Norway-Birthdays and other personal milestones

Started by TLLK, August 18, 2019, 11:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

A thread to discuss birthdays, anniversaries and other milestones

The heir to the heir of the Norwegian throne will be confirmed on August 31, 2019.

Here she is being fitted for the traditional bunad which over half of Norwegian women own and it is considered to be formal wear.

https://gfx.nrk.no/PMpuC35hKD5uXvola83oRQ7dac3QYngQv9Wb03ZoRUvA

There is a possibility that one or more of her foreign royal Godparents will be present.
From Wikipedia

QuoteIngrid Alexandra was baptised by Bishop Gunnar St?lsett in the chapel of the Royal Palace on 17 April 2004. Her paternal grandfather the King, her aunt Princess M?rtha Louise, the Crown Prince of Denmark, the Crown Princess of Sweden, the then Prince of Asturias, and her maternal grandmother Marit Tjessem were her godparents.[1]

MarcoPolo

TLLK

LouisFerdinand

Who is the Confirmation sponsor of Princess Ingrid Alexandra?

Curryong

As far as I know Ingrid Alexandra's confirmation sponsors are the same, in the Luthran tradition, as her godparents. They included Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and King Felipe of Spain, then Prince of Asturias.

TLLK

Documentary on Ingrid Alexandra with footage of her bunad being created with older video as well.
(In Norwegian)

NRK TV ? Ingrid av Norge

TLLK

:wub:

The love of King Harald and Queen Sonja ? Royal Central

A good recap of a royal romance between a crown prince and a commoner who dated for 9 years before receiving permission to marry.

LouisFerdinand

Amabel2

Quote from: TLLK on August 29, 2020, 02:04:41 PM
:wub:

The love of King Harald and Queen Sonja ? Royal Central

A good recap of a royal romance between a crown prince and a commoner who dated for 9 years before receiving permission to marry.

Harald was clearly very determined to marry Sonja.. And there weren't (*still are not) a lot of heirs in the Norwegian RF.  As things stand, with Har and his wife getting on in years, and MM having health problems, there is really only Haakon to support them and  his children are still young.

Curryong

If Harald had not had to wait such a long time before being given permission to marry Sonja there may well have been three children not just the two. I believe Sonja had a miscarriage as well. They were well into their thirties when they wed.

Amabel2

Quote from: Curryong on September 07, 2020, 12:57:48 PM
If Harald had not had to wait such a long time before being given permission to marry Sonja there may well have been three children not just the two. I believe Sonja had a miscarriage as well. They were well into their thirties when they wed.
True but I meant that Harald himself was one of only 3 children and I don't think there were any cousins.. and he was the only son.  If he had insisted on marrying Sonja and  the RF didn't want to give permission, there were not many other royals who could have taken his palce had he decided to sacrifice his position in the RF for her sake.  Its a pretty small royal family, not like the British one.

TLLK

A place to post about the family birthdays,  personal anniversaries and other milestones.

17 facts about Princess Ingrid Alexandra on her 17th birthday ? Royal Central

Quotethe occasion, we have compiled 17 facts about the Princess which you might not have known before:

Following Princess Ingrid Alexandra?s birth, Germany?s leader had to go out and ask German magazines to stop spreading various rumours about the Princess and her origins.
    The Princess was going to have another name. Crown Princess Mette-Marit said in 2018 that had she been born today, she would have had another name. The Crown Princess said: ?We actually intended to call Ingrid Alexandra, Tyra Eufemia, but we thought it was so special that we did not dare to do it?.
    The baptismal dress the Princess used was sewn by the Princess?s great-grandmother, Princess Ingeborg of Sweden.
    Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit broke with the royal tradition when Mette-Marit?s mother, Marit Tjessem, was announced as a godmother. She was a woman of the people. This had never happened in the history of the Norwegian Royal Family until then.
    According to the Royal Court, the Princess has many activities she likes to do. These include skiing and kickboxing. Like the rest of her family, she also enjoys surfing.
    The Princess has a cake named after her. This was the cake that was made for her baptism, composed by the palace?s own chefs. The cake was called ?Raspberry-tart Princess Ingrid Alexandra? and was made of a classic pie crust covered with a thick layer of vanilla cream, topped with fresh raspberries, glazed with a special sauternes gel.

Curryong

What rumours were German magazines spreading about Ingrid-Alexandra? I can understand the gossip rags going to town on the young Mette-Marit, but an infant!!?

I think the name Tyra Eufemia was probably a joke between the parents and never really taken seriously. Was M-M being a bit sarcastic about reporters' queries when she said that I wonder?

I think Ingrid Alexandra will make a fantastic Crown Princess. She seems to be a terrific girl. And the cake sounds yummy!

TLLK

@Curryong-I am as perplexed as you are regarding any specific rumors about Ingrid Alexandra. Typically it's about a baby's health or development.  Nothing stands out in my mind but  still that was seventeen years ago. I do know that the German tabloids do  love to gossip about the Scandinavian and Benelux royals much like their peers in Spain and the UK.

Tyra-I could see that being a choice but "Euphemia?" :unsure:

I'll take Ingrid Alexandra's tart over a Swedish Princess cake because I don't like fondant icing.

Curryong

Perhaps it was casting aspersions at Mette Marit and her previous lifestyle by targeting her baby. Pretty vile stuff if so but then many gossip magazines are revolting.
I don't mind fondant icing so long as it isn't too thick, but that tart sounds absolutely delicious.

TLLK

:bday5: Happy Birthday King Harald ? The Norwegian monarch turns 84-years-old ? Royal Central

QuoteHis Majesty King Harald of Norway celebrates his 84th birthday on Sunday. To mark the occasion, a 21-gun-salute will be fired at noon from the cannons at Akershus Fortress in Oslo. It is tradition in Norway to have a gun salute from 11 fortresses in Norway for the birthdays of King Harald, Queen Sonja, Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit.

The Norwegian King?s birthday is only marked in public when it is a special anniversary, otherwise it is only a private celebration. As the king?s sick leave has been extended to March and due to the pandemic, there will be no big celebration. As the rules are now in Norway, you can have a party for a maximum of 10 people, including your own household. The royals have also said they will follow all the rules. The Royal Court states that the King will stay at his Oslo cabin, Kongss?teren, until March. We can assume that the family will have a small private celebration today.

PrincessOfPeace

PrincessOfPeace

Curryong

A long and for the most part happy and contented reign for Harald. MM?s health condition is a blow but the NRF seems a United one. Strangely I have just been reading about his daughter Martha-Louise and her plans for the future.

LouisFerdinand

Happy Birthday to Queen Sonja!     
:bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake: :bdaycake:

TLLK

Happy 48th Birthday to CP Hakkon.  :bday:

Crown Prince Haakon marks birthday with special family gathering ? Royal Central

QuoteCrown Prince Haakon of Norway celebrates his 48th birthday today. It an official flag day all over Norway to mark the event, but the Crown Prince himself will hold a private celebration. Usually the day is celebrated at the Royal Family?s country house at M?ger? in Tj?me, where the whole family are gathered for a private birthday celebration. This year the day is marked on the royal yacht ?KS Norge?, where the Norwegian royal family are currently spending their holiday, touring Northern Norway.

The Norwegian Royal Yacht is one of the world?s two remaining royal yachts. The other is the Danish Royal Yacht, Dannebrog. The Royal Yacht was a gift from the people of Norway to King Haakon VII in 1947, purchased following a nationwide collection. The ship is owned by King Harald but is manned and maintained by the Royal Norwegian Navy.

Royal birthdays in Norway are celebrated the same way as for most Norwegians and the Crown Prince will spend the day quietly.

Joining the celebrations will be his wife, Crown Princess Mette-Marit and their children, Princess Ingrid Alexandra and Prince Sverre Magnus, as well as his parents, King Harald and Queen Sonja. Haakon?s niece, Maud Angelica Behn, is also with the family.

PrincessOfPeace

The Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Norway have begun celebrations to mark their 20th wedding anniversary with a radio programme in which they talk about love, collaboration and the coronavirus pandemic. In the NRK program "Summer in P2", the Crown Prince and Crown Princess speak about exclusion, illness and 20 years as a married couple.

Norway?s Crown Prince and Princess mark special wedding anniversary with radio broadcast ? Royal Central

Blue Clover

I like the idea of both of them having a radio program, a throwback to the old days when royals communicated by radio.

PrincessOfPeace

Happy 48th birthday to Crown Princess Mette-Marit.