The Duke and Duchess of Windsor Discussion

Started by cinrit, October 16, 2011, 02:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessOfPeace

A controversial new book claims the Duke of Windsor was a GOOD EGG after all! But as biographer of the disgraced playboy, I VERY much doubt it, says historian ALEXANDER LARMAN -

Daily Mail: A controversial new book claims the Duke of Windsor was a GOOD EGG after all! But as biographer of the disgraced playboy, I VERY much doubt it, says

Curryong

A slightly different view of the Duke of Windsor from Tommy Lascelles, a courtier and man who actually knew Edward very very well over many years, unlike this author!

Prince Charmless: A damning portrait of Edward VIII | Daily Mail Online

?Many people have asked me: 'Could nobody have averted the ultimate catastrophe of the Abdication?' My answer has always been, and always will be, 'Nobody'. Given his character, and hers, the climax was as inevitable as that of a Greek tragedy.

He had, in my opinion and experience, no comprehension of the ordinary axioms of rational, or ethical, behaviour; fundamental ideas of duty, dignity and self-sacrifice had no meaning for him.

And so isolated was he in the world of his own desires that I do not think he ever felt affection - absolute, objective affection - for any living being, not excluding the members of his own family.

Consequently, when he came to the parting of the way, he stood there tragically and pitifully alone. It was an isolation of his own making, and the responsibility for it is entirely his own.

There was no hope of his finding the right answer to his problem in his own heart, and he had himself destroyed the possibility of others finding it for him.?

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

PrincessOfPeace

Treachery! How the disgraced Duke of Windsor plotted to usurp the young Princess Elizabeth - while his brother, the King, lay seriously ill... -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13066677/Treachery-Duke-Windsor-usurp-Princess-Elizabeth.html

PrincessOfPeace

In defence of the Duchess of Windsor: After the Mail revealed Prince Philip disparagingly called Meghan 'DoW', biographer JANE MARGUERITE TIPPETT argues Wallis Simpson could have revolutionised the Monarchy if given half a chance -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/royals/article-13077753/Defence-Duchess-DoW-revolutionised-Royal-Charles-Camilla-meghan.html

LouisFerdinand

What was the first royal event Prince Edward brought Wallis Simpson to?

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on April 10, 2024, 10:09:31 PM
What was the first royal event Prince Edward brought Wallis Simpson to?

Officially? Well, as Edward was terrified of his father he denied that there was any relationship between himself and this married woman. Once he settled down at Fort Belvedere it was clear though that Wallis (with husband Ernest tagging along at least at first) was practically the chatelaine there. Certainly the disgusted servants there were annoyed at her giving orders to them.

He insisted on inviting his 'friend' and her husband (to preserve the shred of propriety the relationship had left) to things like Ascot and to the Jubilee Ball in May 1935, though apparently on more than one occasion the King had red-pencilled the Simpsons' name on guest lists.

However, in November 1934 Edward did screw up his courage and he took Wallis to an evening soirée at BP. Her name had slipped through. Neither the King, Queen or indeed PM Baldwin (who also met her) showed any enthusiasm for this bold move. Restrained politeness was the order of the day on their side, as Wallis later observed.

Never at any time did Edward convey to the King his true feelings for Wallis, and certainly the fact he'd been having an affair with her for at least two years before George V's death was never discussed with either parent. Both the King and Queen similarly showed a marked reluctance to sit down and have a deep conversation about it all with their son, perhaps because Edward had a perverse streak in his nature and they didn't want to provoke a reaction.

PrincessOfPeace

The day that Wallis Simpson lost £1.3m of jewellery in an utterly mysterious Home Counties heist. But did the hard-up Duchess of Windsor steal her OWN jewels for the insurance cash, asks historian ALEXANDER LARMAN?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13249793/Wallis-jewellery-heist-Duchess-steal-jewels.html