Prince Harry's army career

Started by v_voom, January 21, 2013, 07:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

georgiana996

:paparazzi: :paparazzi:  lol i love how after 4 months the paps went crazy and DM made 5-6 articles on the same day about him haha miss him huh  :hehe:
Surround yourself with people who are going to lift you higher.

chavita

Why is it such a big deal that he has killed? That is obviously his job, to protect the team. He'll kill if he has to. That's the whole purpose of flying an Apache.
Harryite #0009

DaFluffs

His comments about killing the Taliban in Afghanistan makes me nervous.  If I were the Taliban and reading the comments I'd feel taunted.  I'm surprised that the military or Department of Defense hasn't asked him to limit what he says....

Glad he's back but really really nervous about him being targeted by terrorists.....

Mike

Mark Twain:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
and
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

Jenee

Quote from: Eri on January 22, 2013, 01:27:51 PM
@  Jenee Is the person who wrote that really a journalist?  :ugh: They should hand their diploma immediately !!!

Where you talking about The Guardian article? Did you read it? The title sucks, but the article itself is well informed and well written, and it has some nice harryisms :happy:  I am not sure if the journalist who writes the article has any say over the title that gets published on the Web :shrug:
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Eri

I love his no holds barer interviews I don't get why he should act like he hasn't done his JOB as a SOLDIER killing THE ENEMY!!!  :notamused:

RoyalB

Harry's time in Afghanistan looks well on him.  He looks leaner and fitter for it.   :blowkiss:

It will be lovely to have him home.  We wait to see what's next for him, with baited breath ...   One thing's for sure, the press will never leave him alone when it comes to girlfriends.  My bet is that it won't be long before the speculation starts again!

I love Royal!

Way to go Prince Harry!  He is an asset to Great Britain and to his family.  He has served his country and his Queen with honor and distinction.  Welcome home Harry!

Jenee

Quote from: Eri on January 22, 2013, 03:53:08 PM
I love his no holds barer interviews I don't get why he should act like he hasn't done his JOB as a SOLDIER killing THE ENEMY!!!  :notamused:

I agree. Harry's honesty and refusal to play the game is refreshing and admirable.

Eri

^ Roll eyes at the British press ...giving a platform to TERRORISTS to throw insults at Harry and as an extend to all the men with him they should be ashamed!!!   :fuming: :fuming: :fuming: :fuming: They might not like Harry but at least respect the fact that he is out there fighting for his Country and as an extend for the safety of those looser "journalists" that give TERRORISTS  a platform to bash him  :ugh:.

Sandor

Quote from: DaFluffs on January 22, 2013, 03:06:42 PM
His comments about killing the Taliban in Afghanistan makes me nervous.  If I were the Taliban and reading the comments I'd feel taunted.  I'm surprised that the military or Department of Defense hasn't asked him to limit what he says....

Glad he's back but really really nervous about him being targeted by terrorists.....

I think if he was going to be targeted it would have happened when it was first announced that Harry was going to Afghanistan.  It would be simpler for him to be attacked there than in the UK.

And really...did anyone think he wasn't going to kill anyone?  :doh: That's kind of the point of going, after all.

Nor do I see why anyone should care if the Taliban bash him;  who was it who said a man should be judged not by his friends but by the enemies he makes?  So let them bash away, (nobody cares what they think anyway) and he can continue to hold his head up.

Jenee

My gosh, I do admire Harry. I just watched the interview (Prince Harry's candid interview from Afghanistan | Royal Insight) and it was really great. He's just so honest... he clearly knows who he is and what he wants out of life. You do get the impression though, that he doesn't feel that being a royal is worthwhile. He mentions more than once that he is glad that he's there to do his job (and he emphases "A JOB") which makes me think that he doesn't see his royal duties as a job, or a job worth doing. It makes me wonder if he will be taking a bigger role with Sentabale when he is finished (retired, I assume) from the military. Since that is certainly worth doing (far more so than ribbon cutting and shaking hands). I also get the feeling that he'll go the route of Princess Anne and request that he kids not be titled. With William and Harry seemingly such reluctant royals, I really do wonder about the future of the monarchy. It may be that Republic has some allies on the inside!

BBC Photo Gallery: BBC News - In pictures: Prince Harry in Afghanistan

cinrit

From Twitter:

British Royals ‏@britishroyals
(A number of people from the press seem to think this. Anyone agrees?) Prince Harry must muzzle himself - Telegraph... Prince Harry must muzzle himself - Telegraph ...

QuotePrince Harry Must Muzzle Himself

Prince Harry's recent interview in Afghanistan's Helmand Province shows he has to learn to guard his tongue, to speak more like royalty and less like an Army officer

''Grief is the price we pay for love," the Queen said in her message to New Yorkers after the 9/11 attacks. Next time she chats to her grandson, she might add: "Discretion is the price we pay for privilege."

Never in her 86 years has the Queen been a fraction as indiscreet as Prince Harry was in his interview to mark the end of his tour of duty in Helmand Province this week.

Much of his charm comes from his open, laddish approach to life – it was striking that, after his exploits in Las Vegas last year, hundreds of soldiers rushed to support him, emulating his naked pose. And he himself admits in the interview that he isn't the brightest soldier, dreading his written military tests just as he hated school exams.

But this time, in his cavalier approach to killing the enemy, the take-me-as-you-find-me attitude has let him down. "Take a life to save a life," he said, before making an unfortunate comparison between his skill as an Apache helicopter gunner and his talent for computer games: "It's a joy for me because I'm one of those people who loves playing PlayStation and Xbox, so with my thumbs I like to think that I'm probably quite useful.

Prince Harry must muzzle himself - Telegraph 

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Mike

This "cavalier approach to killing the enemy" can be a defense mechanism for a soldier who has been the target of hostile fire.  It often is a matter of kill or be killed, especially for helicopter crews who are critically vulnerable to the enemy.  Yes, the Apache is armored and designed to take fire, etc. etc., but anything that flies can be shot down. Besides, Harry is in Afghanistan as a soldier not as a royal.
Mark Twain:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
and
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

Catherine3rd

:goodpost: Mike.
As I said, when you see the print, it comes off poor. But when you hear him speak and verbalize, you see the product. A maturing proud soldier.  If the "powers that be" were concerned about what he might say, there would have been NO interview.
What better advert for the forces?? "THE number ONE playboy in the world.... a PRINCE'.
Keep on growing Harry. You did Gran proud. WHOO RAH. :RAFWilliam: :mil5: :mil1:

Blue Clover

Happy Harry is safely on his way home!

Jenee

I disagree with the telegraph article :notamused:

Lothwen

Well, what was he supposed to say when asked that question?  He went over there in a war zone as a soldier who flew an Apache aircraft.  Of course he killed people.  It's what they do.  If he had said no, he'd instantly be branded a liar.
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

Eri

^ But didn't you know Harry CAN'T win!!! Especially with the British RAGS ...

American Royal Fan

Yes, finally, he has left Afghanistan!  :happy20: :happy20: :happy20: :happy20: :happy20: :happy20: :happy20: :happy20: :happy20: :happy20: :happy20: :happy20: :happy20: :happy20: