Spain's Royal 'Bad Boy' to Be Sent to UK School

Started by cinrit, September 24, 2014, 01:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteSixteen-year-old Felipe Juan Froilán de Marichalar y Borbón, known to most Spaniards simply as Froilán, has built up a reputation for himself as the 'Prince Harry' of the Spanish royal family.

According to national daily El Mundo, his mother Princess Elena (King Felipe's older sister) forced him to spend most of the summer studying for make-up exams in September in the hope that the teen royal wouldn't have to sit his final exams for a third time.

Despite the €1,500 ($1,900) investment made by his parents, Froilán failed yet again and has since been kicked out of his school as the institution's policy states that no student can stay after failing their end-of-year exams twice.

And so Spain's rebel royal - described by his teachers as having "a big heart" but behaving "like a rascal in class" – is now likely to be enrolled in an exclusive boarding school in Sussex, South East England.

More: Spain's royal 'bad boy' to be sent to UK school - The Local

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteSixteen-year-old Felipe Juan Froilán de Marichalar y Borbón, known to most Spaniards simply as Froilán, has built up a reputation for himself as the 'Prince Harry' of the Spanish royal family.

:lol:

Jennifer

I hope this rumor is not true about Froilan failing school.  :( I wonder what his uncle, King Felipe will say about this.
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

HistoryGirl

Let me take a shot at this one...Prince Harry is the brother of a future king and Froilan is only the nephew of one so they can't possibly be compared...lol sorry I just had to. 

TLLK

Quote from: Jennifer on September 24, 2014, 08:02:15 PM
I hope this rumor is not true about Froilan failing school.  :( I wonder what his uncle, King Felipe will say about this.
Unfortunately I do believe he's failed his exams twice and will need to leave his school.

I'm of the opinion that Felipe Froilan has some learning disabilities that have not been addressed. His parents will have to find a new school or consider homeschooling him.  He and his sister were subjected to intense and IMHO invasive press attention during their parents' separation and divorce. The pair would begin to cry whenever they saw photographers lenses pointed their way in their younger years. Froilan did not do well when he was sent to the UK for school though apparently his sister is enjoying her time at boarding school in the UK.

Jennifer

When I was reading the article, it gave me the impression that he was misbehaving in school and choosing to slack off on studying for exams, like some students do. As for him having an learning disability, it might be possible.  Not all students fail school for the same reasons.

"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

Limabeany

Madeleine had to be taken out of Britain because she partied more than study, if that is true, the UK is not the most appropriate place for a wealthy brat.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Blue Clover

Something is definitely happening in his life that makes it hard for him to perform well in school. I hope he finds an institution that will address his needs and issues.

Jennifer

I agree, Blue Clover. There is still hope for him. I wonder what school his parents is going to send him to next.

HereditaryPrincess

It had also crossed my mind that Froilan might have some kind of learning disability. I wonder if they have tests where children can discover whether they have a learning disability or not - here in the UK children can have dyslexia tests, which a few of my friends when they were of primary school age and they turned out to be positive. My mother thought that I myself had dyslexia in mathematics when I was little as I struggled with it a lot, but I didn't get tested. Turns out it was just the teachers being unclear though, as I improved in mathematics greatly once I started secondary school.

I thought calling him "Spain's Royal Bad Boy" and "the Black Sheep of the family" is a little harsh. I understand that the article mentions him misbehaving in class, but just because he finds school difficult, does not mean that he is the "black sheep" of the House of Borbon. For me, to be the black sheep of a family means that one has to have done something far worse or embarrassing than misbehaving in lessons. "Black sheeps" of the family are also sometimes looked down on by other family members, and I highly doubt the SRF would look down on Froilan because of his learning difficulties.

Blue Clover

Quote from: Jennifer on September 26, 2014, 01:03:44 PM
I agree, Blue Clover. There is still hope for him. I wonder what school his parents is going to send him to next.

:nod: