Sophie appoints a lady-in-waiting

Started by fawbert, November 19, 2009, 01:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fawbert

See in the Telegraph today that the Countess of Wessex has, after 10 years of marriage, appointed her first Lady-in-Waiting in the shape of Miss Sarah Sienesi.

I was beginning to think that the role of Lady-in-Waiting was doomed to extinction. Diana and Fergie appointed a plethora of L-in-W in the 80s, but as far as I'm aware the Duchess of Cornwall has made no appointments.  ;)

Fawbert

Countess of Highgrove

What exactly is a L-I-W? What does she do?

fawbert

She accompanies the countess on official engagements - a sort of female equerry - and in the office deals with correspondence and the diary, &c.
Fawbert

Countess of Highgrove

Thank you for your quick response!  :thumbsup:

Trudie

Well I say good for Sophie after 10 years of marriage and two young children I think Sophie needs the help especially with the office part of her work. I have noticed Sophie more and more increasing her work load to support HM as is her husband. I hope this new lady in waiting becomes a great companion for her on her official engagements.

Claire

I think that problem is that Sophie and Edward share an office and that is simply not fair on their staff.   :PMS: They are terribly overworked and under paid. 
Camilla hired a  LIW shortly before she became engaged to Charles.

Ursula

Quote from: fawbert on November 19, 2009, 01:30:33 PM
See in the Telegraph today that the Countess of Wessex has, after 10 years of marriage, appointed her first Lady-in-Waiting in the shape of Miss Sarah Sienesi.

I was beginning to think that the role of Lady-in-Waiting was doomed to extinction. Diana and Fergie appointed a plethora of L-in-W in the 80s, but as far as I'm aware the Duchess of Cornwall has made no appointments.  ;)

I never realized Sophie didn't have a lady in waiting.  Interesting.  But you're not suggesting that Camilla has been roughing it?   

Claire

I'm actually surprised that this hasn't been given more room in the press as Sarah Sienesi is an old friend of Sophie's.  I expected the tabloids to call nepotism.

fawbert

But no formal appointments of Ladies in Waiting to the Duchess of Cornwall have ever been announced in the Press. In the next reign one wonders whether the Princess Consort, as she'll be known, will appoint a Mistress of the Robes?

--==-
Fawbert

Ursula

Fawbert do you really believe she'll be known as Princess Consort? Do you think she or Charles will settle for that?  Dont mean to go off topic but I wanted to address that part of your comment.. 

Hale

I thought people would actually like to read the article in the Telegraph.  Here it is:

W & K Now have a wedding planner

fawbert

Quote from: Ursula on December 06, 2009, 10:41:33 PM
Fawbert do you really believe she'll be known as Princess Consort? Do you think she or Charles will settle for that?  Dont mean to go off topic but I wanted to address that part of your comment.. 

I do hope that see sense and crown her as Queen Camilla, but let's wait and see.  :thumbsup:
Fawbert

Countess of Highgrove

Well,I suppose once HM is gone,Charles can do whatever he wants,right? I think it will be a HUGE mistake if they do crown her Queen,IMO. She pretty much committed open adultery with Charles that led to the breakup of his marriage. The title of Queen,if given to Camilla,IMO, will tarnish Charles entire Kingship.

fawbert

In law Charles's wife becomes Queen the moment he becomes King. No change has been made to this law. IMHO Charles's kingship will be tarnished if his lawful wife is NOT regognised as Queen.       :windsor1:
Fawbert

Countess of Highgrove

It is my preception,from over the pond,of course,that Camilla has been tolerated as Duchess. If she had used the title Princess of Wales,she would have been a whole lot less tolerated,IMO. Her actions cause a beloved Princess enormous pain and humiliation,and it can be argued, contributed to her death. I have respect for Charles as a leader. I think he is a smart man who can bring much to the table. I do hope he knows better then to push the envelope with Camilla.

Question for you...Could HM have penned some sort of stipulation before C/C married preventing her from holding the title "Queen"?

BTW...I may disagree with you but I do respect your opinions. :thumbsup:

Kate

Quote from: Hale on December 07, 2009, 09:54:46 PM
I thought people would actually like to read the article in the Telegraph.  Here it is:

W & K Now have a wedding planner

So the young lady is truly a wedding planner, but has been quietly hired to be Sophie's LIW,
so she can work quietly behind the scenes under a false title to be able to get the wedding(s)
going. Soooo Sophie really does not have a LIW, merely a person using the title of such..

Thank God they are not using Charles's party planner!!! However, Sophie is still out a LIW....

Got it! ???

Lindelle

Quote from: Countess of Highgrove on November 19, 2009, 02:01:53 PM
What exactly is a L-I-W? What does she do?
Just finished reading a fascinating book you might be interested in to learn more.
'Ladies In Waiting'
From the Tudors to the Present Day.
Author-Anne Somerset.
It starts from The Court Of King Henry and continues to Diana.

Ursula

I'll add it to my list. I'm about to read "The Heart Has Its Reasons" by the Duchess of Windsor. Should be interesting!   

lilibet80

Quote from: Ursula on December 20, 2009, 02:07:36 PM
I'll add it to my list. I'm about to read "The Heart Has Its Reasons" by the Duchess of Windsor. Should be interesting!   

It was ghost written.

Ursula

Thank you, Lilibet. My copy is "in the mail" (I hope!).  :)

lilibet80

Quote from: Ursula on December 20, 2009, 08:29:48 PM
Thank you, Lilibet. My copy is "in the mail" (I hope!).  :)
I think you will enjoy reading it.  Is written well, but certainly not by the Duchess of Windsor.  I believe the same man who ghosted the DOW's autobiography, "A King's Story" wrote this one for the Duchess.  It is very romantic and fun, but don't take it too seriously, just enjoy it.