Diana's Fashion, Jewelry and accessories- All Years

Started by LouisFerdinand, December 14, 2015, 10:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

Harry had the ring in the first place -- as it was said..
From 'The Divided Prince' p.230 by
Christopher Andersen, Vanity Fair
20th Anniversary Issue pp.221-252,
September 2003
"Harry picked out the sapphire-and-diamond engagement ring given by Charles to the blushing "Shy Di" when she was just 19."

As I said in previous posts, this tale has been going on for a very long time. If it is/was untrue it is very peculiar that in all these decades since, no-one from CH, KP or BP has come out and denied it, telling the media the official version, especially in 2010 at the time of William and Catherine?s engagement.

The Divided Prince | Vanity Fair | September 2003

Amabel2

I cant see the RF or royal household getting into a dispute with someone like |Burrell over something like a ring. I agree that it seems like the story was out there for  a long time but it seems to emanate from Paul B.

Curryong

The RF bent over backwards for Paul B at the time of his trial as he knew an awful lot about the murkiness of some things Charles was entangled with. TPTB and royals were plainly terrified of what might come out. Which was why the trial was aborted in such mysterious circumstances.

However, just because Paul was in luurve with his employer in a rather creepy way and was OTT in some things he said about her doesn?t necessarily mean that every word that came out of his lips about the aftermath of Diana?s death was a lie. He was allowed to fly to Paris straight after Diana?s death, for example, rather a strange thing for Palace courtiers to have allowed him to do if he was regarded as just a servant.

Amabel2

I never knew you would have to have permission to fly to Paris, esp when he was still working for Diana at the time of her death.  He went with Colin Tebutt who worked for Diana as  a driver at times.  And he went as a servant, there to help out with bringing clohtes and make up to dress her body...

And if the RF were really afraid of Paul then why would they start an argument with him over who got a ring or whether he was the one who helped the boys with getting a keepsake.  I tend to be pretty sceptical of everything he says, because its pretty clear that he has exaggerated his importance to Diana...

Curryong

Burrell didn?t take any clothes. And he asked Michael Peat for permission to fly to Paris. Peat gave it. This isn?t the thread to go over all the fiasco of the trial and why the RF were terrified, but certainly their actions show that they were.

The story of Harry having the ring and handing it over to William for Kate has been around since at least 2003 and has appeared in thousands of articles and bios of the brothers and their mother. William quite obviously knows about them. If it was all a fairy story by Burrell why didn?t William tell the correct version at the time of the engagement? He had no reason to fear Burrell unlike his father and TMIG. It could be corrected in a couple of sentences. Why is it so hard for you to believe that Harry received his mother?s ring rather than William?

Amabel2

so Paul asked for permisson, presumably seeing himself as a servant who had to do so. I thought that he took a dress for Diana and make up and some ornaments for her to wear, and his role was to prepare her in death. 
As for William, do you really think he was going to get into a "he said she said" with Paul Burrell?
it isn't all that important in itself but I have always wondered if they did get those particular keepsakes and i did not know what the origins of the story were.  But since it is PB...  i'll take the whole thing with a grain or 2 of salt.  If Harry got the ring what is this thing about the ring "sitting on the throne of England?" or words ot that effect?  unless that was said after Will got the ring.

Curryong

Yes, that was said several years afterwards.

I believe the Ambassador?s wife offered a black dress with a shawl neckline for Diana to be dressed in for the viewing by her ex husband and sisters. Burrell had expected to dress her in an outfit she had taken with her on the trip but he discovered that Al Fayed had smuggled all Diana?s clothing in her hotel suite back to his estate in England. He sent them on to KP later however. And Diana was professionally made up and coiffured for the viewing but not by Burrell. He was there with her in the room for a while weeping and sobbing, though.

Amabel2

so really Paul had no role other than weeping beside Dis' corpse. I thought from what I've read - some of it from him, that he and Tebbut went there to help out and care for her in death and that he took some clothes and make up and her rosary beads to Paris so that she could be nicely dressed for being viewed by her family... Again, I suspect he was exaggerating what he was doing there in Paris, so that's why i find it easy to believe that he's exaggerated his role in the boys getting keepsakes...
I know the Brit Ambassadors wife gave a cocktail dress for the body but I thought that Paul would bring some favorite gown from home as well.
I seem to remember him also going on about Lucia de Flecha and her visiting Dianas body -
I agree that he genuinely loved Dian in his weird way but it doesn't alter the fact that he has lied and fantasised and used her memory for 20 odd years..

Curryong

He did take makeup and rosary beads for Diana, and put the beads there for her, but the British Embassy in Paris had taken over arrangements for the care of the corpse before he got there (as Charles was about to appear) as far as her appearance went. Charles saw PB and asked how he was feeling. Paul knew Diana had taken a suitable dress with her to Paris but Al Fyad had quickly snaffled the clothing and flown it out.

Amabel2

why did MAF snaffle Dis' clothes?  I felt very sorry for him the oother night when I watched a prog about Di's death, but he is an awful man... still it must be terrible to have lost his son.. no matter how aimless Dodi was.

Curryong

That photo was from 1985 at a charity do for Dr Bernardo?s homes. Oldfield has recently spoken of how he faced financial ruin after Diana retired from royal life and stopped buying his gowns.

Amabel2

Quote from: Curryong on September 02, 2022, 12:04:09 AM
That photo was from 1985 at a charity do for Dr Bernardo?s homes. Oldfield has recently spoken of how he faced financial ruin after Diana retired from royal life and stopped buying his gowns.
surely if he was a successful designer he wasnt' mainly dependent on Diana buying gowns from him?  even if she stopped there were other customers surely?  I saw him on a show about her at the weekend and he really had aged.. a bit of a shock.  and Diana was still buying clothes, she wore less ballgowns and more casual clothes but Im sure she was still going to designers rather than buying down the High street

LouisFerdinand

TLLK

Here's one of most complete lists I've seen of Diana's jewelry of note (personal/BRF/gifts) that was worn in her lifetime and where the pieces likely went after her death.

Diana Princess of Wales| Emerald and Diamond Choker | Royal Jewels Princess of Wales

TLLK

One of Diana's more eclectic jewelry choices is set to be auctioned soon.

Iconic cross pendant worn by Princess Diana at charity ball is set to fetch ?120,000 at auction  | Daily Mail Online

QuoteA famous necklace worn by Princess Diana is expected to fetch up to ?120,000 at auction. The Attallah Cross, a crucifix pendant by jewellers Garrard ? embossed with gold, silver, amethyst and diamonds ? will lead the Sotheby?s annual Royal & Noble sale, which begins on January 6.

Diana memorably wore it to a charity ball in 1987 with an Elizabethan-style Catherine Walker gown. The piece reflected her lifelong relationship with Garrard, which adapted The Spencer Tiara for her wedding day and from whom she selected her sapphire engagement ring in 1981.

The Attallah Cross was owned by the former boss of Asprey and Garrard, the late Naim Attallah, who would often lend it to Diana to wear at events.

wannable

Quote from: Nightowl on January 19, 2023, 07:47:49 AM
Not sure where to put this yet it is about Diana's jewels....I got a new alert today that Kim Kardashian bought Diana's amethyst and diamond cross necklace for 200 grand. Diana it says wore it with her own pearls....sad to see that any of Diana's jewels were sold for I thought both boys would get all of them.

@Nightowl

The Amthyst and diamond cross was borrowed rather than her property.

Over the years, she would go on to collaborate with Garrard, borrowing her favourite amethyst and diamond cross on many more occasions, as recalled by Ramsay Attallah, whose father, Naim Attallah, CBE (1931-2021) was joint managing director and eventually group chief executive of Asprey & Garrard. It was under his patronage that Garrard saw continued growth and success, remaining crown jewellers until 2007. As good friends of the Princess, Attallah acquired the cross shortly after her death and it has remained with the family, unworn, ever since. Sotheby?s is proud to present this incredibly rare piece of royal history in the Royal and Noble sale.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2023/royal-noble/amethyst-and-diamond-pendant-circa-1920

wannable

Quote from: Nightowl on January 19, 2023, 07:47:49 AM
Not sure where to put this yet it is about Diana's jewels....I got a new alert today that Kim Kardashian bought Diana's amethyst and diamond cross necklace for 200 grand. Diana it says wore it with her own pearls....sad to see that any of Diana's jewels were sold for I thought both boys would get all of them.

@Nightowl

The Amthyst and diamond cross was borrowed rather than her property.

Over the years, she would go on to collaborate with Garrard, borrowing her favourite amethyst and diamond cross on many more occasions, as recalled by Ramsay Attallah, whose father, Naim Attallah, CBE (1931-2021) was joint managing director and eventually group chief executive of Asprey & Garrard. It was under his patronage that Garrard saw continued growth and success, remaining crown jewellers until 2007. As good friends of the Princess, Attallah acquired the cross shortly after her death and it has remained with the family, unworn, ever since. Sotheby?s is proud to present this incredibly rare piece of royal history in the Royal and Noble sale.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2023/royal-noble/amethyst-and-diamond-pendant-circa-1920

Nightowl

^Thank You Wannable for the info on that gorgeous cross, I love amethyst.   

wannable

sara8150

https://www.itv.com/news/2023-01-21/princess-dianas-favourite-dress-to-be-auctioned-in-the-us
Late Diana,Princess of Wales?s famous dress to auction before she died she took pictures in vanity fair magazine