Royal Historical Facts Potpurri Chat Part 2

Started by PrincessKLS, October 28, 2007, 04:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

No, the Cumberland title is considered permanently suspended, but the House of Hanover has first rights to it. I think Ernst Augustus's father did do some preliminary work on claiming it again decades ago but it never got any further. It's got an awful history anyway--'Butcher'  Cumberland, you can imagine how the Scots would react if any Royal duke today was given it, Ernest Scarface, George III's son who was accused of murdering his valet and plotting against his niece Victoria, (gossip only, but nevertheless) and George his son, the King of Hanover, who went completely blind after an accident as a teenager.

Double post auto-merged: April 30, 2017, 07:52:09 AM

I think Charles gets his biographies checked, I think he got burned over the Dimbleby bio years ago. He's insisted on vetting and meeting his last two biographers, both female Americans!

Tiggy hasn't been an employee of Charles's since 1999. George's first birthday was in 2014. I think Tiggy is now regarded as a friend but perhaps more of a friend to William and Harry since Camilla apparently doesn't care for her very much. Nevertheless, I think if she approached Charles about his grandson in a calm, tactful and sympathetic manner he would listen.

As far as his employees and ex employees go there are some extraordinary stories about Charles's behaviour towards them. I'm rereading Bradford at the moment and the Duchess of Westminster describes how Charles didn't speak to her for the entire weekend when they were house guests together after she mentioned his disastrous Dimbleby interview, and how he bullied his private secretary over the way the Dimbleby interview had been received, shouting over the dinner table according to one witness that it was this man's fault, pointing his finger at him and snarling 'He made me do it!' It was Charles who had allowed himself to be persuaded by Jonathon Dimbleby to do that interview and it was no-one's responsibility but his.

amabel

I don't think you meant the second post to be on this thread.
however re Cumberland I had forgotten about the Scots and WIliam Duke of Cumberland.. but poor George King of hanover.  what has he done that makes the title a "bad one?"
I don't know anything wrong about him, he was blinded in an accident...

Curryong

No, I absentmindedly messed up, thinking of something else!  :P

I didn't mean George's blindness in a sense of his being a bad man, I'm sure he wasn't, simply that good fortune never really accompanied this dukedom and so, it's probably better staying in abeyance.

amabel

so that's Clarence out, and Cumberland.. Albany is in dispute.  Connaught is in the Irish republic! I believe that there was as shrot lived Stuart baby, maybe one fo James II's lot?  who was styled duke of Kendal.... that sounds nice

Curryong

Yes, I think Duke of Kendal sounds very nice. I believe the town is in Cumbria isn't it, used to be Westmorland?  I do think the BRF could be a bit more imaginative with its Dukedoms, especially as a couple of the old ones are not going to be Royal in the next generation.

amabel

No idea where ANY of these places are (except Connaught!).  I rarely go outside London.  but I do think that there should be a historical association wit the RF if they are going to keep up the tradition.

LouisFerdinand

The title in full is Duke of Cumberland and Teviotdale. Cumberland is after the county of Cumberland, England.   
How is Teviotdale part of the title?

LouisFerdinand

Geoffrey III of Anjou was Count of Anjou from 1060 to 1068. He was called le Barbu (the Bearded). 

Louis I was King of the Franks from 814 to 840. He was called the Debonaire.

LouisFerdinand

King Alfonso X of Castile reigned from 1252 to 1284. He was called the Astrologer.   

Boleslaw II of Poland was King of Poland from 1076 to 1079. He was called the Generous.

LouisFerdinand

Vladislav was the King of Serbia from 1234 to 1243. He was referred to as the Crowned.   

Charles III was King of Spain from 1759 to 1788. He was called the Enlightened.

LouisFerdinand

When Prince Carl of Denmark became King of Norway, how did he select Haakon as his regnal name?

TLLK

It was an old Norse name that hadn't been used by a ruler in over 500 years.

QuoteAfter the referendum overwhelmingly confirmed by a 79 percent majority (259,563 votes for and 69,264 against)[4] that Norwegians desired to retain a monarchy, Prince Carl was formally offered the throne of Norway by the Storting (parliament) and was elected on 18 November 1905. When Carl accepted the offer that same evening (after the approval of his grandfather Christian IX of Denmark), he immediately endeared himself to his adopted country by taking the Old Norse name of Haakon, a name which had not been used by kings of Norway for over 500 years.[5] In so doing, he succeeded his great-uncle, Oscar II of Sweden, who had abdicated the Norwegian throne in October following the agreement between Sweden and Norway on the terms of the separation of the union.
From Wikipedia

LouisFerdinand

A regnal name is a formal name which refers to the years of the reign of a monarch.   
What do you think will be the regnal names of future rulers?     
For Spain: Sancho, Henry     
Sancho VII was the King of Navarre from 1194 to 1234.     
Henry IV was the King of Castile from 1454 to 1474.

LouisFerdinand

Ulrika Eleonora was the godmother of Princess Louise Ulrika of Prussia, who was given the name Ulrika after her.

LouisFerdinand

For Prince of Liechtenstein: Karl and Anton Florian     

For Grand Duke of Oldenburg: Friedrich Augustus and Nikolaus

LouisFerdinand

The motto of King Ferdinand V and Queen Isabella I of Spain: Tanto monta, monta tanto   
An explanation of the equality of the monarchs: It's one and the same, Isabella the same as Ferdinand.

LouisFerdinand

For Emperor of Austria: Maximilian and Rudolph

LouisFerdinand

For Kings of Sweden: Eric, Magnus, John (Johan)

LouisFerdinand

King Edward the Confessor of England reigned from 1042 to 1066. His byname the Confessor comes from the religious devotion of his later years.

LouisFerdinand

For Kings of Norway: Magnus   
Magnus VII was King of Norway from 1319 to 1343.

LouisFerdinand

Ivaylo was the Tsar of Bulgaria from 1278 to 1279. He was nicknamed Bardokva ("radish" or "lettuce" in Bulgarian).   
Anund Jacob (1008-1051) was King of Sweden from 1022 until 1051. He is called the Coal-Burner.

LouisFerdinand

Alfonso I of Aragon was the King of Aragon from 1104 to 1134. He was called the Battler.     

:polo: :polo: :polo: :polo: :polo: :polo: :polo: :polo: :polo: :polo: :polo: :polo:

LouisFerdinand

King George IV of Great Britain was referred to as The Prince of Whales.         

King Louis VII of France reigned from 1137 until 1180. He was called the Younger.

LouisFerdinand

Frederick II (1211-1246) was Duke of Austria and Styria from 1230 to 1246. He was known as Frederick the Warlike.   

Selim I was the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire from 1512 to 1520. He was known as Selim the Resolute.

LouisFerdinand

Haakon IV of Norway was the King of Norway from 1217 to 1263. He is sometimes called Haakon the Old.   
:xmarksit: :xmarksit: :xmarksit: :xmarksit: :xmarksit: :xmarksit: :xmarksit: 
Peter II was the King of Portugal from 1683 until 1706. He was nicknamed the Pacific.