Diana's Fashion, Jewelry and accessories- All Years

Started by LouisFerdinand, December 14, 2015, 10:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

royalanthropologist

In effect whether or not Diana made a will did not matter in the end because the end result is that her executors did exactly as would have been the case had she died intestate: divided up the property equally between her two children. Her statement of wishes was ignored, death duties paid, the BRF took back the jewels that belonged to the royal collection, her apartment was stripped bear and the rest of her chattels distributed equally between W&H. The one difference is that if she had died intestate, W&H would get their share as soon as they were 18. Now they had to wait until they were 25 (a wise move on Diana's part given how silly kids can be with money).
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

amabel

Quote from: royalanthropologist on January 27, 2018, 08:53:42 AM
In effect whether or not Diana made a will did not matter in the end because the end result is that her executors did exactly as would have been the case had she died intestate: divided up the property equally between her two children. Her statement of wishes was ignored, death duties paid, the BRF took back the jewels that belonged to the royal collection, her apartment was stripped bear and the rest of her chattels distributed equally between W&H. The one difference is that if she had died intestate, W&H would get their share as soon as they were 18. Now they had to wait until they were 25 (a wise move on Diana's part given how silly kids can be with money).
well yes I'm just surprised that she named her mother as executor, as generally one would expect her mother to pass away before her.. and it wouldl be better to leave it to Sarah and Jane Spencer perhaps.  But I think she didnt' intend this to be her final will, she had problably been advised when she and Charles separated that she should make a new Will and she just divided her property between the boys equally which seems fair.  So her jewellery is probably still in store and when Harry gets married, he will have items he can use for his wife.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Im thinking with Jane married to Robert Fellows and being de facto on the other side, and Sarah and her's relationship being complex, and Charles Spencer busy with the Earldom, she likely wanted her mother as a possible counterweight and some, cough, aged wisdom in case she died young.

Im no lawyer, and sometimes entire wills of prominent ppl get contested and overturned, but ive noticed that usually codicils get overturned more than wills that are rewritten properly.

I dont blame her for that, we all think at our mid 30s we've still got forever still to live.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

LouisFerdinand

Did any jewellery go to Diana's sisters, Lady Sarah and Lady Jane?

Curryong

No jewellery went to Diana's mother or sisters as far as I know. I think Diana put a codicil in her will leaving all jewellery that didn't go back to the Crown at the time of her divorce to be divided between her boys. Though, as of this moment it looks as if Kate got the lion's share.

amabel

No, her will was quite simple, just leaving everything to the boys.  She then wrote a letter of wishes, later on, asking that part of her fortune, should be divided among her 17 god children.  but this doesn't have the full force of a will so the Spencers interpreted it as just giving a keepsake to each godchild.

royalanthropologist

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on February 09, 2018, 08:27:30 PM
Did any jewellery go to Diana's sisters, Lady Sarah and Lady Jane?

Not as far as I am aware. Diana was not a dynast so she was entitled to leave her things to anyone she wanted. As it happened she chose her children and her godchildren (although the Spencers shamelessly put paid to that). Maybe the pieces will become more prominent once William is king.

About the early will, I always got the feeling reading in-between the lines that Diana had an inkling that she was not going to last very long after the divorce. Some of her letters were eerily close to the mark about her end. Maybe it was her astrologers who told her but she seemed to have known right from the start that she would never live to be a queen and later on she was dropping hints that the end was not far off. Of course it was all tied up with paranoia but the end result was the same.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Duch_Luver_4ever

I also doubt perhaps aside from some trinket or something of sentimental value (and I dont think either Jane or Sarah were swept up with sentimentality as far as Diana) that any jewelry was left to them.

I think like @royalanthropologist  said, she knew her time was limited, and from an early time that she wouldnt be queen. Now it could be that she knew things not divulged, she did keep tapes of convos with staff members and such aside from what we know. Like the old saying goes, youre not paranoid if theyre really out to get you....but there were at times some overconcern about that, but it was wrapped up in genuine reasons for concern, its what makes her story so compelling. Unless they open up the royal archives and unshred the letters she had, we'll never know the whole story....

Then theres her interest in astrology and her earlier, I dont want to say psychic abilities, but she did have shall we say a connection to things ethereal???? Whatever you want to call it :shrug: Plus the letter was pretty bang on for manner of death, what prompted that???

"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

royalanthropologist

You know I am at an age where I no longer question peoples' belief systems. Some people think that astrology is a lot of BS but if it was BS, people would not follow it like they do.

The will was very simple but when you really read it and the provisions, it is somewhat unnerving. What a turn up for the books if 100 years from now, the archives are released confirming every thing she said was true??? Surely that would be a monumental injustice.

I would prefer that all the details are published now so that the if there is any price to be paid, it is paid now.

As for the jewels, I hope William has the good sense to share with his brother. Those jewels were meant to be worn by pretty young princesses and it would be a pity if they were locked up for ageing queens and dowagers.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Well there are several megalithic structures built to honor the stars and the zodiac, for example The Sphinx is now thought to be built to honor the constellation Leo. As for more practical examples, Rudolph Steiner and his biodynamic farming method uses the cycles of the planets and stars in its methods, think of astrology meets organic farming, but practitioners swear by it.

As for the will, papers and any secrets, its no guarantee, but in the early to mid 80s they tried to say she was mad about what was going on in her marriage and she was right, whos not to say she might be right about this as well?

I'd also like things opened so those responsible will pay (heck the UK could get rid of their deficit by charging fans for a few minutes in locked room with the guilty parties). But I doubt any revelations will be made until at least HM, PP, and C&C are gone, the boys might in their late middle age reveal what they have access to, but by the time William is king, will he be a part of the system enough to keep its secrets????

I hope W&H share Diana's jewels, we'll know more after the wedding im guessing.

TLLK

Quote from: amabel on February 10, 2018, 12:02:30 PM
No, her will was quite simple, just leaving everything to the boys.  She then wrote a letter of wishes, later on, asking that part of her fortune, should be divided among her 17 god children.  but this doesn't have the full force of a will so the Spencers interpreted it as just giving a keepsake to each godchild.
Yes this letter is why her Godchildren didn't receive exactly what she'd wished for them.

Duch_Luver_4ever

I wished Diana (or more specifically her legal advisor who took the letter) had instructed her more persuasively to formally change the will to have her wished respected. Between that and the running the Memorial fund into the ground, really soured me on Sarah.

IDK if it was greed, incompetence or having the last word on a sibling rivalry but it was rubbish.

dianab

i dont think sarah and jane felt much genuine fraternity for their youngest sister Diana...

BTW this earrings are amazing, i dont believe they belong to the windsors (ie: wedding gifts jewels)
https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/4be74a84b60498d60713e7bdfa3deba1/5B1FB9C9/t51.2885-15/e35/12142128_534271876721274_650995728_n.jpg?se=8&ig_cache_key=MTEwNzg5MTMwOTg2MjgzODA4MA%3D%3D.2
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/0b/5f/12/0b5f12b06aed1438e84adf6764c55647.jpg

I wonder if kate or meghan will be seen with this pair

Duch_Luver_4ever

They would look nice on either of them, given the time diff in the two brothers marriages, theres been ample opportunity for W&K to sample the lions share of the jewels, we dont know what kind of storage situation they set up after Diana's passing as far as ease of access.

TLLK

Quote from: dianab on February 15, 2018, 11:27:42 PM
i dont think sarah and jane felt much genuine fraternity for their youngest sister Diana...

BTW this earrings are amazing, i dont believe they belong to the windsors (ie: wedding gifts jewels)
https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/4be74a84b60498d60713e7bdfa3deba1/5B1FB9C9/t51.2885-15/e35/12142128_534271876721274_650995728_n.jpg?se=8&ig_cache_key=MTEwNzg5MTMwOTg2MjgzODA4MA%3D%3D.2
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/0b/5f/12/0b5f12b06aed1438e84adf6764c55647.jpg

I wonder if kate or meghan will be seen with this pair
Diamond and aquamarine drops and I agree @dianab that they were not a wedding gift from a foreign country or gifted to her by another member of the BRF.

Duch_Luver_4ever

I want to say they were part of the set with the Aquamarine ring @TLLK , but I wouldnt bet my life on it...for it was sapphires or nothing as far as her jewels.

TLLK

Okay this is what I have found on the earrings. First seen at the Cannes Film festival and last seen in 1996. Most likely still with the brothers as it appears they were part of her personal collection.

Princess Diana?s Aquamarine Earrings | The Royal Watcher

QuoteThe last recorded appearance of the large aquamarine earrings was at a dinner during a 1996 visit to Italy (thanks @Davidls6). Their current location is unknown, but they probably belong to the Duke of Cambridge or Prince Harry.

QuoteI want to say they were part of the set with the Aquamarine ring @TLLK
Yes she did own the large aquamarine ring, but it was purchased at a later date. IMHO the brothers will likely set up a private "foundation" for their wives to make use of their late mother's jewelry.  :Jen:

Duch_Luver_4ever

Nice link @TLLK see that pic of her in Rio in 91, OMG so fierce and lovely  :brightside:

Your idea of a foundation made me think of an idea, imagine if they set up a charitable foundation where stars could donate in exchange for a limited borrow, for say BAFTA/Oscars of some SELECT jewellery, nothing with deep sentimental value , etc.

That way they could raise some money for charity and at the same time still be available for K&M to wear.

amabel

[q[/quote]
Quote from: TLLK on February 10, 2018, 04:55:50 PM
Yes this letter is why her Godchildren didn't receive exactly what she'd wished for them.
yes, if she had really been serious about it, she should have added a codicil or remade her Will...

Kritter

Princess Diana?s iconic fashion moments: From wedding dress to revenge dress | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

QuoteThough her legacy extends far-beyond fashion, Princess Diana is arguably the greatest style icon of the 20th century. We revisit her most memorable looks from the iconic wedding gown to her infamous revenge dress.

Trudie

Diana was the most beautifully turned out woman no matter the occasion from casual to the most formal she nailed every look and was far from playing safe and frumpy in her choices.

Kritter

Yes she was a true icon. One would have never seen her have chicken feathers coming out of her head.

Curryong

An interesting observation about Diana's Elvis gown in a doco on the influence of the Windsor women on fashion through the ages. Apparently the gown was based on an outfit of Queen Alexandra's.

Twitter

TLLK

TBH I don't know how Alexandra and Mary were able to walk upright considering their ropes of pearls, brooches and stomachers that they frequently wore all at the same time!

Curryong

Yes, Alexandra was bad enough but Mary was a veritable jewelled pillar when she wore all her bling! Ramrod straight and very queenly, though, even though those tiaras and heavy necklaces must have really hurt after a few hours.