07, 2019, 12:47:07 AM
If Prince Charles had a brand new necktie, would the reporters have been interested?
Unlikely.  Why would they

Double post auto-merged: August 07, 2019, 07:15:27 AM

Quote from: Princess Cassandra on August 06, 2019, 06:52:33 PM
It's a pretty shallow world, so not surprising. I've often thought how frustrating it must have been for him.
well to be fair the tabloids tend to report the lighter side of life, esp with the RF.  I think it was understandable that Charles got a bit miffed, but  It was only to be expected...I think ti was the massive adoration and interest that Di got from the papers and Royal watching public.. that was hard for him to cope iwht.  A lot of royal brides got a certain surge of interest in the first year or 2 and then it would settle down.  But Diana had the X Factor and the interest in her was much more than it was for other royals and it didn't go away after a year or 2..

Princess Cassandra

Quote from: amabel on August 07, 2019, 07:13:21 AM
Unlikely.  Why would they

Double post auto-merged: August 07, 2019, 07:15:27 AM

well to be fair the tabloids tend to report the lighter side of life, esp with the RF.  I think it was understandable that Charles got a bit miffed, but  It was only to be expected...I think ti was the massive adoration and interest that Di got from the papers and Royal watching public.. that was hard for him to cope iwht.  A lot of royal brides got a certain surge of interest in the first year or 2 and then it would settle down.  But Diana had the X Factor and the interest in her was much more than it was for other royals and it didn't go away after a year or 2..
Plus he had always been somewhat shy, ill at ease, serious and awkward, but through his work (which I have always admired) he had grown accustomed to folks appreciating what he did and giving him some attention at engagements...now here comes this young thing who steals the small amount of thunder he has. She who was not as well informed, educated, or well read as he is was getting all the attention. He was lofty while she was basic. He must have felt that nobody was listening to his message.  And what is interesting is that now, his messages are hitting home and he is much more personable. He seems to feel comfortable in his skin. If he had been confident like this in the 1980's, perhaps her impact would not have affected him in the way that it did.  In a way, he was young, too. He didn't realize that the personal touch she had was just as important as his messages regarding architecture and the environment. But now, he is fully aware and active in humanitarian interests.

amabel

He got a lot of tabloid attention in the 70s.  He was seen as an Action Man, doing Daring sports, in the Navy, then doing his royal work and making speeches and the Pricnes Trust.  He was noticed of course for being seen courting pretty girls too. So he was used to a lot of interest.. but underneath it all he was shy and unsure of himself.. so when Diana got MUCH more interest without having at the time any heavy duty interests and was adored just for being pretty and sweet.. I think it is undertstandable that he got upset..but it made things difficult.

dianab

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on August 05, 2019, 01:31:27 AM
Was it fair that more people were interested in details of the Princess of Wales's hair, her clothes, her hats than anything Prince Charles might do?
women sells more than men. charles himself never was a charismatic man who comands attention... like let's says obama, his wife become a celebrity but he too earned lots attention (not only political)...