BAFTA awards include 10 The Crown nominations

Started by Curryong, April 28, 2021, 11:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curryong

BTW don?t know where to post this as The Crown apparently hasn?t been a topic of conversation on this forum since 2016!

However the BAFTA awards nominations have just been announced and  there are ten for The Crown, including one for the latest actor to play Prince Philip, Tobias Menzies. The awards show is televised in early June.

BAFTA TV awards: Small Axe, The Crown and I May Destroy You lead nominations | Ents & Arts News | Sky News

wannable

I hope the BAFTA carries out a ''fun'' event.  People (worldwide) need fun events to watch on TV. The Brits know how to put on a show, they have Royalty as their President, so really really hope W with the help of the Bafta team make it enjoyable.

The Oscars did so bad this year that the Woke USA media were completely passive about it, let the Oscars get thrown under the bus by its critics. Lowest ratings ever in history. One can't start a show with 'I'm going to make a woke speech, I know people will use their remote control to change the channel'. People think its a joke, not a joke, he gives a woke speech for an event that is meant to be glamour, fun, happy...people did use their remote and results: lowest rating ever in history.  :ugh:

Curryong

The Oscars were certainly a huge miss this year. In our household we put it down to a lot of nominations of obscure and ?diverse? films that most people had not even seen. My son is a huge film buff and had never heard of half the nominations. They sounded pretty dreary as well.

Especially in a pandemic IMO people want bright, cheery, funny, a bit of a lift when they go to the cinema. We didn?t watch the show, and haven?t for years. Due to the time difference we get news of who won on our 6pm news anyway, before the Oscars go on a particular channel at about 7:30pm.

The BAFTAs don?t usually take themselves as seriously as the Oscars do, but we?ll see. In the circumstances we are in now it would be nice to see some lightheartedness.

wannable

Especially in a pandemic IMO people want bright, cheery, funny, a bit of a lift when they go to the cinema.

^This  :goodpost:

Macrobug67

Fun and lighthearted would be great.

Tobias M was amazing.  He is an incredible actor.  He played two totally different characters in Outlander.  One you loved. And the other loathed.   His character in GoT was pitiful (meaning his acting was point on).  And his PP was completely different again.  So many actors play the the same character.  Like Mel Gibson - I see Mel Gibson, not a character, over and over.   So I would like Tobias M to win. 

Oscars were pathetic. 

TLLK

I've really enjoyed Tobias M. since I first saw him in Rome as Brutus. IMHO one of the best actors of his generation and I'm glad that more people have the chance to see him in hit shows like Outlander and The Crown.

Macrobug67

Amabel2

if the Crown got all these nominations, I can't imagine how bad the BAFTAS have become.  Its terrible rubbish.....

wannable

I'm delusional, hoping and thinking they (William and the Bafta team) do something happy rather than woke political change the channel this year for TV audience worldwide. 

Tragedy as this person has been taken his award away (with due reason). So apparently awards were distributed, but the theatre show will be held in July this year?!

'He's a sexual predator': Noel Clarke's Bulletproof co-stars say sex harassment claims are 'UK film industry's best kept secret' and 'it is about time' he is exposed after groping and bullying accusations